House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joey Buttafueco Jr

I'll Be Nation's Hate Figure, Says Top Tory Philip Hammond

Great minds & fools, eh?

I get the distinct impression that our next election will be rather unusual... with the opposition promising to be hated in advance of the election. I wonder if that's a first?

My current hunch is that the next really important thing that will happen is that interest rates will be forced to rise - maybe the base rate - but definitely the cost of actual finance. I think that might be the trigger for a second leg-down for house prices - and from where it might be possible to bring asset prices back in line with the real value they represent... and facilitate new economic activity. This ties in with the discussion about the challenge of retaining a AAA sovereign rating. An interesting idea I've started to ponder is the effect of losing AAA - given its close association with Sterling - and the hunch that much retail/commercial borrowing in the UK is ultimately from foreign investors. It would be fascinating to find some worked-through projections - because while the direction of influence is obvious, the magnitude of any effect is rather more opaque.

didnt like him much at school....he'd cause disruption in geography arguing with Mr Perkins, the teacher IIRC.

Seeing Public sector workers buying new ish 09 Audi & BMW's...........Time for a cull!

Mike

check out the staff car park at Colchester Station......its an eye opener

Great minds & fools, eh?

I get the distinct impression that our next election will be rather unusual... with the opposition promising to be hated in advance of the election. I wonder if that's a first?

My current hunch is that the next really important thing that will happen is that interest rates will be forced to rise - maybe the base rate - but definitely the cost of actual finance. I think that might be the trigger for a second leg-down for house prices - and from where it might be possible to bring asset prices back in line with the real value they represent... and facilitate new economic activity. This ties in with the discussion about the challenge of retaining a AAA sovereign rating. An interesting idea I've started to ponder is the effect of losing AAA - given its close association with Sterling - and the hunch that much retail/commercial borrowing in the UK is ultimately from foreign investors. It would be fascinating to find some worked-through projections - because while the direction of influence is obvious, the magnitude of any effect is rather more opaque.

I think the question is whether the UK will lose it's AAA rating before the election and even then would proposed Conservative spending cuts be enough to appease the markets.

The nightmare scenario is that "Real" lending rates seem to be set to rise regardless of Boe policy whilst public sector jobs will go and taxes will most likely have to rise aswell.

Brown is still considered to have been a good Chancellor in many circles ... what a joke.

To be honest a lot of it is massivly cut list price, neither cars i saw this morning were more than "Rep" motors..........What we see is a sudden & massive drop in the value of the £.........even Wilson would be shocked by how much Labour have had to devaule THIS time.

With a recovering Germany the Euro will float, the £ will sink & BMW & Merc & Audi etc will see the UK market become Niche again like the 70's.

I suspect our transport needs will arrive off a boat from China.

Mike

With a recovering Germany the Euro will float, the � will sink & BMW & Merc & Audi etc will see the UK market become Niche again like the 70's.

I suspect our transport needs will arrive off a boat from China.

Mike

Yes, I've been suspecting this for some time - the "prestige" brands being restricted to the small number of people who can actually afford them.

Our transport needs will actually be supplied by buses, trains, bicycles and mopeds - just as they were in the era before cheap credit.

Surely Nick Griffin already holds that position?

Nah, we dont hate him.

We just laugh at him.

Hate wont get you anywhere apart from very worked up!

I have been spending a lot of time trying to be Gerald Celente, we know the £ is being surrported via CB's. I suspect that will fall always when they feel "They past the worst"........While Euro-land has troubles it will atlest be a steady course. The asre will have fallen out of the £ by then, our fall in North Sea Oil production to total collaspe in the "City" as overseas investers seek honest markets!

Mike