House Price Crash Forum

Coming To A Field Near You

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
Thank you for sharing, my life has improved considerably since reading that.

The Yanks (and Canadians too I guess) are very lucky in that they have such huge, vast, enormous amounts of open space such that (even if privately owned and therefore technically trespassing) people made homeless can easily 'set up camp' like this.

The amount of open space is so damn vast that they can drive 15 mins out of town, set up their equipment and practice rifle shooting without the remotest fear of stray bullets hitting anyone - so uninhabited are some places!

As in the original Hoovervilles, there isnt a ridiculous attempt by the authorities to enforce whatever various petty laws may be broken - there is an implicit recognition that these people are trying to do the best for themselves without being a burden on others. Such attitiudes by officialdom would be impossibel here - as it is the job of the nanny state to look after us, even if we dont want it!

One interesting point though, and I may be reading too much between the lines here, is the amount of 'stuff' this bloke has!? The text refers to some bloke of 61 years of age - presumably now homeless (repossession?).

For a single guy he sure has a lot of stuff! Perhaps if he didnt waste so much money of 'stuff' he might have got by!?

Edited by anonguest

HOLA444
For a single guy he sure has a lot of stuff! Perhaps if he didnt waste so much money of 'stuff' he might have got by!?

I have a lot of 'stuff' too, mostly worthless, or worth very little.

Still. I agree those filthy poor people should be allowed to collect too much 'stuff'.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I want a place like Mick Dundee owns in the Crocodile Dundee films, Belongamick. If heavily armed baddies take days to track you down there the malnorished hordes will never make it.

HOLA447
I want a place like Mick Dundee owns in the Crocodile Dundee films, Belongamick. If heavily armed baddies take days to track you down there the malnorished hordes will never make it.

I still remember the day long ago when a work colleague came into work in the morning breathless with excitement that he had apparently inherited about 5000 acres of land in Canada, from a distant uncle or such like.

The first thing we did was gather round and help him search online maps, etc to identify it.

For about 90 seconds he had visions of precisely such a Belongamick type place. Turned out the land was under ice 10 months of the year at least and virtually unreachable!

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Could be that the OP is implying that the events depicted in the link (guy living in a van) has the potential to happen in a field near you .

So what? Just about anything can happen in a field near me, including air-plane crashes (been a while since we had one of those though, I must admit). People find themselves temporarily homeless all the time, for lots of reasons, bin there done that. I just don't' see this as worth posting. What am I missing here?

HOLA4411
Guest The Relaxation Suite
Edited by D-503

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest The Relaxation Suite
me too :(

sugar puffs.

"He got a mower and mowed down some of the thistles in the field around his "camp" and he seems in good humor."

We'll see how that humour does when the blizzards arrive.

HOLA4414