House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Garry AKA Pod

Tips For Improving Memory

My short term memory is appalling at the moment, to the point of forgetting things 5 minutes later. A tad worrying to say I'm not quite dirty thirty.

I could do with getting back into a regular sleep routine of 7-8 hours, and drinking less but aside from this, I'm a bit stumped as to what else to try. Do i need to exercise my brain more? I'm not into Sudoku.

There are a few things that may help:

Keep hydrated - this one is a definite.

There's some arguments for Turmeric helping memory - just add it in to a sauce you might be cooking/sift it into flour if your baking something savoury (the pastry will look yellow...) or eat more curries - turmeric doesn't alter the tast of your food much, just adds a certain glow to it.

Declutter. My main example of this is my handbag - when it's full of till receipts and other bits of paper etc, I'm truly scatterbrained, and can't manage to remember what I went to the shops to buy, and invariably walk around the supermarket repeating to myself the 2 things I went in to buy in the hope of remembering them before I get distracted by something far more interesting than Bog rolls and squash.

If I clear out my handbag, and am only carrying purse keys and phone etc, then I'm considerably more focused. I'm presuming you're a chap, so don't have a manbag, but maybe there's an area of the house you work/sit at a lot, that could do with a clear out.

Excerising your brain doesn't have to be in the form of Sudoku, there are plenty of other options, and even something like Mah Jong, some of the more complex card games that come free on your PC/laptop will help a bit. Or you could read something challenging, or download some math puzzles to do, that aren't just putting numbers in boxes (I love sudoku, but I don't know that it's helping my memory - I'm in my early 30s)

My short term memory is appalling at the moment, to the point of forgetting things 5 minutes later. A tad worrying to say I'm not quite dirty thirty.

I could do with getting back into a regular sleep routine of 7-8 hours, and drinking less but aside from this, I'm a bit stumped as to what else to try. Do i need to exercise my brain more? I'm not into Sudoku.

Lay off the weed ;)

Sage is reputed to be good for memory. Also omega 3 fish oils (don't buy plant based omega 3's - they don't work)

Do i need to exercise my brain more? I'm not into Sudoku.

learn to play poker. very complex game requiring maths skills and other more arbitrary judgements. and all at the comfort of your computer with HPC in a window beside it!

watch Countdown...I haven't been able to watch it since I was a lazy student, but gets the grey matter humming (I always seem to get 1 letter less than the contestants on the letters game, but can def take them on the numbers and conundrum!).

Stop reading Heat magazine and upgrade to something more intellectual...New Scientist is my personal preference.

learn to play poker. very complex game requiring maths skills and other more arbitrary judgements. and all at the comfort of your computer with HPC in a window beside it!

watch Countdown...I haven't been able to watch it since I was a lazy student, but gets the grey matter humming (I always seem to get 1 letter less than the contestants on the letters game, but can def take them on the numbers and conundrum!).

Sadly, my brain shuts down when it faces maths problems. Never been my forte. I do think I need to find a way to do more problem solving though.

Perhaps I'll give poker a try, but as you say, purely from the comfort of my PC. Otherwise, it will involve booze and late nights, which are my 2 main faults.

I was going to give you the answer but it's slipped my mind

Jimothy, you have left the deep fat fryer on you daft c_nt

Jimothy, you have left the deep fat fryer on you daft c_nt

Oh don't! Hate deep fat fryers. I blame an episode of Casualty from the late 80's.

Oh don't! Hate deep fat fryers. I blame an episode of Casualty from the late 80's.

Better than leaving the fat friar on?

Better than leaving the fat friar on?

I just presumed that smell was due a neighbour filling his Diesel up with cooking oil. :o

Remember things as stories/pictures. I saw a memory man on TV talking about this years ago. Gave a wee example. I still remember it about 10 years later. Impressive.

Capital cities.

Capital of Mississippi = Jacksonville.

Just imagine Micheal Jackson wading through the Mississippi river. Get that image in your head. You will never forget it. Either will anyone else who reads this post. Unless you get alzheimers or something. But that is out of my power.

Good luck.

Remember things as stories/pictures. I saw a memory man on TV talking about this years ago. Gave a wee example. I still remember it about 10 years later. Impressive.

Capital cities.

Just imagine Micheal Jackson wading through the Mississippi river. Get that image in your head. You will never forget it. Either will anyone else who reads this post. Unless you get alzheimers or something. But that is out of my power.

Good luck.

The capital city of Mississippi is called Jackson. ;)

Guest Skinty

You know that you started another thread on this subject a few days ago don't you?

Cut down on the stress, when I get stressed I get very forgetful.

As its possible the (stone age) human body might be engaged in horrific activities during stressful times its a mechanism to shut out bad memories. Its a coping mechanism.

Remembering to renew your MOT and car insurance every day for a week is hardly shutting out bad memories. :lol:

Guest anorthosite
You know that you started another thread on this subject a few days ago don't you?

FFS Jimothy, you post this every few days :angry:

Stick a post-it note on your PC telling you you've done it will you. Are you actually coming back to the thread to read the tips?!?

We could have a whole new subforum devoted to "How can I improve my memory?" threads.

Guest anorthosite
We could have a whole new subforum devoted to "How can I improve my memory?" threads.

He'd forget it was there and carry on posting here :(

The capital city of Mississippi is called Jackson. ;)

Doh !!

Oh well - I half remembered it. Not bad for 10 years. Why the f#ck did I add the Ville....I must of thought it sounded better. :lol:

FFS Jimothy, you post this every few days :angry:

Stick a post-it note on your PC telling you you've done it will you. Are you actually coming back to the thread to read the tips?!?

I saw a film about that once. Can't remember the name of it. Mike from Neighbours was in it.

Capital cities.

Good luck.

Right. Visual memory is a lot stronger than verbal. And it doesn't have to be an elaborate or creative visual. In my work I have to remember multiple sequences of numbers regularly. I usually recall one sequence visually (ie *see* a picture of the numbers) and the other verbally. It works.