House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

R5 Shortly. Social Status Of Street Names

I've nothing better to do.

I live on a Road, so am likely to be dubbed a prole.

Could be worse - could be Acacia Avenue

Any address that contains a road name shows you live in a high density area and have a small and insignificant dwelling.

What you want to aspire to is something like:

Ham House

Ham

Do you live on any of these?

I think they renamed the first of those recently - too many tourists come to get their photo taken by the street sign!

A road is a way between places, e.g. London Road = the road to London.

In the City of London there are famously no roads (well, Goswell Road sneaked in when they chnaged the boundary).

A street is somewhere in the middle of a town or city.

I suppose the social standing is a value judgement as to whether you think it's posher to live in or out of town.

In the City of London there are famously no roads (well, Goswell Road sneaked in when they chnaged the boundary).

I suppose the social standing is a value judgement as to whether you think it's posher to live in or out of town.

Er, streets such as Ermine Street, Akeman Street etc. are Roman and join their old towns.

I think to be posh it needs to be "The ...".

Um no, this is probably a bit more analytical. It does include a bit of interpretation though.

This sort of stuff was done a number of years ago by Experian and an ex employee richard webber a visting prof at UCL. It gets trotted out as part of their PR machine every so often.

Basic idea - there is a file called the postal address file wot lists every street name. you link this to a range of data sets, census, lifestyle surveys other databases, credit referencing etc.

You categorise areas/postcodes (where the interpretation or value judgement comes in) and then simple analyse whther "street" "road", "lane" etc occur disproportionately in certain types of neighbourhood.

You end up with something that, if stated correctly, goes - If your address is "lane" it is more likely than average that you live in an area like X.

If its stated correctly and you always remember that its perfectly possible for any individual 'lane' to be in an entirely different type of area then the analysis behind it is sound and practical. If you get a PR person, journalist or salesman in on the act it will end up as "if you live in a lane you are X" - which is untrue.

If you want to look at something similar that does not require you to pay a commercial company google UCL's CASA team and their London Profiler. they have a similar analysis that gives probability estimates of your country of origin based on your name, a segmentation guessing your online behaviour.

Also google OAC, a freely available download of a system that categorises neighbourhoods. Link that to your own address file and you can come up with your own thoughts on which types of street occur in which neighbourhoods. OAC isn't as accurate or up to date as the commercially available equivalents but perfectly good enough for casual interest.

Er, streets such as Ermine Street, Akeman Street etc. are Roman and join their old towns.

I was talking post Roman. How far are we going back here? What about the Icknield Way or the Ridgeway?

Guest X-QUORK
I cannot understand why they changed the name..I really can't..

Political correctness gone mad.

Unless your address includes the word "Castle" or "The Mall" you're a pleb.

Hope that helps. ;)

My address starts with 'The' and is not a street, road or avenue. In fact none of the roads round where I live have street, road or avenue in the name. Which personally I think is a bit pretentious.