House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_dork

Car Insurance

Haven't been driving for a while but now need a car for work. As a 25 yo, never had accident on modest bog standard vehicle what sort of figure will I be looking at (incl work coverage)? How does this compare to not covering the work usage?

Also, scuse my ignorance but what is the difference in practical terms between 'third party' cover only and other types?

TIA

Haven't been driving for a while but now need a car for work. As a 25 yo, never had accident on modest bog standard vehicle what sort of figure will I be looking at (incl work coverage)? How does this compare to not covering the work usage?

Also, scuse my ignorance but what is the difference in practical terms between 'third party' cover only and other types?

TIA

3rd party means if you have an accident its all covered EXCEPT the cost of repairing your car.

"Fully comp" includes your car as well.

I think thats all there is. The other advantage of Fully Comp also is that you can then drive any other car on a "third party" basis.

3rd party means if you have an accident its all covered EXCEPT the cost of repairing your car.

"Fully comp" includes your car as well.

Also Third Party Fire and Theft, which will cover chav damage to your own car.

I think thats all there is. The other advantage of Fully Comp also is that you can then drive any other car on a "third party" basis.

Usually although not always - best to check the terms.

Expect to pay through the nose for your age I am afraid. My insurance halved the day I hit thirty.

TIA

I'd hazard a guess of around £600-£700 for you, fully comp. Too many factors are involved to be more specific.

Whatever you do, checkout www.quidco.com

A fab cashback site where you'd expect to receive around £60-£80 cashback for taking out a new car policy.

Not a scam, Quidco have been around for years and some of us have earned a good few grand over that time.

Also Third Party Fire and Theft, which will cover chav damage to your own car.

For some weird reason, fully comp insurance can sometimes be cheaper than third party, fire and theft. In autumn 1999 and then again in spring 2001 I did some pretty intensive shopping around because I'd gone from a low risk occupation to a very high risk one (postgraduate student to cinema projectionist) and then back to a low risk one (to university lecturer). This was with the same car (a '95 Fiat Tempra) throughout. In 2001 I found that all the fully comp quotes I got were around £30-50 cheaper than the third party, fire and theft ones. I can only assume that this is because anyone asking for the latter is assumed to be dodgy or in some way, or a very inexperienced driver (I passed my test in 1994: between then I had one accident that was my fault, less than a year later, and another one that wasn't, in 1997). But I guess that shows that foregoing fully comp is not necessarily a way to save money.

For some weird reason, fully comp insurance can sometimes be cheaper than third party, fire and theft. In autumn 1999 and then again in spring 2001 I did some pretty intensive shopping around because I'd gone from a low risk occupation to a very high risk one (postgraduate student to cinema projectionist) and then back to a low risk one (to university lecturer). This was with the same car (a '95 Fiat Tempra) throughout. In 2001 I found that all the fully comp quotes I got were around £30-50 cheaper than the third party, fire and theft ones. I can only assume that this is because anyone asking for the latter is assumed to be dodgy or in some way, or a very inexperienced driver (I passed my test in 1994: between then I had one accident that was my fault, less than a year later, and another one that wasn't, in 1997). But I guess that shows that foregoing fully comp is not necessarily a way to save money.

I never knew being a cinema projectionist was such a risky profession. Does having to watch the same Hollywood blockbuster (aka shyte) over and over make you a bit dolally, thus more likely to be in an accident?

TIA

From when i worked at an insurance brokerage, If its social domestic pleasure with and with out coverage to a set place of work there is very rarely any differance. If its business mileage, It can bump up the price from very little to quite a lot, depending on the type of business miles.

I never knew being a cinema projectionist was such a risky profession. Does having to watch the same Hollywood blockbuster (aka shyte) over and over make you a bit dolally, thus more likely to be in an accident?

It counts as 'entertainment industry'. If you look at the small print on insurance offers, working in the motor trade and entertainment industry is specifically excluded from the terms of the quote. You've got to tell them, and they come back with a much higher quote.

