House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blankster

New Road Pricing Proposals

So another report has come out saying that vehicle excise duty should be reduced and people should be charged by how far they drive by some sort of road pricing, because it's 'fairer'.

The simplest and fairest way to reform revenue from private motorists would be to increase fuel duty because that would encourage people to drive more economical cars. And if Mr. Big I Am still wants to drive round in a V8 Petrol-engined Range Rover, well, at least he's contributing a lot to the public purse. A system of rebates for operarators of lorries and buses would be necessary.

I know people will say that motorists pay enough already, which is true in my opinion. But if they are proposing to reform the system, then extra fuel duty replacing VED is the simplest and fairest way.

Hang on, didn't the gov do a u-turn on this 2 years back and said road pricing wouldn't go ahead (unless the public wanted it) due to massive pressure against road pricing (2 million people signing an on-line petition). Is this another uturn?

Yes, but this was a report that got prominence on the news today - not sure if it was one commissioned by govt. or not.

Smoke and mirrors to complicate the issue so that the plebs cannot track the escalating taxes on motoring.

Tax up, but cost of collecting will rise faster as armies of civil servants administrate the robbery.

So everyone (bar the public sector loses). Business as usual for dirtbox Brown.

So another report has come out saying that vehicle excise duty should be reduced and people should be charged by how far they drive by some sort of road pricing, because it's 'fairer'.

The simplest and fairest way to reform revenue from private motorists would be to increase fuel duty because that would encourage people to drive more economical cars.

it would also cut down the ridiculous amount of man-hours issuing VED expiry paperwork,penalty chages,legal proceedings,fine collection and subsequent form filling by all respective parties.

has anyone wondered how much all this lot costs?I bet it's a fortune......and excise duty probably just about covers the cost of this if you think how many people are employed in the chain.

Still,you can bet on the govenment to find an equally complex and convoluted replacement....they don't do simple.

It is labours way of employing more state workers via stealth.

Think about tracking 30m cars 24/7 and all the administration that will require.

I think your looking at a minimum of 30k non-job workers to work that system.

We already have a pay as you go system in the duty on fuel.

If they want to get rid of VED then just up fuel duty and scrap VED.

I think your looking at about 10p on fuel to replace VED.

it would also cut down the ridiculous amount of man-hours issuing VED expiry paperwork,penalty chages,legal proceedings,fine collection and subsequent form filling by all respective parties.

has anyone wondered how much all this lot costs?I bet it's a fortune......and excise duty probably just about covers the cost of this if you think how many people are employed in the chain.

Still,you can bet on the govenment to find an equally complex and convoluted replacement....they don't do simple.

Indeed, each worker costs in the region of £50k once you take into account other costs like the building they work in etc.

What is VED? £150 a car? So it takes about 350 cars just to pay for each make job and there will be thousands if not tens of thousands of these pretend jobs.

Just remove ved and add 8-10p to fuel, which roughly equals the current VED.

Would bring in more revenue as you can scrap the tens of thousands of non jobs.

road pricing is one of the worst ideas the government has ever had

if they bring in a new tax system you can bet you will end up paying more for it

If vehicle tax was shifted to fuel, then proof of road legality could be by means of an MOT disc and Insurance disc, both with scannable barcodes. New cars could be supplied with an 'exempt' diisc with an expiry date to cover the 3 years until the first MOT test is due.

Surely, the core point here is that motorists are already paying - through the nose - for what they are not receiving: halfway decent roads!

Another thing I love about France: I can opt for the quick route and pay peage fees: or stick to the old RN roads and not pay: but go more slowly.

Remember also that the hidden objective is to demand all vehicles be fitted with a Black Box Transponder: which will calculate and automatically bill road users for distances travelled: which will vary according to time of day.

And possess the covert Government benefit of tracking where everyone has been and where they currently are.

Even if VED were to be scrapped, DVLA would still need to operate to register vehicles. And maintain that register and amendments.

The Fuel duty concept is purely a Red Herring to provide a talking and argument point: whilst the real hidden agenda is finalised.

Car Tax will bring in 4.4bn next year http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...missions-1.html So its not a meager amount.

The pay-as-you-drive is a red herring. They want to increase fuel / road tax quite significantly. They put this message where they want to introduce this new system, but it'll be an excuse to slip further tax hikes through, as the government is skint and they know that motorists are a "cash cow". They will say "Oh, we wont bring in the pay as you drive system, but will put up taxes". People will say thank gawd for that and will accept the tax rises. The government know that people will vehemently resist PAYD and they know its unworkable due to the cost.

Edit: fuel duty income has dropped quite significantly http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/story/Tax-...uty-hikes/50663 so I think there is something more than meets the eye here.

Edit: fuel duty income has dropped quite significantly http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/story/Tax-...uty-hikes/50663 so I think there is something more than meets the eye here.

The more they put a tax up the more people will stop doing what it is that is taxed, and hence reduce the money brought in by the tax.

10 years ago I used to love driving to other cities to have an explore and shop in different places. Now days it is just such a hassle with full roads, extortionate parking, high fuels costs that I just dont bother.

Its like the tv license, the more expensive it becomes the more I consider unplugging the aerial and just watching dvds.

