House Price Crash Forum

Paranoid Landlord

Kyoto

HOLA441

We are just looking for a new flat to rent as we are stuck in the city center for the next few years. We found one we liked and were ready to sign up until we got this shopping list of requirements. Is this the most paranoid landlord in the UK?

Works reference

A character reference

Reference from previous landlord re rent payment and state of flat

Bank statement

Proof that previous bills were paid on time

Guarantor earning over 30k a year OR Credit checking fee

Six weeks bond

One year contract

It would be a cold day in hell before I jump through these hoops in some subservient attempt to prove myself as worthy of the privelledge of paying him to live in his new build boxy flat, especially when there are 8 in the same building listed on Rightmove.

Has anyone seen a more paranoid landlord?

Edited by Kyoto

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
We are just looking for a new flat to rent as we are stuck in the city center for the next few years. We found one we liked and were ready to sign up until we got this shopping list of requirements. Is this the most paranoid landlord in the UK?

Works reference

A character reference

Bank statement

Six weeks bond

One year contract

It would be a cold day in hell before I jump through these hoops in some subservient attempt to prove myself as worthy of the privelledge of paying him to live in his new build boxy flat, especially when there are 8 in the same building listed on Rightmove.

If I was a landlord, that's whay I would ask for. It's easy for a tenant to stop paying then stay for free for 6-9 months. I've just been through this as executor for an estate of a BTL owner.

VMR.

HOLA443
HOLA444
If I was a landlord, that's whay I would ask for. It's easy for a tenant to stop paying then stay for free for 6-9 months. I've just been through this as executor for an estate of a BTL owner.

VMR.

The majority of tenants are taking up a service in a competitive buyers market, and choosing one particular landlord over others. Why should we have to share details such as bank statements to prove we are worthy of purchasing a service when the more typical, ID deposit, and contract already secures the landlord?

It seems to me they want it both ways. Top rental rates and no risk whatsoever in return. I'm sorry, but in the flooded leeds city centre rental market, this guy doesn't have the luxury of making a good tenant such as myself jump through so many hoops.

This is all a horrible symptom of the subservient landlord / tenant relationship. Tenants need to man-up and start treating BTLs as they are - for the most part commodity service providers.

HOLA445
Works reference

A character reference

Bank statement

Six weeks bond

One year contract

These are pretty standard - and to be honest I couldn't come up with that lot.

My main problem would be a guarantor.... I simply don't know anybody that would meet the criteria or would be prepared to sign as a guarantor (not for me, just the whole concept of a guarantor is quite a major undertaking)

I don't have a job

I could get a character reference (depending on how long they had to know me that could take up to a month)

Ref from previous landlord is OK now I have just been renting my first place, but before that I'd have had nothing

Bank statement - they can feck right off seeing what I spend/how much I have going in/out.

Bills proof, would have been tricky when I moved in here as I'd sold my house, shredded all that sh1t and moved into a hotel

Guarantor - no chance at that high salary.

6 weeks - normal, so no problem there

One year contract - nope, it might turn out to be a crap flat.

HOLA446
HOLA447

I think a lot of this is a fundamental reflection of the ridiculous Short-hold lease situation. Landlords behave like they're doing you a favour letting them live in their dump, when in reality they should be providing you a service for payment and need to behave more like it.

edit - spell like an idiot.

Edited by Sceptacled Bear

HOLA448
If I was a landlord, that's whay I would ask for. It's easy for a tenant to stop paying then stay for free for 6-9 months. I've just been through this as executor for an estate of a BTL owner. VMR.

The modern solution. Create red tape to give yourself the illusion of security. I would be tempted to withhold rent from you just to teach you some manners.

HOLA449

Works reference

A character reference

Bank statement

Six weeks bond

One year contract

My guess will be he won't be renting too many properties, as there are always landlords around that don't ask for all this.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest X-QUORK

My requirements:

Works reference

A character reference

Bank statement

Six weeks bond

One year contract

1lb of flesh

Cap for doffing to landlord

Clean underpants

Edited by X-QUORK

HOLA4415

VMR.

