House Price Crash Forum

Norwich Has Spoken

muggle

HOLA441
Labour Concedes Defeat In Norwich

Sky sources say Labour has conceded defeat in the Norwich North by-election, the first since the MPs' expenses scandal.

A party insider said: "The Conservatives are trying to play down what is happening but I think the reality is that Labour is in a fight with the Lib Dems for second place.

Source

Cheered me up!

Edited - to add source

HOLA442
HOLA443

Just out of interest, here's the figures from the 2005 GE. (Again, this is not today's result)

Labour - Ian Gibson - 21,097 44.9%

Conservative - James Tumbridge - 15,638 33.2%

Liberal Democrat - Robin Whitmore - 7,616 16.2%

Green - Adrian Holmes - 1,252 2.7%

UK Independence - John Youles - 1,122 2.4%

Independent - Bill Holden - 308 0.7%

If Labour don't manage to beat the LibDems in this, well, that's absolute massacre territory.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Gordon Brown will hold a victory celebration whatever the result is!

"We must focus on the task ahead, we are the only party capable of steering the country safely through these difficult times etc."

HOLA446
HOLA447

Interesting that the tories seem to be trying to play it down - I think that they know Gordon has quite limited power right now, so

(1) with Darling (who is by no means the nasty person Brown is) stays in number 11 then further economic damage should be limited

(2) as things stand tories will win the next election anyway

(3) if the tories attack labour over this defeat then they may force another reshuffle which would enable GB to put Balls in number 11 instead and REALLY screw the economy to buy the next election

and

(4) besides, the tories know that the damage has been inflicted on labour wrt: expenses, and they don't want to risk it coming back at them too much

HOLA448
Gordon Brown will hold a victory celebration whatever the result is!

"We must focus on the task ahead, we are the only party capable of steering the country safely through these difficult times etc."

'losing and coming third simply reaffirms that people want me to get on with the job'

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Disagree - the people are finally waking up.

We have all been conned.

There was no miracle, only rapid debt expansion.

Very much on topic.

yes, slowly but surely waking up to it, they will kick out brown and then the economy running its sickly course will worsen under cameron and the labourites will say cameron did it, if i were cameron i'd try to lose the next election! :lol:

HOLA4412
yes, slowly but surely waking up to it, they will kick out brown and then the economy running its sickly course will worsen under cameron and the labourites will say cameron did it, if i were cameron i'd try to lose the next election! :lol:

that's what frightens me. people really are stoopid

HOLA4413
Disagree - the people are finally waking up.

We have all been conned.

There was no miracle, only rapid debt expansion.

Very much on topic.

The miracle is that people were taken in by the myth of Brown's economic mastery. Thanks very much (sarcasm) to the media for reporting his lies Goebbels-style for over a decade.

Hopefully history will see that he was the worst chancellor since Lloyd George and the worst PM since Edward the Traitor Heath.

PS I must make the effort one day to piss on Ted Heath's grave.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I'm nursing a semi in anticipation or reading the results on Auntie Pravda!!!!

Auntie Pravda has already been busily spinning, emphasising (i) the low turnout, especially in Labour stronghold wards, and (ii) the reason for the defeat being purely expenses and purely local (i.e. Gibson's local popularity), and nothing to do with Labour's record in running the country.

Norwich being Norwich, and with the troughing antecedants, it was kind of inevitable that they would be requiring Gordo and his lackeys to get down on their knees and squeal like a pig.

But when those Norfolk chaps rose up against the government in the past, they ended up regretting it ... and again ...

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Auntie Pravda has already been busily spinning, emphasising (i) the low turnout, especially in Labour stronghold wards, and (ii) the reason for the defeat being purely expenses and purely local (i.e. Gibson's local popularity), and nothing to do with Labour's record in running the country.

But when those Norfolk chaps rose up against the government in the past, they ended up regretting it ... and again ...

It doesn't tell you on Wikki page but because these people stood up to the 'landed' gentry(& gave up their lives for the common good!) who stole the land off the people to put them under Tithe - Gentry/Royalty shat themselves and changed some of the laws of the land.

Same reason for change in 20th century.

Two periods of war, massive trained/semi armed force in UK - rich started equalising the share out of wealth in 1920's, council housing for returning forces and brought in free NHS services.

'They' are going back to their 'old' ways for the last few decades.

This is thru drugging/doping/brainwashing you to reality. It's exactly how they took over China and elswhere through East India Company!

(Remember the Yanks(British) used to give the indigenous Injins 'Firewater' then blow them away when they got out of their heads - same thing!)

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

...and Auntie spinning like a windmill on acid.

World at One gist: if Gibson had stood as an independent he'd easily have won, it's a sigh of relief for the Tories and not that bad for Labour (stressed that the swing was not an uncommon one at by-elections, including ones Labour lost in the year leading up to the '97 election).

HOLA4422

World at One gist: if Gibson had stood as an independent he'd easily have won, it's a sigh of relief for the Tories and not that bad for Labour (stressed that the swing was not an uncommon one at by-elections, including ones Labour lost in the year leading up to the '97 election).

UK by-elections.

Labour didn't lose any by-elections during the '92-'97 parliament, and only lost one in the parliament prior to that.

HOLA4423

Gibson was a very popular MP.Virtually everyone in the Norwich Labour Party refused to help the campaign.I think he would at least have gained a better vote than Labour.He might have won even.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Every sad loser in the UK scapegoats the government and not surprisingly they lose a by election.

The hopeless idiot Tories will win the general election and the economy will continue to go straight down the sh1tter.

Time to look out for yourselves and not worry which bunch of self-important thieves win the right to big consultancy contracts and speaking opportunities at 2 grand a pop. No-one in UK politics has a clue what to do next and the Brown/Cameron approach is the same in all but name.

Archived