House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHERWICK

I Can't Stand Anything On Tv These Days

I simply cannot stand a single programme on TV these days (other than the occasional sporting programme like The Ashes or the Tour de France).

Whatever happened to programmes such as The World About Us, Panorama in the 70s and early 80s (which lasted a full hour and when even the theme music was much better!), Shoestring etc. etc.

Bored with it all.. :(

You dare to question the content of the propaganda box?

Report for re-education immediately!

Guest X-QUORK

Actually, The Street on BBC1 (Monday 9pm) is probably the best TV drama the UK has produced in years, give it a shot tonight. Each episode is a story in itself, so you don't need to have seen the first few episodes.

I'd add I don't normally go for these social kitchen sink dramas, but when they have guest actors like Bob Hoskins, you know you're on to a winner.

Whatever happened to programmes such as The World About Us, Panorama in the 70s and early 80s (which lasted a full hour and when even the theme music was much better!), Shoestring etc. etc.

Some would say it is nostalgia but I think programs were much better than they are today. In part I think even back in the 70s/80s a lot of the program makers, especially the serious documentary/political type stuff were made by proper journalists, from a background where if you wanted a story you had to do all the leg work, news readers and reporters these days are little more than a shop dummy with a press release to read out.

Even channels like Discovery and History where there could be the potential for something decent are full of dross, mass produced rubbish like Trawler men and Ice Truckers which is essentially the same week in week out, yes the life of a crab fisher man is interesting but it doesn't need more than 60 minutes, once, to show you that.

I watch about 2 hours of TV a week, Monday night University Challenge and Supersizers, Thursday night Psychoville . They are the only things I actively go out of my way to watch.

Actually, The Street on BBC1 (Monday 9pm) is probably the best TV drama the UK has produced in years, give it a shot tonight. Each episode is a story in itself, so you don't need to have seen the first few episodes.

I'd add I don't normally go for these social kitchen sink dramas, but when they have guest actors like Bob Hoskins, you know you're on to a winner.

+1

The first two episodes have been really good.

Some would say it is nostalgia but I think programs were much better than they are today. In part I think even back in the 70s/80s a lot of the program makers, especially the serious documentary/political type stuff were made by proper journalists, from a background where if you wanted a story you had to do all the leg work, news readers and reporters these days are little more than a shop dummy with a press release to read out.

Yes, ever since they forced the BBC to be "commercial" and try to copy Sky and the tabloids its gone downhill. Amazing, people predicted it would happen, but the politically correct thing to do was copy the commercial lowest common denominator model. We can't complain, "we" apparantly wanted this.

I simply cannot stand a single programme on TV these days (other than the occasional sporting programme like The Ashes or the Tour de France).

Yes, I agree. The adverts are fab though - much more interesting! I was watching the Yesterday channel and some old programmes from the 70s. Actors could really act back then. No swearing, no violence (apart from the Sweeney) and no background music.

Why not throw your set in the skip and start up a hobby? You will find it much more rewarding I am sure.

I actually watched a new BBC comedy that Was pretty decent. 'How not to live your life'.

I was shocked. I laughed quite a lot. I do agree that a lot of TV has been seriously dumbed down recently though.

TV is really only for women now. Its a bit chicken and egg as to how this happened (see Michael Buerk's rather contentious comments in 2005) but they are the viewing audience and for commercial broadcasters they do control the majority of spending decisions. ITV has absolutely nothing men would want to watch and the BBC have to follow them to compete for viewers. Even the formats that have been retained have been altered; Question of Sport, The Bill, Top Gear... You have to wait seven years for The Wire to appear but things like Grey's Anatomy turn up with almost indecent haste, it isn't an accident. And fair enough really, you can't broadcast to viewers who aren't there. I don't know any men who watch TV much these days but wives and girlfriends seem as keen as ever.

Either 'get in touch with your feelings' or find something else to do!

Yeah i know what you mean, I turned on the TV last night and couldn't find a single thing to watch, I've been watching a lot of dvds recently to make up for the absence of anything good on the box, bought myself all 6 series of 24, anyone else watch it?I'm loving it.

the BBC have to follow them to compete for viewers.

