House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MOP

Health-care Bill Now Stalled Until Fall, Less Likely To Pass

The intention was to get this bill through before the bad-news budget next month kills it. That plan is now out the window and it looks like the bill could be in serious trouble.

Obama: Health reform key to economic revival

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/07/22/o...care072209.html

Reid: No Senate health care vote until fall

WASHINGTON - Slow down, Senate Democrats told President Barack Obama on Thursday, dashing hopes of rushing his sweeping health care overhaul to a summertime vote and adding to the troubles the plan could face as the year wears on.

Obama has been pushing hard for quick passage of legislation he can sign to expand coverage to all Americans and control ruinous medical costs. And he's counting on fast action while his first-year popularity holds....................

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32104253/ns/po...cs-capitol_hill

I reckon the chance to pass the bill is now gone.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

No basic guaranteed universal healthcare?

******ing savages.

******ing savages.

Yup and they are so arrogantly proud of it too.

******ing savages.

Um, you do realise they already have that in 'Merka and have had it for decades? Medicaid, Medicare and anybody needing emergency treatment gets treatment even if they have no means to pay...Shit, have you even been to the States you twit? :angry:

Um, you do realise they already have that in 'Merka and have had it for decades? Medicaid, Medicare and anybody needing emergency treatment gets treatment even if they have no means to pay...Shit, have you even been to the States you twit? :angry:

Correct me if I am wrong. I understand they do treat you for emergency but then they'll send you a bill for a couple of hundred thousand dollars or so.

Correct me if I am wrong. I understand they do treat you for emergency but then they'll send you a bill for a couple of hundred thousand dollars or so.

Yup, and if you genuinely can't pay then they don't pursue it. If you can pay, then fvck you, pay up.

Oh, and as if the NHS is the ultimate in public healthcare systems! :lol:

Only if you are middle or lower middle class.

The poor and old get it free. The rich get huge amounts of insurance cover.

Its the stupidest system in the world. Did you know the American government also spends more money per capita on healthcare than any country in the world and STILL can't offer universal coverage. Bonkers!

Yup, and if you genuinely can't pay then they don't pursue it. If you can pay, then fvck you, pay up.

And genuinely not being able to pay means what? That you've been entirely asset stripped?

******ing savages.

"Gee buddy, sorry to hear about your cancer, but we gotta take the house to pay for the drugs."

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Only if you are middle or lower middle class.

The poor and old get it free. The rich get huge amounts of insurance cover.

Its the stupidest system in the world. Did you know the American government also spends more money per capita on healthcare than any country in the world and STILL can't offer universal coverage. Bonkers!

Punitive damages system, piecework pay for medical investigations.

If you are poor then you don't pay and they write it off (Comes from over inflated claims on everyone else)

If you are rich you get a big bill, which you can afford to pay.

If you are in the middle, then even if you have insurance you will have to make a 'co-payment', and go through a labyrinthine trail of insurance claims and counter-claims; if not fully insured you may easily end up bankrupt.

That's for emergency care, of course. For many non-emergency conditions, your only hope is uninsured is to wait till it becomes an emergency,

The NHS isn't perfect by any means, but as far as value for money goes it knocks the US system for 6. Plus, as a UK employer, you don't need to worry about health insurance for your employees (OK, mine apparently gives us health insurance, and I wish they wouldn't and just gave us the cash instead.)

It doesn't seem like a great bill anyway, America already spends too much on healthcare as it is. The system needs reorganising to become more efficient (and equitable along the lines of the NHS), not more money throwing at it. Not that we didn't overspend on the NHS in recent years, mind.