House Price Crash Forum

Restaurants - What Recession

HOLA441

My girlfriend and I couldn't be bothered cooking this week so we decided to eat out every night apart from Friday (driving home to glasgow). Basically had to phone around to find a restaurant with a reservation every night and they are all packed out with people.

Also.. can somebody explain to me why people say dominoes is doing well because people are looking for cheaper nights in and value? A standard dominoes pizza seems to be at least 10 quid. You can get a massive stonebake fresh pizza from asda for 3 quid ffs.

HOLA442
My girlfriend and I couldn't be bothered cooking this week so we decided to eat out every night apart from Friday (driving home to glasgow). Basically had to phone around to find a restaurant with a reservation every night and they are all packed out with people.

Also.. can somebody explain to me why people say dominoes is doing well because people are looking for cheaper nights in and value? A standard dominoes pizza seems to be at least 10 quid. You can get a massive stonebake fresh pizza from asda for 3 quid ffs.

So, what are you saying - recession over?

I doubt that you saw any of the recently unemployed eating out.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Domino's have always done well, their recent growth is down to new store openings. Personally I understand why people order Domino's and dont go out to the legions of new age Italian sh!t boxes. Paying to sit in a noisey room listening to the c0ck next door explaining to his party how much it costs to fill up the range rover sport. Id much rather pay 15 quid for a delivered pizza, at least then I can sit on my sofa in peace and watch air crash investigation without having every sense offended. ;)

I love how you think those stonebaked pizzas from asda are fresh..... next you'll be announcing that Dime Bars contribute to your 5 a day. :P

HOLA445

http://www.moneynews.co.uk/6216/credit-cru...-into-savings-/

A survey has found that nearly half of Brits have withdrawn money from their savings accounts to help them make up the shortfalls in their income during the credit crunch.

Fairinvestment.co.uk, which conducted the study, found that 18 per cent of the people it polled have already used up ten per cent of their savings since the credit crunch hit.

A further seven per cent said they had used up between 11 and 20 per cent of their total savings, while five per cent have had to use between 21 and 30 per cent and four per cent have used between 31 and 40 per cent.

Sharon Bratley, a chartered financial planner at Fairinvestment.co.uk, said: "It is hardly surprising that so many Brits have had to dip into their savings.

"The cost of living is going up and so is the number of job losses, leaving Brits vulnerable and dependent on backup like savings."

Also:

http://www.independent.ie/business/persona...ng-1770932.html

If what you are trying to imply is true, then it appears that people are dipping into their savings to maintain the standard of living that they have become accustomed to rather than cutting back. If this is the case, you could probably attribute much of it to the green shoots nonsense you keep hearing in the mainstream media, as our spending habits depend not just on our perception of how things are at present but also our perception of how things will be in the near future.

HOLA446
Domino's have always done well, their recent growth is down to new store openings. Personally I understand why people order Domino's and dont go out to the legions of new age Italian sh!t boxes. Paying to sit in a noisey room listening to the c0ck next door explaining to his party how much it costs to fill up the range rover sport. Id much rather pay 15 quid for a delivered pizza, at least then I can sit on my sofa in peace and watch air crash investigation without having every sense offended. ;)

I love how you think those stonebaked pizzas from asda are fresh..... next you'll be announcing that Dime Bars contribute to your 5 a day. :P

Domino's bases are made in an off-site factory and delivered to the franchises.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest theboltonfury
So every moron with a tracker is out wasting their temporary windfall?

Read THIS POST on the Gilts Thread and study it very, very carefully.

Which one in particular?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I work with restaurants - the bottom end of the market is doing fine. Otherwise it's very tough indeed at the moment.

HOLA4415

Recent Evening Standard article about Gordon Ramsay's flagship 3-Michelin Star restaurant

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifestyle/ar...chef/article.do

"....A quick ringaround secures tables at six dining rooms over the following few days, including his previously unattainable eponymous flagship on Royal Hospital Road......."

In boomier times it was at least a 2 month wait for a table.

Recession still on. Nothing to see here........... ;)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

a lot of take aways and restaurants use pre-packaged ready meal type products and/or add monosodium glutamate (available at their local friendly cash & carry in bags that look like sugar or salt) and artificial colourings. yum yum

Papa John's is said to be the best pizza place, although i've never been as i steer clear of gluten, yeast etc.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

ASDA pizzas are just stodge. Obviously, you have never experienced eating a proper one.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
ASDA pizzas are just stodge. Obviously, you have never experienced eating a proper one.

Most ASDA food is just dirt.

It's cheap for a reason.

A ffriend of mine owns a few mid range chinese restaurants around Surrey. He's reporting a 15% drop in takings, but a 30% drop in customers since last year.

He's lucky in that he still operates at a good profit but doesn't expect an increase anytime soon.

Edited by pie-eater

HOLA4423

With people like you around, I'm not surprised.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425