House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

How No-one Gets The Top Broadband Speeds Claimed By Internet Service Providers

How NO-ONE gets the top broadband speeds claimed by internet service providers

Top broadband speeds claimed by internet service providers are not achieved by any of them - meaning that no consumers in Britain benefit.

Media regulators have shown that the fastest connections to the web on offer from companies such as BT and AOL are 'theoretical'.

Ofcom said none achieved their boasts and 'hardly any' got close. The disclosure prompted calls for an inquiry into the way internet packages are sold.

Broadband services are generally marketed on the basis of top connection speeds.

More than half of users are on packages offering speeds of up to 8 megabits per second. Ofcom checks showed that about 45 per cent of users in this category - or more than 4million homes - had an average speed of only 3.9 megabits per second.

Some 20 per cent of those with these packages could not even get above 2 megabits, the standard laid down in Labour plans to give everyone broadband.

The highest a customer on one of these packages can hope for is about 7.2 megabits - and then only if they live very close to a telephone exchange.

Faster access to the net allows web pages to load quicker and dramatically shortens the time it takes to download files.

To download a high- quality film at 8 megabits would take 1 hour and 11 minutes and a music track would take 5 seconds.

At 2 megabits, the same film would take 4 hours and 48 minutes and the song 21 seconds.

Not quite sure where they have got their facts from but I'm on a 8mb connection and I get 8mb. So either I'm the only person in the UK to get what I pay for or this article is complete crap.

It's in the Mail so I must therefore be the only person in the UK to get what I pay for.

Does anyone else on here get the max broadband speed they are quoted for?

Guest DisposableHeroes
How NO-ONE gets the top broadband speeds claimed by internet service providers

Not quite sure where they have got their facts from but I'm on a 8mb connection and I get 8mb. So either I'm the only person in the UK to get what I pay for or this article is complete crap.

It's in the Mail so I must therefore be the only person in the UK to get what I pay for.

Does anyone else on here get the max broadband speed they are quoted for?

I know someone who has Virgin broadband, fibre optic line to the house. They recently did a free upgrade to ten megabit, from 2. I tested it yesterday, sure enough 10.

My brother has BT broadband £18 a month, is very slow (poor network to the house). I think if this is the case mobile broadband is a better option. Especially if you use a mobile, don't require a land line and can consequently save the line rental.

I know someone who has Virgin broadband, fibre optic line to the house. They recently did a free upgrade to ten megabit, from 2. I tested it yesterday, sure enough 10.

Use it for 10 minutes between 4 and 9pm at the full 10Mb and it will drop down to 25% of that capacity for 5 hours!

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

My brother has BT broadband £18 a month, is very slow (poor network to the house). I think if this is the case mobile broadband is a better option. Especially if you use a mobile, don't require a land line and can consequently save the line rental.

I also have virgin cable.

The speed to the popular broadband test sites are fixed to be max speed, but everywhere else doesn't get special treatment.

It is a con.

If you have access to a couple of distant servers it is demonstrate. Stick a large file on server A, time the transfer from server A to server B. Goes quick.

Now try downloading it from server A to your computer, it goes slow.

I always get max speed to test sites, but hardly ever get max speed to anywhere else. :(

I had to remove all the internal phone extensions, illegally tamper with the (old dodgy 70's) wiring on BT's side of the master socket, remove the ring circuit (orange wires in master socket) and use hacked router firmware to alter the downstream margin!

And this boosted my speed from.......

0.5 megabits to an amazing 1.5 megabits. :angry:

I can't see anyone ever bothering to upgrade our lousy country bumpkin line, especially as it was not until the 1960s when the village first got electricity. :ph34r:

Its a stupid stupid report.

1. ADSL is designed to automatically drop to a lower speed as the length and quality of the wire between you and the exchange changes, this allows people further away from the exchange to be able to get broadband, and allows people close to the exchange to get faster speeds!

