House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Bsm Not So British

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8172233.stm

BSM, the UK's biggest driving school, is to replace its basic vehicle for learners - the Vauxhall Corsa - after signing a deal with Fiat.

The Italian firm will provide BSM with 14,000 cars over four years - mainly its Fiat 500.

The move is a blow to Vauxhall because, according to BSM, about 70% of learners buy the same car model as they pass their test in.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8172233.stm

BSM, the UK's biggest driving school, is to replace its basic vehicle for learners - the Vauxhall Corsa - after signing a deal with Fiat.

The Italian firm will provide BSM with 14,000 cars over four years - mainly its Fiat 500.

The move is a blow to Vauxhall because, according to BSM, about 70% of learners buy the same car model as they pass their test in.

er no. There's never been a Vauxhall Corsa (or Nova before it, IIRC) built here. All of ours are Spanish built and always have been I think.

er no. There's never been a Vauxhall Corsa (or Nova before it, IIRC) built here. All of ours are Spanish built and always have been I think.

I don't believe the 70% figure either.

The 70% figure is possible but it wouldn't be a new one, just the same 'model.' So although Fiat make think they have gained kudos from this, I doubt many new drivers will buy a new car.

It would be interesting if they employed Italian instructors too. Now that would be news.

Little known fact : BSM owned the franchise for spud-u-like. Whatever happened to them? Any still trading?

Little known fact : BSM owned the franchise for spud-u-like. Whatever happened to them? Any still trading?

'Company History':

http://www.spudulike.com/information/history/history.htm

The success of spudulike prompted the owners of the British School of Motoring to acquire the company in 1982. A strange marriage on the face of it, but chiefly to do with the franchising ambitions of both companies at that time. But what BSM were able to provide was expertise and resource. A great deal of time and effort was spent in developing and improving the spudulike business with changes to corporate image, testing new equipment and introducing new products. The company has come a long way since it's uncertain beginnings. it subsequently demerged from BSM and is now an independent family owned company expanding it's operations in all areas of the fast food market from company operated high street and shopping centre locations to franchised businesses.

Today spudulike's knowledge of the baked potato business has grown to such an extent that it now stands second to none. It is this expertise coupled with a genuine pride in the baked potato product itself that we aim to extend to every one of our customers!

'Spudulike Restaurant Guide':

http://www.spudulike.com/store/index.htm

[Lists 40 stores].

Edited by CrashConnoisseur

bsm aren't a british company any more anyway - they were purchased by a german outfit called arques last year.

Private equity backed. Using a lot of E European equity in their investing LPs, if my mole's not wrong.

Private equity backed. Using a lot of E European equity in their investing LPs, if my mole's not wrong.

I thought arques were listed on the german stock exchange, although they act as a PE firm, focussing on picking up distressed assets / non core subsidiaries.

I thought arques were listed on the german stock exchange, although they act as a PE firm, focussing on picking up distressed assets / non core subsidiaries.

slapped my grunt

you're right. Traded in Germany. He is still insistent that the investment vehicles through which the money comes in is not quite as clear as is stated below and therefore he's not wrong :)

"100% of the ARQUES Industries AG shares are in free float which are partly held by institutional investors on a long-term basis. The shares are predominantly in the possession of institutional investors from the USA, Great Britain, France, Switzerland and Germany, as well as private investors mainly from Germany."

The bobbly and ungainly looks of the Fiat 500 make it look like it's learning to be driven, so it's quite an appropriate choice.

The new Ford Ka, which is based partly on the Fiat 500, but with different body panels, is much better looking.

PS: I will revise that.....the new Ford KA is only slightly better looking than it's cousin the Fiat 500!

Edited by blankster

The Ka has such an improved suspension over its legacy chassis from the 500 that rumour has it Fiat are going to upgrade it next year. Mind you the base model Kas is still £8500 rrp with wind-up windows, no air-con and 3 doors.

I wonder if the Notting Hill brigade parodied on Top Gear will want to offload for the 'latest' model if the 2010 Fiat 500 is a vast improvement on the handling?

The bobbly and ungainly looks of the Fiat 500 make it look like it's learning to be driven, so it's quite an appropriate choice.

The new Ford Ka, which is based partly on the Fiat 500, but with different body panels, is much better looking.

PS: I will revise that.....the new Ford KA is only slightly better looking than it's cousin the Fiat 500!

A couple of weeks ago I was chatting to a Ford salesman and he was asking what I thought about the Ka, old style, that I was driveing. I told him that it was in fact a good small car but badly lacking in the horsepower department. He agreed and continued to say that the new ones were even more underpowered with a smaller engine and more weight.

Mind you the base model Kas is still £8500 rrp with wind-up windows, no air-con and 3 doors.

i had the benefit of all three by buying a 12-year old nissan for £300 with MOT and 6 months road tax.

Even with the 2k trade-in how on earth does buying a new car of such spec as that ka at 6-7k get any takers ?

Edited by spivtastic

Christ, I'd hate to see your missus ? The new Ka is an absolute pig of a looker. The 500 is at least almost proportioned...