House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DownsizingDiva

End Of "silly Season" - Eas Getting Desperate

After 3 months of having had virtually no contact from all the EAs I had registered with (for property to buy), in the last 3 days I have had a number of phone calls letting me know about properties which are for sale, asking me if I would like to view.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Edited by DownsizingDiva

After 3 months of having had virtually no contact from all the EAs I had registered with (for property to buy), in the last 3 days I have had a number of phone calls letting me know about properties which are for sale, asking me if I would like to view.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes me too. Told them to come back when prices come down to sane levels. At least one EA wasn't too pleased with this new reality call. :lol:

Yes, EAs were finding it tough with no new properties coming onto the market. In my area (W Wales), a sudden surge of properties is hitting the market.

Not necessarily more stuff but the punted properties have been getting a lot better over the last few weeks. I actually felt I could possibly bear to live in the last two properties I viewed - that hadn't happened before. Still a way to go mind.

Not necessarily more stuff but the punted properties have been getting a lot better over the last few weeks. I actually felt I could possibly bear to live in the last two properties I viewed - that hadn't happened before. Still a way to go mind.

+1

i'm getting back under my rock until the new year. bad case of viewer's ribs...

Yes me too. Told them to come back when prices come down to sane levels. At least one EA wasn't too pleased with this new reality call. :lol:

That was my response. They all said "but now is a GREAT time to buy"...

Happened to me, three times this week

Having heard nowt for months, they're all phoning to punt places.

I get the feeling that they're waking up to another year with the same tired paces on their books, and the supply of buyers has dried up :)

The asking prices are back at 2007 levels over here :rolleyes:

Since we are going to move to Somerset in 2 years..we not viewing any more and after living in outer London..we will be able to buy our dream house in 2 years time in Somerset...

All the EAs around here can get lost now :P

Edited by Monopoly

I got blasted by 3 seperate flyers from Andrews yesterday.

Not heard from them in about 2 months.

All the sh1te they were sending me in May that they can't shift.

I had a call from one who contacts me fairly regularly today - he's polite with a lovely phone manner, I never mind hearing from him.

He told me about a pwoperdee that he first sent me the details of months ago & which has apparently just been given a wopping three and a half percent price cut, making it [assuming a return to 2004/2005 prices] around 35% overpriced rather than its previous 40%. I explained that the price, compared to past selling prices in the same street, meant that I wasn't interested, and he took this very well, agreing that a viewing probably wasn't appropriate, & saying that he would let me know the next time something similar came on the market.

Dealing with this guy was a completely painless experience, if only more EAs were like him.

Edited by the flying pig

Oh yes! I've noticed this in the last week too. I have had two agents call as the property that 'had sold' is now on the market again as the buyer's circumstances had changed. I asked what the purchase price was. I was then told that it didnt actually complete, so I said 'so it didn't sell then'. I was then told 'yes it did, but the circumstances have changed'. I asked if the asking price had changed. It hadn't. It is over my budget and I was asked if I could 'stretch a bit'. She didn't understand what I meant by waiting for the price to come to me. In my area (north Hampshire) I hadn't noticed any real falls at all and was beginning to get a bit disheartened. However, this week in itself has me totally convinced that there is only one way that this will go. I reckon a pinch of an interest rate rise, mixed with a sprinkling of unemployment and topped with just a sneeze of swine flu will help us all achieve what we are after (unless your name is Sibley, Hamish, etc.)

Actually I reckon it's estate agents making hay whilst the sun shines. It's completely out of whack here in Berkshire. Properties are being sold as fast as they ever were, Price rises on property bee for the first time in over a year and the highest proportion of SSTC for 18 months.

Still won't help when winter comes

I have noticed this too. Various calls even particulars for stuff I told them I didnt want to see. I had a call today from an Agent wishing to confirm the details they had on me was correct. So they asked me my name, address and .......phone number...... I asked who had called who to which there was a silence and then the penny dropped.