Again, The Mash says it all:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society...s-200907241929/

ROAD TAX SPENT ON MOATS printButton.png emailButton.png var sbtitle=encodeURIComponent("ROAD TAX SPENT ON MOATS"); var sburl=decodeURI("http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/road-tax-spent-on-moats-200907241929/");var sburl=sburl.replace(/amp;/g, "");sburl=encodeURIComponent(sburl);MOTORING taxes may have been used to fund non-transport related expenditure such as great big moats, according to a new report.

basroad.jpg
Junction 12, near Toddington
A cross-party committee of MPs said that in recent years vehicle excise duty and congestion charges may some how have found their way into the big pot that is normally used for making their houses nicer.

Chairman Lousie Ellman said: "We could not actually find any evidence of motoring taxes being used to make the country's transport system any better. In fact it does now seem we may have spent it all on moats and tellies."

In recent years the government has increased car-related taxation with the promise that it would be ring-fenced and used to build a floating, hypersonic train that would stop outside your bedroom door.

But concerns were raised after some people noticed the existing rail system was now worse than that of 19th Century Burma, while much of the M1 looks like those photos of the road to Basra at the end of 1991 Gulf War.

The department of transport insisted it had used some of the moat money for transport projects, including an electric hovercraft from Windermere to Ambleside and more than three million miles of breathtakingly pointless cycle lanes.

A spokesman said: "We even put a cycle lane around Douglas Hogg's moat so that his moat cleaner could cycle around the moat, skimming leaves off the surface without having to emit gas."

Bill McKay, a Volvo driver from Stevenage, said: "So road taxes are not used to make the roads better? I'm so glad you told me because that would never have occured to me in a billion ******ing years."

we (the motorist) already pay an aditional tax for how far we travel its called FUEL TAX which then has VAT added to it, which the Government keep raising every year, and when the price of oil rises (and drops) the %age of tax rises (and falls)

if they are going to introduce another "how far do you drive tax" then they will have to remove tax from faul and only charge VAT on it.

oh and when the government dropped VAT to 15% fuel (and some other things) were exempt from this drop

road pricing is one of the worst ideas the government has ever had

if they bring in a new tax system you can bet you will end up paying more for it

Any change in any tax usually means that you will end up paying more.

exactly

and any further rises in tax just means the flow of jobs offshore will increase due to the higher operating costs

in the longer term the govt will bring in less money by hiking these charges

I wouldnt mind so much if it was based on the provision of alternative transport, but it will likely be like London, where you will pay the same whether you live in a well served suburb or out in the sticks.

Any change in any tax usually means that you will end up paying more.

paying the same while costing less in admin and overheads sounds much nicer!

there's plenty of scope for efficiency.

just don't expect NuLabour to be smart enough to figure it out.......they dumbed down the education system to such an extent it's a bloody miracle anyone in the country has brains enough to suggest there are better ways of working.

(how dare you suggest such a proposal to the politburo...they are our omnipotent masters........you need re-education!!!)

independent thinking is now a criminal offence....you work for the greater good of the collective,remember!

I wouldnt mind so much if it was based on the provision of alternative transport, but it will likely be like London, where you will pay the same whether you live in a well served suburb or out in the sticks.

Fuel prices in the Highlands & Islands are truly astronomical & many are farmers / crofters that have thirsty Land Rovers. Any further rise in VED / duty will hurt them even more. As many settlements are so far out into the sticks, they don't have any access to public transport, so they have no other choice but to use the car. Moreover, you would see the price of food & goods in general being put up, as the hauliers have to recover their costs somehow. Those truckers that go over to the continent, fill up in France (such as in Calais) as their fuel is so much more affordable, so we lose revenue there.

Fuel prices in the Highlands & Islands are truly astronomical & many are farmers / crofters that have thirsty Land Rovers. ....

There and I thought they were supposed to be "canny" - or is that a racist stereotype?

Anyone with an IQ in double figures would buy a more economical vehicle.

There and I thought they were supposed to be "canny" - or is that a racist stereotype?

Anyone with an IQ in double figures would buy a more economical vehicle.

Would a farmer use a Toyota Prius to round up his sheep? If you live in a rural, hilly area, where many farmers are (like I do), then something like a Discovery or a Defender are the only practical methods of transportation available.

A Defender runs between 25 & 28 MPG so they aren't too bad. http://www.tiscali.co.uk/motoring/diesel/d...r-defender.html

A system of rebates for operarators of lorries and buses would be necessary.

As far as lorries are concerned, the operators will be able to reclaim all the VAT on fuel already, and the remainder of fuel cost will be tax deductible.

I hope any such rebate pleas from the road transport lobby would not be entertained.

As far as lorries are concerned, the operators will be able to reclaim all the VAT on fuel already, and the remainder of fuel cost will be tax deductible.

I hope any such rebate pleas from the road transport lobby would not be entertained.

Costs are Tax Deductable indeed: however this doesn't change their impact on the bottom line!

Such increases raise operating costs: and the operator has one of two choices: increase their charges: or take less profit.

And since many smaller haulage firms are already on the cusp of non-viability, being able to offset increased fuel costs is pretty cold comfort!

Would a farmer use a Toyota Prius to round up his sheep? If you live in a rural, hilly area, where many farmers are (like I do), then something like a Discovery or a Defender are the only practical methods of transportation available.

A Defender runs between 25 & 28 MPG so they aren't too bad. http://www.tiscali.co.uk/motoring/diesel/d...r-defender.html

well we still have a skillbase in hi performance engines through F1 and motorsport,so why don't we get some of their boffins on the case working on some more efficient engines for those thirsty land rovers.