2. You never achieve the maximum network speed, because networks aren't designed to use all free available space they are not designed to work in the gaps.. For example if you have a 100mbit wired network at home/work you cannot transfer data at 100mbit as there is overhead and packets collide!

The speed of your upload/download is defined by the Downstream Attenuation, the lower the Downstream Attenuation the better the quality of your line. You can find your Db by looking at your router website

Mine is 25.5 and I have ADSL2+ so I easiliy achieve a 8mbit line, but most are much much higher Db values.

My current speed achieved by the router is a download of 8126 and 1017 upload

page_adsl2chart.gif

One simple way to improve your Db is to improve the quality of wiring in your house, the telephone wire and any nasty extension cables around your house in your house can act like a massive ariel and massivly reduce your Db Line.

To improve your broadband (often by upto 1mb!)

1. Disconnect any exstention leads

2. Disconnect any secondary telephone connection boxes in the house from the master socket

3. Plug your router directly into the master socket

Finally if your Db value in your router is really high, don't even bother paying for a faster ADSL connection. Finally how much does the gov pay for this advise/report?

ATM0Alcatel 20190 chipset information		ATU-R (DS)			ATU-C (US)Modem Status:	 Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME)DSL Mode:	 ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT) Annex AITU STD NUM: 	 0x03				 0x2 Vendor ID:	 'STMI'				 'TSTC'Vendor Specific: 0x0000				 0x0000Vendor Country:	 0x0F				 0xB5Chip ID: 	 C196 (0)DFE BOM:	 DFE3.0 Annex A (1)Capacity Used:	 90%				 79%Noise Margin:	  8.5 dB			 14.0 dBOutput Power:	  7.5 dBm			 12.5 dBmAttenuation:	  [size=4][b]5.0 dB[/b][/size]			  0.0 dBDefect Status:	 None							None						Last Fail Code:	 NoneWatchdog Counter: 0xF1Watchdog Resets: 0Selftest Result: 0x00Subfunction:	 0x00 Interrupts:	 8292 (0 spurious)PHY Access Err:	 0Activations:	 4LED Status:	 ONLED On Time:	 100LED Off Time:	 100Init FW:	 init_3.0.010_nobist.binOperation FW:	 AMR-3.0.010.binFW Source:	 externalFW Version:	 3.0.10		 Interleave		Fast	Interleave		FastSpeed (kbps):		   8128			   0		   832			   0Cells:		  178963709			   0	  97780941			   0Reed-Solomon EC:	   5311			   0			 8			   0CRC Errors:			  0			   0			 2			   0Header Errors:			  0			   0			 2			   0Total BER:		  0E-0		 0E-0Leakage Average BER:	  0E-0		 0E-0		ATU-R (DS)	ATU-C (US)

:) bring on the adsl 2+

There is an article like this on the BBC as well, both of them are a load of co*k. So Ofcom have found out that 'upto 8megabits' sometimes means that you won't get 8megabits, well thank god we have them at our disposal, I would have never have worked that out otherwise.

This speed business is total nonsense, OFCOM are just talking about what the BB providers want them to.

Personally, above about 4 I don't give a damn, the real issue is the caps put on data, and the extortion used by companies such as BT if you don't use their 'premuim' service.

20 meg and a limit of 2 gig is pretty pointless.

Liked on the radio that we were the 25th country on the BBand accessability list.

Blimey, I must be really lucky.

TalkTalk are charging me for 8meg, and I get 8meg.

Talktalk were a pain to many people when they took on too much too soon.

However, we pay for 8 and get 6.5. No problem with switching to them 2 years ago. Can't remember the last outage.

Fine by me.

Guest DisposableHeroes

The speed to the popular broadband test sites are fixed to be max speed, but everywhere else doesn't get special treatment.

It is a con.

If you have access to a couple of distant servers it is demonstrate. Stick a large file on server A, time the transfer from server A to server B. Goes quick.

I always get max speed to test sites, but hardly ever get max speed to anywhere else. :(

All I did was an online download test. When America is asleep things always tend to pick up.