I guess the thinking is that you're likely to be working weird hours, finishing late at night, sharing the road with p!ssheads driving home, or even possibly having had one too many drinks after work yourself, etc. etc. I felt that the insurance sting was a bit unfair given that I commuted to and from the cinema on foot and I did shop around to see if there was a policy that offered a discount for not covering commuting by car, but couldn't find one.

Whatever you do, checkout www.quidco.com

A fab cashback site where you'd expect to receive around £60-£80 cashback for taking out a new car policy.

Not a scam, Quidco have been around for years and some of us have earned a good few grand over that time.

Ive found the offers seem to have got really rubbish these last few years. Getting £60 back isnt that good a deal when the insurance is £100-200 more than directline.

Try directline is my advise.

Actually one other thing, I've only ever insured with elephant because they are always miles cheaper than everyone else...my sitch though is single guy/powerful car/central london, so maybe different...but I remember the first car I got when ~25 the elephant quote was more than 50% less than everyone else (still £3k+ though!!) ... I've always thought that they've been mis-pricing it since no-one else quotes even close to them (they are actually the same as Admiral but it's the same company, if you fill in the forms you'll see they are identical, just with different background pics).

Simple advice is check on one of the comparison sites. I was moved to do this after my renewal went up over 10% and got the same cover with Hastings for £200 vs £330 (the headline figure was £168, so pretty much half, but it was missing an option and a couple of the excesses were too high in the initial quote).

Also finally chopped the AA for one costing less than half price. Since being taken over by a private equity fund the AA have managed to annoy me (cancelling my automatic renewal for no reason and no apology) and kept ratcheting up the price. Now paying less than half my £140+ annual fee.

I did ask one insurance company about the tiny differential between comprehensive and tpf&t prices. They said that basically they regard anybody after tpf&t as a bit dodgy so they don't really want them.

Also finally chopped the AA for one costing less than half price.

I chopped the AA after it took them seven hours to recover myself and my car after I was rear-ended by a woman on a mobile phone. They came and towed her car away within an hour, but the AA man who towed her told me that they have a policy of prioritising women travelling alone and so I was further down the queue. A lot further down the queue as it happened: the accident happened at about 7pm and it was 2am by the side of a deserted country road in North Wales in the sheeting rain before they came for me. As women travelling alone pay no more for AA membership than I do, I don't see why I should subsidise them by getting inferior service. I switched to the RAC the following year, and have never needed to call them out since.

I chopped the AA after it took them seven hours to recover myself and my car after I was rear-ended by a woman on a mobile phone. They came and towed her car away within an hour, but the AA man who towed her told me that they have a policy of prioritising women travelling alone and so I was further down the queue. A lot further down the queue as it happened: the accident happened at about 7pm and it was 2am by the side of a deserted country road in North Wales in the sheeting rain before they came for me. As women travelling alone pay no more for AA membership than I do, I don't see why I should subsidise them by getting inferior service. I switched to the RAC the following year, and have never needed to call them out since.

I do wonder how stupid some of these advertisers think we are.

As the AA, offers priority service for members in vulnerable situations. Then that must mean that any member deemed not to in a vulnerable situation (i.e. an able-bodied man) will pay the same price for a second rate service. No thank you.

Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

I have a trade policy.It only covers me third party but covers me for any car whatever the group rating.It costs me £510.

I insure a single car fully comp and generally pay less than £200 (Merc SLK) Every year the company tries to hike it by 50%+ I just go with another company.I guess that they are subsidising new business in the hope that they can claw it back in future years.

I do wonder how stupid some of these advertisers think we are.

As the AA, offers priority service for members in vulnerable situations. Then that must mean that any member deemed not to in a vulnerable situation (i.e. an able-bodied man) will pay the same price for a second rate service. No thank you.

So when you ring up tell them you are disabled, or just had an operation or some such thing. Just play the game.