+1

Don't understand what the issue is? :unsure:

If I was a landlord, its pretty close to what I'd ask for. Could be a lot of hassle if the tenant didnt pay :(

If you dont like the list fine, find another flat to let :P

As a landlord, I'd have been glad to avoid you as a stroppy tenant ;)

(But I suspect this is why I never wanted to get into BTL, its a lot of grief potentially (sp?))

I suspect most of the people griping on this thread can also be found griping about:

- British women being too fat

- house prices being too expensive

- foreigners, generally

- women, generally

- politicians, generally

- etc.

HOLA4416
The majority of tenants are taking up a service in a competitive buyers market, and choosing one particular landlord over others. Why should we have to share details such as bank statements to prove we are worthy of purchasing a service when the more typical, ID deposit, and contract already secures the landlord?

It seems to me they want it both ways. Top rental rates and no risk whatsoever in return. I'm sorry, but in the flooded leeds city centre rental market, this guy doesn't have the luxury of making a good tenant such as myself jump through so many hoops.

This is all a horrible symptom of the subservient landlord / tenant relationship. Tenants need to man-up and start treating BTLs as they are - for the most part commodity service providers.

Given the risks surrounding a bad tenant, you can hardly blame him actually :unsure:

He's making an economic decision to suffer a longer void/lower rent to make sure he avoids the potential high loss from a bad/stroppy tenant - its his choice and probably a sensible one

If flats in Leeds are a commodity, good for you, find a flat that meets all your conditions, including the tenancy checks ;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
+1

Don't understand what the issue is? :unsure:

If I was a landlord, its pretty close to what I'd ask for. Could be a lot of hassle if the tenant didnt pay :(

If you dont like the list fine, find another flat to let :P

As a landlord, I'd have been glad to avoid you as a stroppy tenant ;)

(But I suspect this is why I never wanted to get into BTL, its a lot of grief potentially (sp?))

I suspect most of the people griping on this thread can also be found griping about:

- British women being too fat

- house prices being too expensive

- foreigners, generally

- women, generally

- politicians, generally

- etc.

I suspect the motivation behnd this thread is more about frustration than anything else.

the landlord, by digging his heals in, is prompting a lose-lose scenario. there is a serious oversupply of flats in Leeds and LL may well end up with DHSS tenants instead.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
I suspect the motivation behnd this thread is more about frustration than anything else.

the landlord, by digging his heals in, is prompting a lose-lose scenario. there is a serious oversupply of flats in Leeds and LL may well end up with DHSS tenants instead.

Well I think he's weighing up a likely small loss (a longer void or a lower rent) against a potential big loss (a tenant who moves in, changes the locks, doesnt pay the rent and just waits to get evicted)

I can well imagine there is a serious oversupply of flats in Leeds, so he's probably facing a long void :unsure:

Them's the breaks if you want to go into a risky business like renting out properties ;)

It just mystifies me why people think it was ever an easy way to make money.....

HOLA4423

I recommend in Leeds from very good experience - Manning Stainton Lettings - however they have v little in city centre

Spencers are good too, but very studenty, again from experience

just professional little-b*llsh*t agencies

HOLA4424
Well I think he's weighing up a likely small loss (a longer void or a lower rent) against a potential big loss (a tenant who moves in, changes the locks, doesnt pay the rent and just waits to get evicted)

I can well imagine there is a serious oversupply of flats in Leeds, so he's probably facing a long void :unsure:

Them's the breaks if you want to go into a risky business like renting out properties ;)

It just mystifies me why people think it was ever an easy way to make money.....

I concur

HOLA4425
Let`s face it, tenants are scum.

Almost.

Scum are tenants generally speaking, cos scum aint too clever at getting secure jobs, deposits and meeting regular payments.

Does not follow that tenants are scum.

TBH My only knowledge of rental is of nice middle income people letting to other nice middle income people, usually without fuss for longish periods. For example friends are renting their lovely large house to Germans who look after their garden and chickens.

All a world apart from the low end segment which sounds absolutley dreadful from the threads I see on here, with villains on both sides.