HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
So your avatar is now in memoriam a generation?

(and are there any still alive in other countries involved in that war)?

Yes it is and when I first picked it the three of them were still alive.

There are three left. John Babcock, Frank Buckles and Claude Choules. One in the US, one in Aussie and one in Canada.

HOLA4414
Ever watch "The Last Tommy"? Boy, that wasn't so much a lump in the throat as a snooker ball.

Yes, quality TV. Harry was in that. The most poignant for me was Arthur Halestrap who had walked the deck of the Titanic prior to its sailing. Amazing stuff.

The History channel ran a series called "The Last Voices of World War 1" which featured interviews with some of the last survivors. Terrific TV.

HOLA4415
Yes, quality TV. Harry was in that. The most poignant for me was Arthur Halestrap who had walked the deck of the Titanic prior to its sailing. Amazing stuff.

The History channel ran a series called "The Last Voices of World War 1" which featured interviews with some of the last survivors. Terrific TV.

Yes, a real old gentleman wasn't he? Spruced up and wearing his medals with pride if I recall.

I checked on the 1901 Census and found him; amazing to see a (then) living person recorded so long ago.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest tbatst2000
just very lucky to be alive

Yes, that does seem to be how a lot of them thought. A mate of dad's from his days in the RAF (long dead now) who'd flown in the Battle of Britain and been shot down used to drink like a fish, chain smoke cigars, eat whatever he wanted and drive like a maniac on the basis that it didn't matter since he'd been living on borrowed time since 1940 (he made it to 80 all the same).

HOLA4420
What gets me about these old boys is how modest and humble they were, who considered themselves nothing special, just very lucky to be alive.

RIP Harry.

What gets me in general about older people is that they are generally modest and humble.

Unfortunately in the current age these character traits are not well valued. These people went through suffering and sacrifice and still kept a sense of humour and a perspective. I don't see how much better off we are with Ipods and Nikes and big houses and plenty, but without the plenty of spirit and the dignity that their, now disappearing culture encompassed.

HOLA4421
Yes, a real old gentleman wasn't he? Spruced up and wearing his medals with pride if I recall.

I checked on the 1901 Census and found him; amazing to see a (then) living person recorded so long ago.

Indeed he was. Absolutely wore his medals with pride and rightly so. Also featured the last old contemptible, Arthur Anderson.

It was a brilliant piece of TV wasn't it.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
The saddest thing for veterans of both wars has been watching the disintegration of the country they fought to protect.... "Its just not England any more".

you are a piece of shit.

This is a thread to pay tribute to Harry not for you to spew out your vile right wing views.

HOLA4424

Rip Harry we wont see character like him again who got on with it through whatever was fhrown at them

Ive always enjoyed talking to older people particularly one who lived and survived through the wars and lived through the 1930's slump. My granddad died 3 years ago at 94 he used to talk about there being no work in the 30's and if 1 person in a family had a job other people were not allowed to have one his brother worked but he didnt. Hard times but he used to hang out with his mates and ive seen pictures of him when they travelled around to Ireland on someones boat as there was nothing better to do not worryed about debts as no one had anything!!!

HOLA4425
Guest Barebear

My great grandad and great uncle were in WW1. They may have even run into Harry.

What they always used to say that after experiencing such horrors the rest of their lives was a doddle and they never worried about everyday problems such as work,housing,health etc.

These guys also lived through the depression and another world war.

R.I.P Harry Patch we may never see your like again.

Archived