Good point

ATM0Alcatel 20190 chipset information		ATU-R (DS)			ATU-C (US)Modem Status:	 Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME)DSL Mode:	 ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT) Annex AITU STD NUM: 	 0x03				 0x2 Vendor ID:	 'STMI'				 'TSTC'Vendor Specific: 0x0000				 0x0000Vendor Country:	 0x0F				 0xB5Chip ID: 	 C196 (0)DFE BOM:	 DFE3.0 Annex A (1)Capacity Used:	 90%				 79%Noise Margin:	  8.5 dB			 14.0 dBOutput Power:	  7.5 dBm			 12.5 dBmAttenuation:	  [size=4][b]5.0 dB[/b][/size]			  0.0 dBDefect Status:	 None							None						Last Fail Code:	 NoneWatchdog Counter: 0xF1Watchdog Resets: 0Selftest Result: 0x00Subfunction:	 0x00 Interrupts:	 8292 (0 spurious)PHY Access Err:	 0Activations:	 4LED Status:	 ONLED On Time:	 100LED Off Time:	 100Init FW:	 init_3.0.010_nobist.binOperation FW:	 AMR-3.0.010.binFW Source:	 externalFW Version:	 3.0.10		 Interleave		Fast	Interleave		FastSpeed (kbps):		   8128			   0		   832			   0Cells:		  178963709			   0	  97780941			   0Reed-Solomon EC:	   5311			   0			 8			   0CRC Errors:			  0			   0			 2			   0Header Errors:			  0			   0			 2			   0Total BER:		  0E-0		 0E-0Leakage Average BER:	  0E-0		 0E-0		ATU-R (DS)	ATU-C (US)

:) bring on the adsl 2+

How do you get this diagnostic information>???

It is a con.

Not true in my experience.

I get the full 10mb/s from VM downloading from any fast server.

So the report says no one gets 8Mb in use and here we have at least three people claiming to get 8Mb.

quite :)

If you get 8megs line/connection, you wont be able to download at the theoretical maximum of 8mbits, there are overheads, issues with the network out of your control, your computer(s) might be using the line for other things at the same time without you knowing etc etc..

I have achieved a 8meg line, but speed test tells me I get 6.97Meg, I am loosing 1meg of performance due to overhead, which is fine....

http://www.speedtest.net/

in the same way if you get a 50meg line from virgin you wont be able to use all the 50megs, if you perform a speed test you should get between 30 and 45meg....

This report appears to be saying that's a problem, its not a problem that's just the way networks work!

Use it for 10 minutes between 4 and 9pm at the full 10Mb and it will drop down to 25% of that capacity for 5 hours!

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

Not many people download 750MB in the space of 5 hours. At least they don’t in most days.

If you have something big to download then do it between 9pm to 10am.

The reason they limit speeds on those hours is to give everyone a decent service.

The alternative is to upgrade their system to handle everyone at maximum at peak (which means a higher price for us all) or to offer everyone a lower speed all the time.

The current solution is logical and in our interest.

If you don’t like being caped at those times then pay for the 50mb/s service which has no cap.

Talktalk were a pain to many people when they took on too much too soon.

However, we pay for 8 and get 6.5. No problem with switching to them 2 years ago. Can't remember the last outage.

Fine by me.

I hope for your sake that you never want to leave them; you will find that you have sold your soul for eternity by signing in virgin's blood on vellum parchment made from unborn babies (which of course you have no recollection of doing).

Edit to add: I don't mean Richard Branson's

nice to see a quango at last quote the bleeding obvious...officially..... two years after all the complaints started.

power to you boys...pensions and annual payrises all round.

I hope for your sake that you never want to leave them; you will find that you have sold your soul for eternity by signing in virgin's blood on vellum parchment made from unborn babies (which of course you have no recollection of doing).

Edit to add: I don't mean Richard Branson's

I left a virgin cable service....they dont do it in my new area.

10 years I d been with them

cut my email off the day I left.

handy.