House Price Crash Forum

2 Mistakes In Property Ladder Last Week

HOLA441

Last weeks property snakes and ladders made an error adding up the total on the Oast house in kent and there was the question of the £1500 a week or month on the Bristol property. I mailed C4 to tell them about it and got a reply !!!!!

reply,

Dear Mr .........,

Thank you for contacting us regarding PROPERTY SNAKES AND LADDERS and forletting us know about the errors that were in last week's programme.

As you pointed out there were 2 unfortunate errors - the first was amathematical error where the purchase price and the cost of the works were£75,000 less in the graphic and the voice over at the end of the show. Thiswas a human error and has been rectified for future repeats of theprogramme. The profit of £81,000 was a correct figure as the 3 independentestate agents valued the property at an average of just over £531,000 whichis £81,000 above the £450,000 total investment. The additional £75,000 costsinclude finance and other fees.

The other error was the fact we say per week when it in fact per month.Again this was human error and has been rectified for the future repeats.

It is unfortunate that this programme contained 2 mistakes, and despiterigorous viewings and re viewings, they can occasionally slip though.PROPERTY SNAKES AND LADDERS (and it's previous incarnation as PROPERTYLADDER) has a history of being factually sound, and we are sorry that onthis occasion our robust fact checking procedures failed to spot the errors.Rest assured that the production company have been told that this isunacceptable and have assured us that they are looking at introducingmeasures to minimise the risk of this happening again. Thanks again for spotting the errors and for letting us know, and we hopethis they didn't spoil your enjoyment of the programme too much.

Regards,

Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries

HOLA442
HOLA443
Last weeks property snakes and ladders made an error adding up the total on the Oast house in kent and there was the question of the £1500 a week or month on the Bristol property. I mailed C4 to tell them about it and got a reply !!!!!

reply,

Dear Mr .........,

Thank you for contacting us regarding PROPERTY SNAKES AND LADDERS and forletting us know about the errors that were in last week's programme.

As you pointed out there were 2 unfortunate errors - the first was amathematical error where the purchase price and the cost of the works were£75,000 less in the graphic and the voice over at the end of the show. Thiswas a human error and has been rectified for future repeats of theprogramme. The profit of £81,000 was a correct figure as the 3 independentestate agents valued the property at an average of just over £531,000 whichis £81,000 above the £450,000 total investment. The additional £75,000 costsinclude finance and other fees.

The other error was the fact we say per week when it in fact per month.Again this was human error and has been rectified for the future repeats.

It is unfortunate that this programme contained 2 mistakes, and despiterigorous viewings and re viewings, they can occasionally slip though.PROPERTY SNAKES AND LADDERS (and it's previous incarnation as PROPERTYLADDER) has a history of being factually sound, and we are sorry that onthis occasion our robust fact checking procedures failed to spot the errors.Rest assured that the production company have been told that this isunacceptable and have assured us that they are looking at introducingmeasures to minimise the risk of this happening again. Thanks again for spotting the errors and for letting us know, and we hopethis they didn't spoil your enjoyment of the programme too much.

Regards,

Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries

C4 can't add up or write correct English, it would seem.

HOLA444

Well done, richcrashman, for undertaking to follow this up. Lots of people spotted it, but you did something about it!

HOLA445

Yes, well done for banging the HPC drum. Although, don't be surprised if at sometime in the future you get an email from a Channel 4 production team asking if you'd like to participate in a documentary they're doing on pedants. ;)

HOLA446

We should all do something about it if we something wrong. If we can't bothered to even write an email or letter then there is no point hanging around on here just complaining about it.

I have to admit i was pleasantly suprised to get a reply like that.

HOLA447
We should all do something about it if we something wrong. If we can't bothered to even write an email or letter then there is no point hanging around on here just complaining about it.

I have to admit i was pleasantly suprised to get a reply like that.

Apathy, innit.

Shame they didn't agree to issue a 5 second voice over at the end of the next episode. If there is another?

HOLA448
The profit of £81,000 was a correct figure as the 3 independentestate agents valued the property at an average of just over £531,000 whichis £81,000 above the £450,000 total investment. The additional £75,000 costsinclude finance and other fees.

I don't watch the prog (no tv) but was that actually a "profit" or an "imagination figment" .

HOLA449
C4 can't add up or write correct English, it would seem.

Amazing how few people can communicate the English language these days ...

Apart from that though a decent response from C4, & I don't think the OP was being pedantic at all.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I'd love to look over the honest figures for some of these projects, i guess the show only goes on what it's told.

Its still up for sale at £525k asking. So there have certainly been more monthly mortgage payments etc to come out of that now £75k so called profit. I cant remember the date they back to value the place.

HOLA4412
I'd love to look over the honest figures for some of these projects, i guess the show only goes on what it's told.

Its still up for sale at £525k asking. So there have certainly been more monthly mortgage payments etc to come out of that now £75k so called profit. I cant remember the date they back to value the place.

If all your friends, neighbours, workmates etc are going to be watching, you would fudge the figures slightly to look a little less like a numpty, wouldn't you?

I did wonder if they would be able to sell even at the lowest agents figure, because of the crash.

I found the property on findaproperty and had a look at it's competition. You can get a shed load of house for 525K around Faversham, with lots of garden. Your going to really want a 'high end spec' alot to pay that sort of money to get 3 beds and a very averaged sized garden. Why not have five beds and 3 acres?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Amazing how few people can communicate the English language these days ...

Apart from that though a decent response from C4, & I don't think the OP was being pedantic at all.

You included, it would seem.

People do not communicate the English language.

People communicate via the English language.

HOLA4416

That shows a mature understanding of how tv programmes are made and is a refreshing change from the automatic assumption of wild conspiracy that so often occurs.

HOLA4417
You included, it would seem.

People do not communicate the English language.

People communicate via the English language.

Haha well spotted, and that he is a pedant replying to another pedant's post on an even more pedantic point :P

HOLA4418
Guest X-QUORK

Well done for actually getting off your **** and doing something about the mistakes, it was more than any of the rest of us did.

Is your post a copy and paste of the original email as it arrived? If so, it's a shame they didn't take the time to proof read it before sending.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest X-QUORK

I'm sure somebody on here said they asked Beeny via Twitter and she'd confirmed the £1500 a week figure to be correct.

HOLA4421
Let me get this straight, the use Estate Agent valuations, without any adjustments,

to calculate profits?

That is delusional

nah, grany bovey is on the production team and assured them that the profits are there, just yet to materialise.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Guest X-QUORK
The letter is a copy & paste as it arrived just with names blanked out.

No surprise that they didn't bother to check the program content before transmission then.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425