House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Disposable Heroes

I Wish I Could Make My Mind Work For Me.

Guest DisposableHeroes

I wish I could stop the constant stream of negative internal drivel I get from my mind.

I wish I could stop the constant stream of negative internal drivel I get from my mind.

You are the member of a very, very large club..

Guest DisposableHeroes
You are the member of a very, very large club..

I find it very tiring. I find myself (the real me) telling my mind (by my birth name) to shutup.

I guess keeping the mind active is they key, else it gets bored takes control and and runs you.

I find it very tiring. I find myself (the real me) telling my mind (by my birth name) to shutup.

I guess keeping the mind active is they key, else it gets bored takes control and and runs you.

It's a cliche, but actually getting out in the fresh air, gardening, walking, cycling or doing anything that needs even a minimal brain effort seems to keep the mental inanity at bay.

Doing more of the few things that really engage you is another.

Retirement or unemployment exacerbates this problem.

Stop reading HPC. I'm not being entirely facetious.

Then again, without the stream of negativity you might have leapt into the housing bubble head first.

Guest DisposableHeroes
It's a cliche, but actually getting out in the fresh air, gardening, walking, cycling or doing anything that needs even a minimal brain effort seems to keep the mental inanity at bay.

Doing more of the few things that really engage you is another.

Retirement or unemployment exacerbates this problem.

Yeah, most of those are things that keep me happy.

Interesting thing I read about the mind recently, was. Tell yourself "What am I going to think of next?"...

Notice the mind goes blank for a few peaceful seconds...

Guest DisposableHeroes

Then again, without the stream of negativity you might have leapt into the housing bubble head first.

:-)

I guess like most of the media it feeds the mind with information it can analyse and consume to keep it's self busy.

Yeah, most of those are things that keep me happy.

Interesting thing I read about the mind recently, was. Tell yourself "What am I going to think of next?"...

Notice the mind goes blank for a few peaceful seconds...

George Melly described his mental life as being 'chained to a lunatic'.

Albert Speer's book on his imprisonment in Spandau is interesting on how he occupied his mind over hours, days, many years.

If I can't sleep, I find creating ideal vegetable gardens (from scratch) in great detail is useful. Also creating long journeys on horseback through wild Canadian backwoods/rivers/valleys type territory. If I'm still awake, the journeys conclude in comfortable camps with delicious food, drink etc. Oddly enough, I don't ride horses in real life.

Guest DisposableHeroes
George Melly described his mental life as being 'chained to a lunatic'.

Albert Speer's book on his imprisonment in Spandau is interesting on how he occupied his mind over hours, days, many years.

If I can't sleep, I find creating ideal vegetable gardens (from scratch) in great detail is useful. Also creating long journeys on horseback through wild Canadian backwoods/rivers/valleys type territory. If I'm still awake, the journeys conclude in comfortable camps with delicious food, drink etc. Oddly enough, I don't ride horses in real life.

I will read them to keep the playful mind busy. I recently read The Power of Now, some useful tools to help control the mind their also.

Learn the ways of the Jedi. That way, not only can you control your own mind, but the minds of others too.

Particular useful when smuggling people in and out of Mos Eisley, should you ever need to.

(You get a coooool, big glow stick too)

Guest DisposableHeroes
Learn the ways of the Jedi. That way, not only can you control your own mind, but the minds of others too.

Particular useful when smuggling people in and out of Mos Eisley, should you ever need to.

Edited to remove my mind drivel.

Guest skullingtonjoe

Hey, hang on a minute! You still need a good smuggler if you want to get people in and out of Mos Eisley. Damn Jedi hippies! What are you trying to do?

Dancing around with your poncy lightsabres - give me a good old blaster any day! :rolleyes:

Or just simple meditation.

When I find myself pressured, such as on a business trip, I will sit still (not lie down) for an hour with no distractions other than a cup of tea and the view of a clock. Phone off.

Ideally with a view of the sky or trees, whatever.

