House Price Crash Forum

After a couple of weeks of apparently unjustified gains (at least in terms of what common sense would dictate given the state of the 'recovery') the FTSE seems to be turning a corner.

Are we going to see a sharp turnaround or a gradual fall much the same flavour as the recent rise?

Or... a record gain tomorrow?

Q

It has repeatedly failed to breach the 4600 resistance line in any meaningful manner so all this palaver in the press is just a load of ******** methinks. I think it will be a steady move back down. Having said that I don't have any money at stake in it, just my two cents

After a couple of weeks of apparently unjustified gains (at least in terms of what common sense would dictate given the state of the 'recovery') the FTSE seems to be turning a corner.

Are we going to see a sharp turnaround or a gradual fall much the same flavour as the recent rise?

Or... a record gain tomorrow?

Q

The FTSE has NEVER risen for 12 days in a row apparently. Today was day 12. This is probably a pause in the self-pleasuring of the rampers and spinners in order not to look entirely ridiculous breaking records set during bull manias.

It has repeatedly failed to breach the 4600 resistance line in any meaningful manner so all this palaver in the press is just a load of ******** methinks. I think it will be a steady move back down. Having said that I don't have any money at stake in it, just my two cents

TA has repeatedly failed to predict the market in any meaningful manner so all this palaver on here is just a load of ******** methinks. have no idea what the market will do next

TA has repeatedly failed to predict the market in any meaningful manner so all this palaver on here is just a load of ******** methinks. have no idea what the market will do next

miaow!

:P

I don't know what it will do either. Personally I think TA has its uses, but I can understand the skepticism.

have no idea what the market will do next

I think that is the problem - fundamentals appear to be out to the window and everything seems to be sentiment/spin/hope against hope driven.

Q

I think that is the problem - fundamentals appear to be out to the window and everything seems to be sentiment/spin/hope against hope driven.

Q

I agree it is impossible to predict what would happen next with certainty. However with fundamentals out of the window, I think a lot of people must be using TA which would create a self fulfilling prophecy to a point.

Like I said, I am not putting my money where my mouth is so feel free to rip me apart

Its been said that the market is being manipulated by the so called intervention squad. I don't know what levels they will go to or have the funds for but in my opinion with a lot of angry people in the Uk having lost pensions endowments etc if the market went to say 2500 what would be the mood of the people just before an election, so I would expect them to keep the market at around today's levels.

It turned about 3 months ago - which doesn't mean to say it won't turn again!

Some construction investors seem very bullish at the moment, like they're driving the market up by buying (or getting other people to buy!).

Remember that with lots of shares still worth a fraction of what they were 2 years ago, much smaller sums of cash, relatively, can be used to manipulate the prices.

Edited by blankster

4,650 has failed twice now, in the same way 4,500 failed 7 or 8 times.

Noel's right of course, it is impossible to predict the future, which seems to be the basis upon which he discredits TA and thus prefers to ignore price levels entirely.

You can take a horse to water and all that.......

hmm pound weak, FTSE strong...I wonder how that works then :lol:

Think about how all those foriegn currency earnings from overseas operations convert into to more or less pounds when the pound is strong or weak. Might give you an idea.

no market in Colchester, thats Wednesdays.

sometimes its busy, others its not.

bit like the stock markets I suppose.

I have a self acknowledged 50% record fwiw

1 right & 1 completely wrong. :D

mind you I'm no financial planner, I mean if I did it for a living & got it completely wrong then I would be a complete ar$e & probably slope off for 12 months so people would forget my huge mistake. ;)

I have a self acknowledged 50% record fwiw

1 right & 1 completely wrong. :D

mind you I'm no financial planner, I mean if I did it for a living & got it completely wrong then I would be a complete ar$e & probably slope off for 12 months so people would forget my huge mistake. ;)

Do you wear cardigans and like peanuts?

So nothing to do with foreign cash holders dumping-out to equity?

Nothing to do with banks speculating with TARP funds?

Is the Emerging Market Bubble About to Burst?

Need a safe haven?

I'm no expert but I think most stocks listed on the FTSE do not reflect the dire state of the UK economy as so much of their earnings come from overseas operations. TESCO for example will have about 65% of its 2009 earnings from outside the UK.

So don't treat what the London markets do as a reflection of the UK's economic health or otherwise.

4,650 has failed twice now, in the same way 4,500 failed 7 or 8 times.

Noel's right of course, it is impossible to predict the future, which seems to be the basis upon which he discredits TA and thus prefers to ignore price levels entirely.

You can take a horse to water and all that.......

I don't discredit evidence based TA

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Evidence-Based-Tec...l/dp/0470008741

just the vast majority of practitioners that don't appear to use this approach.

as a total amateur i'm fully expecting the equity markets to continue being irrational and upwardly mobile until around october, when there will be another Oktoberfest for bears. China is looking especially tenuous... apparently novice home-traders are piling in in their millions, and that never ends well

the good thing is, if i'm wrong, i don't really care. i don't have a penny in it. once again i regret not taking my own advice (buying Ford at cents on the dollar...)

but yes. October