House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Starting Cashing In My Equity Isas Today...

6 months ago my equity ISAs were all well down.

They are all just about back to breaking even now.

I started the process of cashing them in yesterday. Which it turns out varies in it simplicity. Some people want it in writing some people down.

Maybe the FTSE will just keep going up, something has to, maybe i'm making a mistake.

I have a funny feeling the FTSE feel good factor isnt going to last...

I started the process of cashing them in yesterday. Which it turns out varies in it simplicity. Some people want it in writing some people down.

Maybe the FTSE will just keep going up, something has to, maybe i'm making a mistake.

I sold out most of my portfolio last week. Still think this run has got legs , but also think the stakes are getting too high.

Still holding a few long termers, but for now I'm mostly in cash. Keep an eye on it over the next few months.

within the same ISA you may be able to invest in a cash or bond fund - why totally cash in?

100% cash

let the fun commence

ive no doubt these markets are being manipulated to give us one hell of a dump = pile into government bonds.

one problem this will at some point backfire big time

Do you know of any good ones?

This is not investment advice blah blah blah, but

The Invesco Perpetual Income Fund and the Fidelity Moneybuilder Income fund are two of the best corporate bond funds out there.

Also, a good tip, if you put all your ISAs into a fund that is covered by Fidelity Funds Supermarket then you can manage them all online and transfer between hundreds of funds instantaneously.

This is not investment advice blah blah blah, but

The Invesco Perpetual Income Fund and the Fidelity Moneybuilder Income fund are two of the best corporate bond funds out there.

Also, a good tip, if you put all your ISAs into a fund that is covered by Fidelity Funds Supermarket then you can manage them all online and transfer between hundreds of funds instantaneously.

Thanks Charterhouse, I'll do some research on them.

They seem to be to be equity trackers?

Nah, you must have the wrong ones, let me find them.

http://www.trustnet.com/Factsheets/Factshe...PPPB&univ=U

http://www.trustnet.com/Factsheets/Factshe...IMYI&univ=U

You can see their recent outperformance on the little graphs.

And holding them all within one provider helps because a) you get one unified statement and B) you can easily move money out or around without sending letters to people which is very annoying imo.

Edited by Charterhouse

Nah, you must have the wrong ones, let me find them.

http://www.trustnet.com/Factsheets/Factshe...PPPB&univ=U

http://www.trustnet.com/Factsheets/Factshe...IMYI&univ=U

You can see their recent outperformance on the little graphs.

And holding them all within one provider helps because a) you get one unified statement and B) you can easily move money out or around without sending letters to people which is very annoying imo.

Thanks again, not what I managed to search out when I went looking. :rolleyes:

i am also fully cash from last week with just 70k left in unit trusts... the risks are getting high and i think the market is set up for a big unwind. When?

Maybe a stupid question but don`t you become liable for tax when the ISA cash is removed from its "envelope" ... so to speak ? .

But you'll miss the last boat, heading to da moon! You lot will be priced out forever !

This is the last chance to buy BP. shares - they'll be £15 by Christmas!!

:lol:

Maybe a stupid question but don`t you become liable for tax when the ISA cash is removed from its "envelope" ... so to speak ? .

If you remove the cash from ISAs, invest it again outside the ISA, then make money, then yes. But your profits from within the ISA are never taxable.

within the same ISA you may be able to invest in a cash or bond fund - why totally cash in?

Ive already got my full compliment of cash ISAs so the only place to move them to were another stocks and shared based ISA.

I've been buying stocks and shares ISAs for years and to be honest, none of them have done very well. Overal;, even with the tax i'd have better just putting it in the bank.

One of the blokes I spoke to when cancelling one said the same thing, I replied that this was only true if they made a profit but since I was paying for them to loose me money I thougth id was time I had it all back.

I was half expecting a few people to post comments like "are you mad"..."the FTSE is only going to go up" etc....but no one has....that fact speaks volumes.

Well, you're very welcome to put them in whatever you like, and I can see the wisdom in taking equity risk off the table after a frankly surprising bear market rally, but I would honestly strongly caution against removing them from the tax free wrapper that an ISA provides. I would honestly take a look at the Fidelity Fund Supermarket and see if there are any more conservative funds there that suit you - the two corporate bond funds that I posted earlier are going to be solid 5% per year returners for the forseeable future if you can't find a better option.

i am also fully cash from last week with just 70k left in unit trusts... the risks are getting high and i think the market is set up for a big unwind. When?

Nice to see all those young hard press first time buyers posting on here. :lol:

Well, you're very welcome to put them in whatever you like, and I can see the wisdom in taking equity risk off the table after a frankly surprising bear market rally, but I would honestly strongly caution against removing them from the tax free wrapper that an ISA provides. I would honestly take a look at the Fidelity Fund Supermarket and see if there are any more conservative funds there that suit you - the two corporate bond funds that I posted earlier are going to be solid 5% per year returners for the forseeable future if you can't find a better option.

Thanks for the pointer, Ill have a look into that before removing any more. Have you got a link to the bonds you mention ?

I definitely get the feeling the FTSE bounce is built on the mythical green shoots, people are realising it was a myth and as the unemplyment snowball grows and comparisons grow with the great depression sentiment might easily turn.

Also, all those unemployed people with a bit of cash tucked up in shares, might well be selling soon....

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

So don't you have an ISA limit per year of like 7K and you can invest another 7K per year? Does that mean if you have ten years worth of ISA's and you cash them all in, then you can only put seven back into an ISA, which is a tax free wrapper?

Ive already got my full compliment of cash ISAs so the only place to move them to were another stocks and shared based ISA.

incorrect, funds ISAs (I think under the same umbrella as stocks and shares ISA) can also take cash-like or bond-funds within their wrapper, as discussed above in this thread

So don't you have an ISA limit per year of like 7K and you can invest another 7K per year? Does that mean if you have ten years worth of ISA's and you cash them all in, then you can only put seven back into an ISA, which is a tax free wrapper?

You can transfer them from provider to provider and not lose ANY of the tax advantages.