House Price Crash Forum
Mega

Peek Oil Story

I been told for years to watch out for this:-

http://in.reuters.com/article/oilRpt/idINN2446027220090724

mike

Mexico also imports a lot of refined products (Total consumption is circa 2.2mb/day), so exports are dropping off a cliff as per the Export Land Model.

The main significance of this is for the US, which will have to replace Mexican exports with more distant sources. The issue globally is that more and more exporters are either becoming importers (i.e. the UK, Indonesia) or sharply cutting back exports due to depletion (Norway, Mexico)

Once Russia resumes oil production decline then pretty much all additional exports will have to come from those nice, stable, friendly countries in the Middle east.,. but cycling is good for you, so that's OK.

Oil production is some 10 million barillas a day higher today than it was 10 years ago.

Coal production is up about 35% along with gas production also about 35% compared to 10 years ago.

We are awash in energy.

we arn't producing coal or gas, we are extracting, they are none renuable when peak oil becomes truley felt ie $500 a barrel how much will a loaf of bread cost, I had hoped this would not play out in my time I give it less than 5 years before people start starving to death here

we arn't producing coal or gas, we are extracting, they are none renuable when peak oil becomes truley felt ie $500 a barrel how much will a loaf of bread cost, I had hoped this would not play out in my time I give it less than 5 years before people start starving to death here

hahahahahhaa

dont forget to protect the kitty.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Edited by cells

Keep it to yourself.

I prefer the scarcity story.

Yes nice story isn’t it.

Imagine what you could get away with if you scared people into believing they will all starve to death and not be able to watch big brother in ten years time.

1998 worldwide natural gas production: 2273 billion cubic meters

2008 worldwide natural gas production: 3066 billion cubic meters

34.88% increase in production over the decade!

1998 worldwide coal production: 2227 MTOE

2008 worldwide coal production: 3325 MTOE

49.30% increase in production over the decade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peak energy my ****.

not to mention the fact that BP-CNPC just won the contract to increase production at the first field put up for auction in iraq (rumaila) - this one field alone having the capacity to produce 2.5 to 3M b/d

and with another 11 GREEN FIELDS coming up for auction in Iraq, the chinese (CNPC/Sinopec) ill be able to increase world production by 6M b/d from this one country alone....

this is saying nothing about the masses of unexplored areas in verified oil producing parts of the world in Iran, Iraq, Russia, Kazakhstan - not to mention the central african regions which have just emerged from decades of war and stagnation (and with chinese companies in tow) are having double digit economic growth to finally exploit their natural resources (read: Angola and DRC)

there will be a "wealth shift" from Europe to Asia/Africa/latin america. But there won't be "peak oil" for some time yet...

Ironically such a wealth shift will solve one of the UK's biggest problems... third world migrants! So everyone's a winner!

Edited by hayder

not to mention the fact that BP-CNPC just won the contract to increase production at the first field put up for auction in iraq (rumaila) - this one field alone having the capacity to produce 2.5 to 3M b/d

and with another 11 GREEN FIELDS coming up for auction in Iraq, the chinese (CNPC/Sinopec) ill be able to increase world production by 6M b/d from this one country alone....

this is saying nothing about the masses of unexplored areas in verified oil producing parts of the world in Iran, Iraq, Russia, Kazakhstan - not to mention the central african regions which have just emerged from decades of war and stagnation (and with chinese companies in tow) are having double digit economic growth to finally exploit their natural resources.

there will be a "wealth shift" from Europe to Asia/Africa/latin america. But there won't be "peak oil" for some time yet...

Ironically such a wealth shift will solve one of the UK's biggest problems... third world migrants! So everyone's a winner!

Iraq has potential, although oil prospecting/developing is surprisingly difficult even there when people keep kidnapping you and cutting your head off.

The former USSR has been heavily explored, and it's doubtful that there is much to find in central Africa.

Of course, if we are so awash with oil, why do people even bother with places like the above?

MTOE

Total: 11360

Oil: 3929 (34.5%)

Gas: 2770 (24.4%)

Coal: 3225 (28.4%)

Fossil fuels = 87.3%

Nuclear: 620 (5.5%)

Hydro: 718 (6.3%)

Hydro and nuclear = 11.8%

Wind: 69 (0.6%)

Geothermal: 23 (0.2%)

Solar PV: 6 (0.05%)

Rest: < 1%

To Be Honest

Solar thermal power does have a great potential for generating reliable grid electricity with the USA, China's western Deserts and the Middle-East having the potential for supplying a great percentage of the world's electricty requirement, as well as reducing their domestic consumption of crude-oil.

Also if the "Grand Inga" dam in the congo is ever built, it could power most of sub-saharan africa, leaving their oil / uranium to be available for export...

Now that Brazil is going ahead with Damming the Longest tributary of the Amazon, expect huge jumps in hydro power use from these sources...

In fact efficient DC power transmission from source to consumer is probably the biggest hurdle for massively increased use of renewables. It would open up Russia's great Siberian dams to power Eastern Europe and reduce natural gas consumption massively!

Iraq has potential, although oil prospecting/developing is surprisingly difficult even there when people keep kidnapping you and cutting your head off.

The former USSR has been heavily explored, and it's doubtful that there is much to find in central Africa.

Of course, if we are so awash with oil, why do people even bother with places like the above?

Oil in itself isn’t important, energy as a whole is more important.

Oil/gas/coal is mostly interchangeable and so is nuclear/hydro/renewable.

For example oil cannot go up in price 10x alone because a lot of people will convert their cars to gas which would suppress oil prices and increase gas prices.

Gas alone cannot go up, because people would shut gas plants and open more coal plants, suppressing gas and increasing coal prices.

Gas/coal cannot increase considerably as more nuclear/hydro would be build which would suppress the price of gas/coal.

Energy as a whole has not peaked. It has been growing strongly and will continue to grow for the foreseeable future.

Wage costs are a pittance compared to comparable sites in the UK and US ?

Wage costs are a pittance compared to comparable sites in the UK and US ?

Few places comparable to western Siberia - and there wage costs are high along with the fact that virtually everything has to be flown in.

Few places comparable to western Siberia - and there wage costs are high along with the fact that virtually everything has to be flown in.

transsib + barge?

Oil production is some 10 million barillas a day higher today than it was 10 years ago.

Coal production is up about 35% along with gas production also about 35% compared to 10 years ago.

We are awash in energy.

Isnt that what Peak oil is - the high water mark of energy production ;)

Sure it must be. What about other areas ? Do Oil workers get decent pay - even in poorer countries ? Not talking comparitively here.

transsib + barge?

I dont believe there is any significant rail network in the oil / gas regions. BAM runs along the Sauthern Edge of Siberia

The Ob and other rivers into the Interior are rock solid with ice for 5 months a year.

Why Siberian Oil costs so much more to produce than Saudi oil

Sure it must be. What about other areas ? Do Oil workers get decent pay - even in poorer countries ? Not talking comparitively here.

I read 3 times the typical russian wage - $40,000 is the average pay for oilfield workers in Sib