House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SaintJay

Great British Beer Festival

over 435 proper beers, ciders and perrys (perries?) to drink.

or am I the only one that doesn't drink Fosters fizzy wee?

Is it CAMRA? And aren't there lots of CAMRA festivals up and down the country in the summer?

I like them, but I'm not going to the London one again as it's in Earls Court, which is probably the worst place to have a beer festival ever.

its great - you generally buy halves (you get a pint glass with pint, half and third marked on it so you don't look like a jessies walking round with little half pint glasses), the best pork crackling I've ever had (apart from of the roast I've cooked myself) and even won a t-shirt on the tombola.

Tip: don't ask for 'the driest cider you've got' - its really far too dry.

I've never had a bad time at a beer festival :lol: but London's is one that's never really appealed. Camra member here, favourite tipples being Robinson's Chocolate Tom and Badger's Golden Glory, but usually stick to Abbot or an IPA.

Guest theboltonfury
over 435 proper beers, ciders and perrys (perries?) to drink.

or am I the only one that doesn't drink Fosters fizzy wee?

Awesome stuff. There is nothing worse than that fizzy shit our pubs pass off as lager.

http://gbbf.camra.org.uk/home

went last year - was a great day out (got there for opening at 12pm - left about 12 pints later at 5.30pm)

Was that in an ambulance on its way to A&E after 12 pints of real ale in 5.5 hours?!

My own fave beer though is the local (to me) Kelham Island 'Pale Rider' - vastly better than fizzy crap from't pub.

Was that in an ambulance on its way to A&E after 12 pints of real ale in 5.5 hours?!

My own fave beer though is the local (to me) Kelham Island 'Pale Rider' - vastly better than fizzy crap from't pub.

in a taxi to the station - off to a house party after that (didn't drink much there, to be honest) - was probably 10 in that time - 2 were pints at the station afterwards. will - look at that kelham - haven't heard of it though. my favourites change all the time - Winter is HSD, Summer is Deuchars IPA or Summer Lightning.

I've never had a bad time at a beer festival :lol: but London's is one that's never really appealed. Camra member here, favourite tipples being Robinson's Chocolate Tom and Badger's Golden Glory, but usually stick to Abbot or an IPA.

For some reason, my wife who doesn't even like beer loves that stuff

4 x 4 different Badger ales crate for £15 at Costco last month :) less than £1 a bottle :):)

While I'm quite the beer monster, I have never liked any Badger's ale......

Bit of a dearth of good ales round these parts, one reason why I have started to make it myself!

2nd brew in the fermentor now. Should be in the keg by monday...

Was planning to and would love to go but I'm in Cornwall that week.

Went last year and it was great.

Been there twice, got the souvenir glasses to prove it :)

It's a bit different to most beer festivals: a mind-boggling selection of drinks, but a bit less 'soul' than most, due to the location.

Having said that, it's the only beer festival where I can remember seeing members of the Gentle Sex. In fact, my drinking buddy the first time round round tried his luck with 2 (good looking) jap girls. That would never happen in Ye Traditional Beer Fest. ;)

For some reason, my wife who doesn't even like beer loves that stuff (Golden Glory)

4 x 4 different Badger ales crate for £15 at Costco last month :) less than £1 a bottle :):)

Not really a fan of bottled ale. Seems to taste too chemically, even if it is bottle-conditioned.

Was planning to and would love to go but I'm in Cornwall that week.

Went last year and it was great.

Cornwal;, make sure you try St Austells Tribute. The best beer ever!

If you are in Boscastle try the Napoleon @ the top end of town. Great food (cheesy chips go down well with Tribute) & beer from wooden barrels not CO2'd metal kegs.

Guest Skinty

I've gone off beer from the UK in general because I find them too hoppy. I now only drink beer from the highlands of Scotland or Edinburgh (unless they put loads of hops in it). It's just personal taste, nothing else. I absolutely love peaty water and like my beer to have body. So while something like Old Thumper will tick almost all the boxes, I will still miss the taste of peat.

My faves are Dark Island, Golden Promise, An Teallach, Fraoch and Glencoe wild oat stout.

( I also like beers from southern Germany)

Not really a fan of bottled ale. Seems to taste too chemically, even if it is bottle-conditioned.

In a tin?

I've gone off beer from the UK in general because I find them too hoppy. I now only drink beer from the highlands of Scotland or Edinburgh (unless they put loads of hops in it). It's just personal taste, nothing else. I absolutely love peaty water and like my beer to have body. So while something like Old Thumper will tick almost all the boxes, I will still miss the taste of peat.

My faves are Dark Island, Golden Promise, An Teallach, Fraoch and Glencoe wild oat stout.

( I also like beers from southern Germany)

I'd like to try brewing a peated beer.... cant agree with you about the hops though. Harviestour's Bitter & Twisted is a fave of mine.

Cornwal;, make sure you try St Austells Tribute. The best beer ever!

If you are in Boscastle try the Napoleon @ the top end of town. Great food (cheesy chips go down well with Tribute) & beer from wooden barrels not CO2'd metal kegs.

nope - wrong. St Austell HSD is much better. Also known as High Speed Death.

nope - wrong. St Austell HSD is much better. Also known as High Speed Death.

Have to disagree on that one! There are quite a few good beers in Cornwall. Does very well for variety & taste considering the population size

Have to disagree on that one! There are quite a few good beers in Cornwall. Does very well for variety & taste considering the population size

tribute always had an odd funky taste. Narrowed my choice at the festival down to 43 beers I want to try. 14 pints if I go on 1/3rds - will do halves and see how far I get.