There are a couple of places I would view, but teo of them sold in 2007, and both on at 2007 asking. Now I know that the vendors are prob thinking they can get away ith 10% off asking price but for me thats nor good enough. Another cam on at one price, had a few enquiries that day so guess what, the vendir upped the asking price by 15K as they had interest. I week later not yet under offer.

So they are still sitting on the market and I am still siting typing this.

Property bee is showing up an increasing number of properties going SSTC and then coming back on the market. I'd be interested to know whether that is due to a lack of finance (in which case the market has probably bottomed if the Gov't can push financing out to the public via banks) or due to buyers deciding they had overpaid, in which case it's got a bit further to go potentially.

Property bee is showing up an increasing number of properties going SSTC and then coming back on the market. I'd be interested to know whether that is due to a lack of finance (in which case the market has probably bottomed if the Gov't can push financing out to the public via banks) or due to buyers deciding they had overpaid, in which case it's got a bit further to go potentially.

Problem assets still plague balance sheets. Banks can't keep them at inflated marks forever; they will have to puke them up when the next shoe drops.

Actually I reckon it's estate agents making hay whilst the sun shines. It's completely out of whack here in Berkshire. Properties are being sold as fast as they ever were, Price rises on property bee for the first time in over a year and the highest proportion of SSTC for 18 months.

High number SSTC isn't a sign of a good market, it's a sign of a bad market. It means chains are stuck, or no-one is able to get finance.

SSTC almost always reverts to "For Sale" after a peak.

The longer the buyer takes to find finance or sell and existing property, the harder it is to get a descent mortgage deal... or any mortgage for that matter.

Don't what sort of areas you lot live in, but in good parts of my city, houses are flying of the market within days. Asking prices have increased to 2007 levels, and lots of people are giving asking, or very close to it, and sometimes over. There is still a massive lack of supply of anything worth buying!

Obviously things can't stay like this for much longer than a few months, but the madness isn't over yet. I can't see slowing down until the new year.

The media has created a frenzy, and the sheeple are laping it up. Have a look at MSE and see how the attitude has changed. This is no longer a buyers market!

when on my travels with work i have seen loads of houses come on the market, then i have seen sold signs on, then all back to for sale. prices are coming down a little, but not anywhere near like they should, but it is looking better,

lenders are starting to value more realistically

so lets hope Ea's do get desperate and price them sensibly

Oh yes! I've noticed this in the last week too. I have had two agents call as the property that 'had sold' is now on the market again as the buyer's circumstances had changed. I asked what the purchase price was. I was then told that it didnt actually complete, so I said 'so it didn't sell then'. I was then told 'yes it did, but the circumstances have changed'. I asked if the asking price had changed. It hadn't. It is over my budget and I was asked if I could 'stretch a bit'. She didn't understand what I meant by waiting for the price to come to me. In my area (north Hampshire) I hadn't noticed any real falls at all and was beginning to get a bit disheartened. However, this week in itself has me totally convinced that there is only one way that this will go. I reckon a pinch of an interest rate rise, mixed with a sprinkling of unemployment and topped with just a sneeze of swine flu will help us all achieve what we are after (unless your name is Sibley, Hamish, etc.)

Its the sprinkling of QE that is worrying me

HPC Link

Don't what sort of areas you lot live in, but in good parts of my city, houses are flying of the market within days. Asking prices have increased to 2007 levels, and lots of people are giving asking, or very close to it, and sometimes over. There is still a massive lack of supply of anything worth buying!

Obviously things can't stay like this for much longer than a few months, but the madness isn't over yet. I can't see slowing down until the new year.

The media has created a frenzy, and the sheeple are laping it up. Have a look at MSE and see how the attitude has changed. This is no longer a buyers market!

Give us the postcodes where this is happening so that we can all watch these large numbers of properties flying off the shelves with propertybee.