Initially the usual chatter rattles through your mind, but after about 20 minutes or so it all goes away and your thoughts drift pleasantly. Far more refreshing than a nap. And after the hour I don't find myself rushing to turn on the TV.

No tricks, no philosophy, just being yourself.

I don't do it enough at home (less opportunity). But welcome the occasional night when I don't fall asleep or I wake up early as I can do the same, though (obviously) I will be lying down so usually fall asleep.

At the weekend a walk in quiet rurality has the same effect if you do it by yourself and don't rush it.

Guest theboltonfury

Too true. I found some of the posters on the mainforum virtually brainwashed me as I used to read their predictions with an open mouth and a real fear. I became nervous, panicky and was forgetting how to enjoy life.

Now, I realise they are either nutters or no more credible than my own opinions.

...If I can't sleep, I find creating ideal vegetable gardens (from scratch) in great detail is useful. Also creating long journeys on horseback through wild Canadian backwoods/rivers/valleys type territory. If I'm still awake, the journeys conclude in comfortable camps with delicious food, drink etc. Oddly enough, I don't ride horses in real life.

Or you could just have a w@nk :lol:

Guest DisposableHeroes
Or you could just have a w@nk :lol:

More of my mind drivel.

Guest DisposableHeroes
The Power of Now is a good read for you at least it explains what is going on and why.

The fact that it is-ve drivel is not good. If possible change the chatter to positive drivel its only drivel and positive is better.

I have been through all of that in a big way and tried many things to fix it. One recent thing I done was the recreate your life by Morty Lefkoe (free bit ) Who Am I Really that was a real quick effective way of making the mind think of absolutely nothing.

Cheers, any skills I can learn are much appreciated.

I'm not at my wits end, about to throw myself off a cliff, but I would really like to start living without my minds interjections.

I'm sure as a kid from when I can remember to early teens. I never really had mind chatter. I just lived life without constant analysis.

Guest DisposableHeroes
You are most probably right, you would have daydreamed as a childwhich is different from chatter. I encourgae my kids to daydream.

The analysis is done by your ego which creates a problem so that it can justify its xistence to provide a solution. Its like the govt you dont really need it and it is just endless nosie one thing after another about things that are not real and will never happen and most folk spendall their wakened hours doing it.

If a real physical problems were to happen you are perfectly capable with deaing with it in the here and now.

You are not emotionally equipped to deal with regrets (past) and anxiety ( future) as none of these thoughts are real.

Reading The Power of Now (by chance). It did start to resonate.

"Its like the govt you dont really need it and it is just endless nosie one thing after another about things that are not real and will never happen and most folk spendall their wakened hours doing it."

That's a good comparison.

Too true. I found some of the posters on the mainforum virtually brainwashed me as I used to read their predictions with an open mouth and a real fear. I became nervous, panicky and was forgetting how to enjoy life.

Now, I realise they are either nutters or no more credible than my own opinions.

I'm sorry. I never meant to lead you astray. ;)

Guest theboltonfury
I'm sorry. I never meant to lead you astray. ;)

All you've done for me is heighten my awareness of French cheese and the hoof of a camel.

Reading The Power of Now (by chance). It did start to resonate.

"Its like the govt you dont really need it and it is just endless nosie one thing after another about things that are not real and will never happen and most folk spendall their wakened hours doing it."

That's a good comparison.

I got a more interesting job, that helped. Also hillwalking is fantastic for settling the mind. For similar reasons people play golf - something that isolates you from other problems and forces you to focus on the now. In hiking terms it's the navigation and working out the next village you're going to pass thru, turn you're going to make, extra miles you fancy doing to catch a view point, the focus on the now clears the mind tremendously. I'm sure there are plenty of different ways of achieving this.

exercise - plenty of it - is good too - all those endomorphins - again links back to golf and hiking, and not drinking

Cheers, any skills I can learn are much appreciated.

. I just lived life without constant analysis.

"And pray that I may forget

These matters that with myself I too much discuss

Too much explain..."

These lines in TS Eliot's Ash Wednesday would probably include your 'negative' brain chatter.