Why does the BBC have to compete? They get paid regardless of who watches and when through the wonderful TV tax. The BBC used to be intellectually demanding once upon a time; if you didn't understand it then tough. Now it is utter dross and even the news is dumbed down biased nonsense.

Skip your TV and you won't notice it has gone.

Why does the BBC have to compete? They get paid regardless of who watches and when through the wonderful TV tax. The BBC used to be intellectually demanding once upon a time; if you didn't understand it then tough. Now it is utter dross and even the news is dumbed down biased nonsense.

Yeah the Street is normally great (thought last week's was a bit stupid though)

I watch maybe 1 hour worth of comedy (normally on iplayer whilst I do something else) and Sport (at the pub now I don't bother with sky) and that's it. I am seriously considering stopping the license but my GF watches loads of crap...I inevitably end up seeing a bit and can confirm that TV is largely a waste of time.

No nostalgia here though, it's almost always been very limited, you just now have more 'crap' to choose from

I Can't Stand Anything On Tv These Days

Same trouble here.

Since I bought a flat screen TV I've had to find a new place for the baby photos.

Boom Boom! It's the way you tell 'em!

I actually watched a new BBC comedy that Was pretty decent. 'How not to live your life'.

I was shocked. I laughed quite a lot. I do agree that a lot of TV has been seriously dumbed down recently though.

The pilot for this last year (maybe longer) was hilarious and really subversive. I caught one episode of the 'proper' series and felt like it had lost something in the race to find the lowest common denominator...

Because many of the folk who object to the "wonderful TV tax" demand the BBC behave commercially rather then being wishy-washy liberal lefties and producing intellectually demanding stuff.

Consider the pattern

1970's BBC well respected, nobody bashing it politically

1980's politicians bash the BBC to coerce its content, BBC starts to decline

1990's politicians cut BBC and prefer accountants to run BBC programme making, BBC declines further

2000's all politicians slaves of Murdoch - compete so see who can promise him BBC at lowest price

Plenty people notice its gone - that's why they yearn for the good programming of old.

When a sufficiently high proportion of those who remember the BBC of old are dead the politicians will scrap it without fear of public backlash. Meantime the process is kept on track with regular accusations of BBC bias.

OK, watched The Street for the first time tonight and gotta admit that it's great.

Thanks X.

Because many of the folk who object to the "wonderful TV tax" demand the BBC behave commercially rather then being wishy-washy liberal lefties and producing intellectually demanding stuff.

Consider the pattern

1970's BBC well respected, nobody bashing it politically

1980's politicians bash the BBC to coerce its content, BBC starts to decline

1990's politicians cut BBC and prefer accountants to run BBC programme making, BBC declines further

2000's all politicians slaves of Murdoch - compete so see who can promise him BBC at lowest price

Plenty people notice its gone - that's why they yearn for the good programming of old.

When a sufficiently high proportion of those who remember the BBC of old are dead the politicians will scrap it without fear of public backlash. Meantime the process is kept on track with regular accusations of BBC bias.

100% correct.

This is a bit old now but worth reading: http://www.gla.ac.uk/centres/mediagroup/PD...icsNewRight.pdf

If it reads a bit strangely in places its because it was OCR'd from a typewritten m/s. (e.g., "fiffi" employment -> "full employment")

See also: practically all other public services.

Guest DisposableHeroes

Really enjoyed the tour de france. MotoGP has been very good with the fight out between Lorenzo and Rossi. The Wire. Various documentaries. Wimbledon, excellent.

No doubt theirs a good old fair heap of dogs doins as well. I'm trying to limit my viewing a bit I catch myself watching too much drivel.

Watched a program the other night about moving more than a dozen yachts across the Atlantic, in a large container ship. Bloody interesting.

I haven't watched the box for years now. What a pile of tripe.

Long live the internet!

and illegal movie downloads

I recently watched the Alan Whicker retrospects and thought they showed up how truly sh1te TV is nowadays. Perhaps one lesson from Whicker would be that TV interviews are better when interviewers are genuinely interested in their subjects rather than promoting themselves. Another old series I thought was good was that science series with James Burke.

I often think now TV is too preachy and always seems to have to have a message. To me I always find it clumsy and almost like you can see the strings being pulled.

One thing I've noticed with on-demand is that now you don't have to make any special effort to watch a programme when it's broadcast I often find I don't ever bother watching it at all.