The complete opposite to what you describe is happening in Worcester, Lichfield, Birmingham, Bromsgrove, Kidderminster, etc. in the West Midlands. June was a terrible month for Estate Agents and hopeful vendors - the number of properties going SSTC, per Estate Agency, fell back to 1 - 1.5 properties per week. In July there seem to be even less going SSTC and more becoming re-available. So the situation seems to be deteriorating even more and at a rapid pace here in the West Midlands. Estate Agents shot themselves in the foot (again!) during Mrch through to May when the activity did pick up (as elsewhere in the country), although remaining at historically very low levels, by pushing asking prices upwards again. This pushing upwards of asking prices has strangulated any recovery in transaction klevels and has ensured that the crash will be even worse over the next couple years.

Whilst asking prices were pushed upwards again during March through to May, sold prices did not rise. Estate Agents should have kept the pressure on vendors to keep cutting asking prices as transactions levels began to rise again during March through to May in order to keep the recovery in transactions levels going - instead Estate Agents have killed off the recovery in transaction levels through their greed and stupidity.

Edited by Alfie Moon

Give us the postcodes where this is happening so that we can all watch these large numbers of properties flying off the shelves with propertybee.

The complete opposite to what you describe is happening in Worcester, Lichfield, Birmingham, Bromsgrove, Kidderminster, etc. in the West Midlands. June was a terrible month for Estate Agents and hopeful vendors - the number of properties going SSTC, per Estate Agency, fell back to 1 - 1.5 properties per week. In July there seem to be even less going SSTC and more becoming re-available. So the situation seems to be deteriorating even more and at a rapid pace here in the West Midlands. Estate Agents shot themselves in the foot (again!) during Mrch through to May when the activity did pick up (as elsewhere in the country), although remaining at historically very low levels, by pushing asking prices upwards again. This pushing upwards of asking prices has strangulated any recovery in transaction klevels and has ensured that the crash will be even worse over the next couple years.

Whilst asking prices were pushed upwards again during March through to May, sold prices did not rise. Estate Agents should have kept the pressure on vendors to keep cutting asking prices as transactions levels began to rise again during March through to May in order to keep the recovery in transactions levels going - instead Estate Agents have killed off the recovery in transaction levels through their greed and stupidity.

I'm looking in CR8 and CR5 not the greatest area of greater london. Any worthwhile 3-4 bed house under £350K is under offer within a month and I dont really see much coming back on the market. Have not heard from an agent in months.

Anything that stays on the market is either on a main road, well over priced or in a poor area. Where I am the crash simply is not happening anymore. I still live in hope but am getting more downbeat by the month. if things do not change within the next few months then its game over as far as I'm concerned.

The reality is there is hardly anything on the market at the moment and whilst interest rates remain low I cant see this changing.

Alfie, down the road from you in Hereford, nothing is coming onto the market and anything decent is going under offer very quickly. Bizarre and depressing (especially to see the local estate agents so **** a hoop again!)

Alfie, down the road from you in Hereford, nothing is coming onto the market and anything decent is going under offer very quickly. Bizarre and depressing (especially to see the local estate agents so **** a hoop again!)

I have looked at Hereford - in June Knight Frank had 3 properties go SSTC, Brightwells had 4 properties go SSTC and Sunderland & Thompsons also had 3 properties go SSTC during the month of June .... no wonder they are **** a hoop again!!???

When did Williams Estate Agents go bust in Hereford or are they still struggliong to survive but can't afford to advertise on Rightmove? Williams gave up in Worcester and closed down their branch there a while ago.

Brightwells et al all deal with more upmarket properties - for "average" priced properties, have a look at Andrew Morris and Watkins and Thomas, both of whom seem to be selling everything they can get their hands on. Williams are still operating and do undertake a reasonable amount of advertising in the Hereford Times.

Brightwells et al all deal with more upmarket properties - for "average" priced properties, have a look at Andrew Morris and Watkins and Thomas, both of whom seem to be selling everything they can get their hands on. Williams are still operating and do undertake a reasonable amount of advertising in the Hereford Times.

Just had a look at Watkins and Thomas and thety managed to get 1 (one) property to go SSTC during the month of June. They also seem to be reducing the price of quite a number of the 55 properties on their book which is hardly consistent with - "selling everything they can get their hands on". Things look pretty dire for the Hereford property market.