House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blocking Up A Fireplace

Gonna block up a fireplace. Anyone know if you can just block it off completely or do you need to leave some ventilation for any reason?

I've always put a one brick size vent in, because I was told you can get condensation in the chimney.

You might need to retrieve the odd dead starling as well, unless you cap the chimney.

You should put an airbrick in and also a vent cap on the chimney pot. You need a flow of air through the stack to prevent condensation. The vent cap on the chimney will allow air movement whilst stopping rain and birds from entering the stack.

Guest X-QUORK

Deffo needs a ventilation brick. I've owned a house which didn't have said ventilation and we suffered from damp until it was corrected.

Deffo needs a ventilation brick. I've owned a house which didn't have said ventilation and we suffered from damp until it was corrected.

I currently have a bit of damp problem, and it looks like the cause is condensation from the chimney stack.

Anyone know the best sort of tradesmen to get in to sort this out?

I currently have a bit of damp problem, and it looks like the cause is condensation from the chimney stack.

Victorian urchins?

Shouldn't be very expensive. £200 max? The downstairs bit costs almost nothing, then someone's just got to cap/vent the chimney pot. Materials a few pounds. Any local jobbing builder could do it.

Shouldn't be very expensive. £200 max? The downstairs bit costs almost nothing, then someone's just got to cap/vent the chimney pot. Materials a few pounds. Any local jobbing builder could do it.

Cheers. Will make a couple of calls.

Vent cap = £45 ish IIRC. Couple of quid for a vent or air brick. Around £80 -£90 labour to do job.

Blocking it!?!?!

I've just opened mine up last year, saved me over 300 quid on gas and electric, it's good to have a 2nd source of heating :ph34r: