House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Tv Ownership / Licence Holding

There seem to be quite a few people who have given up their telly entirely. I greatly admire them but am not about to join them in the near future.

There are also several refusniks who won't buy a licence. Again you win my praise but circumstances mean I won't be doing the same.

So.... are these people a tiny minority or a decent chunk of this site? The truth is on here.

I'm assuming most people watch some iPlayer progs whatever category they fall into so haven't put that in the options.

The previous tenant forgot to update his address with TV licence central and pays by direct debit. So he remains uncovered in his new place place whilst I have had my licence paid for me the last two years.

Obviously had he left me a forwarding address i would have told him by now.

You would still need a TV licence with option 2. If you have a TV or video or any device that contains a UHF tuner then you need a licence, whether you watch BBC programmes or not. You could buy a monitor without the tuner and a DVD player/blu-ray. You could also buy a video player - a video recorder has a TV tuner and requires a TV licemce.

You would still need a TV licence with option 2. If you have a TV or video or any device that contains a UHF tuner then you need a licence, whether you watch BBC programmes or not. You could buy a monitor without the tuner and a DVD player/blu-ray. You could also buy a video player - a video recorder has a TV tuner and requires a TV licemce.

We have had this one before and the consensus is that the licence is payable not for possession of the equipment but for having it set up to receive broadcasts.

Where's:

"Whilst I don't approve of everything the BBC broadcast's, I recognise the law of the land and pay for my licence"?

I didn't think we had any of that sort on here so I didn't put that option up.

Only have a B/W set so the license is much cheaper.

I used to have one of those. About 1/4 of the price. The number of licensing letters I used to get....

They are going btw. All digital receivers receive in colour so when the analogue signal is switched off you will no longer be able to buy one.

I think that is the hidden agenda.

Never had a licence.

Never will.

I watch a lot of films, I love top gear, watch the news, and a few other mind numbing programs with my girlfriend occasionaly. I have asolutely no intention of paying any more than the elecricity bill and the occasional cost of a second hand telly (allthough ive never had to buy one) for the pleasure.

good luck to all you guys who pay your licence fee. I'm sure it gives you a warm and cozy feeling inside. But i just cant understand why anyone would pay it. I mean, what could possibly happen if everyone stopped paying? I'll tell you what, they would sell advertising like any other channel, which doesnt bother me in the slightest as im not that interested in telly anyway.

Never had a licence.

Never will.

I watch a lot of films, I love top gear, watch the news, and a few other mind numbing programs with my girlfriend occasionaly. I have asolutely no intention of paying any more than the elecricity bill and the occasional cost of a second hand telly (allthough ive never had to buy one) for the pleasure.

good luck to all you guys who pay your licence fee. I'm sure it gives you a warm and cozy feeling inside. But i just cant understand why anyone would pay it. I mean, what could possibly happen if everyone stopped paying? I'll tell you what, they would sell advertising like any other channel, which doesnt bother me in the slightest as im not that interested in telly anyway.

I thought they could take it and crush it in to a small box :blink: .

Perhaps I'm getting confused.

We have had this one before and the consensus is that the licence is payable not for possession of the equipment but for having it set up to receive broadcasts.

Here's a moral dilemma - if you only ever watched repeats broadcast by the BBC should you still need a licence? After all half their programming is repeats (even Question Time these days!). If you only watch iPlayer recordings you don't need a licence so why have one for viewing repeats?

Guest X-QUORK

A completely loaded poll question, so I'm wiping my **** with the ballot paper.

Guest X-QUORK
Never had a licence.

Never will.

Freeloader.

I'm in the second category - watch only bought DVD's.

I love the letters from the licensing people. Have a great stack now. Might make a nice little collage out of them all and send them back.

A completely loaded poll question, so I'm wiping my **** with the ballot paper.

Thank you Jonathan Ross. The cheque's in the post.

I'm in the second category - watch only bought DVD's.

I love the letters from the licensing people. Have a great stack now. Might make a nice little collage out of them all and send them back.

How many times have the snoopers been round? My daughter moved into a flat at the begining of the month and had a snooper round within 10 days.

How many times have the snoopers been round? My daughter moved into a flat at the begining of the month and had a snooper round within 10 days

Oh, I can't move for snoopers! I have 2 vans with big satellite dishes bleeping at me everytime I look at a square box!

No, not really. Haven't had anything but threats in letter form. Have two properties without licenses and not even a knock on the door when we've been in. Mind you, we're never really at home so they may have tried many a time.

I should tell them that I don't want to buy a license, but the letters they send are a useful source of paper for making shopping lists

I didn't have a license for many years when I lived in the UK. My experience is that Snooper Squad comes round periodically. I used to get two or three letters with vague threats a few weeks apart then a visit a few weeks after that. After he'd been told to go and f*ck himself I used to hear nothing for maybe 8-12 months when it would all start again.

There really is no realistic sanction for not having a license as long as you're not stupid enough to admit it.

I am a conditioned slave watching BBC propaganda and paying for the privilege

Worst poll ever. You assume everyone one watching the TV watches the BBC and believes everything it says.

You have no future career in primary research sir.

I haven't bought a TV licence for over six years. In that time I've had one visit which was a couple of days after I moved into a new rented house. The inspector asked me if I had a TV to which I replied yes. He then asked if I had a licence to which I replied no. He then said he would help me fill out the forms and buy one there and then. I said no thanks I only use it for dvd and xbox. He asked if the aerial was plugged in and I told him no. He said ok and off he toddled. Haven't heard a thing since.

I was very surprised. I expected him to ask to come in and check the TV but he didn't. Maybe he could kind of tell what my answer to that would have been.

I hasten to add that I never plug the aerial in and watch TV, EVER :P

Worst poll ever. You assume everyone one watching the TV watches the BBC and believes everything it says.

You have no future career in primary research sir.

I have a licence :(