House Price Crash Forum
bogbrush

Councils Closing The Funding Gap In The Only Way They Know

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8168191.stm

When I first read this I thought it had to be a function of some scumbag private firm boosting their profits because of lax regulation, but nope, it was our own dear local representatives.

Eventually the penny is going to drop; seeking authority to run other peoples lives is a clear indicator of criminal tendencies. There is an underlying reason why every government has to be overthrown at some point.

When I first read this I thought it had to be a function of some scumbag private firm boosting their profits because of lax regulation, but nope, it was our own dear local representatives.

Eventually the penny is going to drop; seeking authority to run other peoples lives is a clear indicator of criminal tendencies. There is an underlying reason why every government has to be overthrown at some point.

A symptom of where the economy now is - all organisations have become money grubbing leeches.

The issue is the interest based system, it can only run so far without either default or inflation. Inflation has been largely cured in recent times, and now all organisations, individuals and companies are on the limit of just about or not being able to service their debt. Even if an individual Council is not broke, you can bet it overpays its staff who need overpaying because they have to service so much interest just to buy or rent a house.

The system has hit the buffers, and service just goes out the window. I've seen this also from the big IT firms like HP/EDS , IBM and Accenture. The staff are all over stretched and the money grubbing firms skirt around at the edge of the contract trying to deliver as crap a service as possible without triggering penalties whilst screwing the client for the most money.

Its the same everywhere. The only people that have won are the banks, but they fell into the same hole as everyone else, its just they managed to convince foolish politicians that they needed a bailout.

Perhaps people in other sectors could do the same?

Oh we're the local Water Company and we have run out of money, if you don't bail us out we'll have to cut off the water supply.

We're from the Electricity generator........

We manage the UK's Nuclear Weapons.......

Guest The Relaxation Suite
It's all about revenues now, everyone needs cash.

Definitely all about money now as councils try and keep themselves afloat. Question is: what happened to all the record high council taxes they received in the last 10 years? They certainly didn't spend the money improving the roads.

I hate to say it, but this time its called 'privatisation'. These are private firms who get bonuses for meeting income targets so that is what they do. Its a classic of councils (as with some private firms) writing sub contracts for service delivery knowing that the payment method will cause unethical behaviour but not caring.

Its actually about not caring about unethical behaviour. Isn't it time Britain readopted its core values?

Why the **** can't we have a traffic warden do a decent job around here? Our pavement is blocked on a near-permanent basis, leaving folks with limited mobility, like Mrs B with arthritis, walking slowly on two sticks, imprisoned at home - 'cos she'd be in trouble if she tried to walk round them on the (narrow) road.

These self-centred scum should be fined something realistic. The measure of success for a warden should be that our pavement, and others like it, is clear for the people who need it.

This isn't new. When I worked in London 15 y ago the traffic wardens were on an incentive scheme (in Westminster) so they developed ways of booking the largest number of people for the least work.

As the parking meters were free after 6pm the wardens would arrive by the minibus load at around 5pm knowing a lot of people would let the meter time expire rather than pay for after 6 so they could make up the numbers in the last hour of the day without too much walking about or talking to tourists or drivers which earned them nothing.

I don't know what they did the rest of the day. Perhaps they overlapped shifts at 5-6 but there were always vast numbers around then.

The danger of riding roughshod over the Bill of Rights. If an offence was committed, it should be tried. Civil penalties are evil.

Runnymede and the Bill of Rights addressed this. Same old......

p-o-p