House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Way Down

Toshiba Lcd Tv Fault

We have a Toshiba LCD 15" TV, which judging by the fault (sound but no picture until TV "warmed up") sounds like the screen inverter is on the way out.

Does anyone know if the cost of the repair would be economical? I have no idea how much this would be, and costs a few quid just to have someone diagnose.

TBH, I am surprised that a Tosh TV just over 2 years old has died so quickly - doesn't get excessive use as only a second TV.

Of course, no extended warranty was purchased, as we prefer to self insure when buying electrical goods. Some you win, some you lose. :(

We have a Toshiba LCD 15" TV, which judging by the fault (sound but no picture until TV "warmed up") sounds like the screen inverter is on the way out.

Does anyone know if the cost of the repair would be economical? I have no idea how much this would be, and costs a few quid just to have someone diagnose.

TBH, I am surprised that a Tosh TV just over 2 years old has died so quickly - doesn't get excessive use as only a second TV.

Of course, no extended warranty was purchased, as we prefer to self insure when buying electrical goods. Some you win, some you lose. :(

If its only two years old and is not your main TV, you may have a case for it being repaired under warranty anyway, gotta be worth getting in touch with the shop or Tishiba direct to try your luck. I dont bother with the extended warrantees either, but tend to buy elec good from John Lewis as they give at least 2 years on everything (I think)

Seen as you know what a screen inverter is and 99% of the forum probably doesn't, me thinks you already know the answer. ;)

Have you tried slapping it yet? On an old CRT we had, my Dad had to put a screwdriver above the "bulgy" bit at the back and hit it with a hammer. I'm surprised he isn't entered into the Darwin awards to be honest. It did the trick though, for a while.

Thanks folks.

I only think it might be the screen inverter after searching for "toshiba lcd no picture" on Google. Quite a few others have had the same problem.

Only 15" as that's what fits where it sits. ;)

I doubt the shop or Toshiba would be interested since out of warranty.

I think I'll give the 'ammer n screwdriver trick a miss!

The old CRT portable it replaced lasted about 12 years. Don't make them like they used to.

You will never know if you dont ask. Its not that uncommon, I have had things fixed out of warrantee for free on numerous occasions, I can be an awkward customer at times though.

Thanks folks.

I only think it might be the screen inverter after searching for "toshiba lcd no picture" on Google. Quite a few others have had the same problem.

Only 15" as that's what fits where it sits. ;)

I think I'll give the 'ammer n screwdriver trick a miss!

Aye, that's purely for old CRTs, and those with a screw loose, like Poppa Jimothy. lol

Im getting p1ssed off with toshiba too. Once had a great laptop from them. Recently bought a portable hard drive off them which decided to lose years of MP3 and movie files. Says made in Slovakia on the bottom of it too. If i wanted to buy commie crap i would. Idiots. Beginning to think whats the point of branded goods, they all outsource to mud hut dwellers anyway.

Im getting p1ssed off with toshiba too. Once had a great laptop from them. Recently bought a portable hard drive off them which decided to lose years of MP3 and movie files. Says made in Slovakia on the bottom of it too. If i wanted to buy commie crap i would. Idiots. Beginning to think whats the point of branded goods, they all outsource to mud hut dwellers anyway.

You can't even guarantee two identical manufacturer's models come from the same factory. Production is constantly migrating to the next poorest area that's had a bit of infrastructure put in.

Guest DisposableHeroes

I took apart an LCD recently, to try and fix it. High voltages those things. It managed to shoot me across the room, like a cartoon sketch.

Still broken, the LCD that is.

Seen as you know what a screen inverter is and 99% of the forum probably doesn't, me thinks you already know the answer. ;)

Have you tried slapping it yet? On an old CRT we had, my Dad had to put a screwdriver above the "bulgy" bit at the back and hit it with a hammer. I'm surprised he isn't entered into the Darwin awards to be honest. It did the trick though, for a while.

Since i am one of the 99% what is a screen inverter and how did you deduce that was the problem if you are not a tv repair person.