House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
richcrashman

Whats With The Dow Today?

Collective madness?

Something like that.

UPS via Gloomberg:

“We are cautious, frankly,†Chief Financial Officer Kurt Kuehn told analysts and investors today on a conference call. “We don’t have any confidence that either demand or activity is going to pick up substantially†in the next several months.

Domestic volume fell 4.6 percent in the second quarter, the worst results since the company’s 1999 initial public offering. The measure will probably decline at a “similar†pace in the current quarter, Kuehn said on the call.

International volume tumbled 5.5 percent, and won’t improve in the current quarter, he said. The company’s labor hours fell 7 percent and miles driven on delivery routes slid 5 percent, Kuehn said.

The number of hours its airplanes were operated declined 11 percent, saving 14 million gallons of fuel and contributing to a 54 percent drop in the company’s total fuel bill $539 million as oil prices collapsed from a year earlier.

Who needs consumers anyway?

Seems to me that there is a concerted effort on both sides of the Atlantic to draw in the savings of the likes of us - despite there being no signs of recovery, if anything all the signs are things are getting worse, the markets continue to rise mysteriously and also on low volumes of shares traders.

They destroyed savings rates hoping to get us all to kick-start the economies by jumping into shares but all it has done is make people save even more. Most appear to rather earn 0% on their savings as opposed to buying shares.

cosmic rays have affected the bits on the wire - 1 is now a 0 and 0 is now a 1

Edited by f00

cosmic rays have affected the bits on the wire - 1 is now a 0 and 0 is now a 1

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who dont. ;)

Opened well up and dragging the FTSE along.

Up 1.36% in no time?

Ford results??

Hmm, yeah the FTSE has gone mental...

There was some bad news but it wasn't as bad as expected, but worse than might have been expected if things were better.

There was some bad news but it wasn't as bad as expected, but worse than might have been expected if things were better.

The unemployment report was not good, realy expecting a negative response today but the 9000 mark was too tempting. According to the DOW with it being a forward looking advance free market pricing system the future is looking as bright as October 2003. I would say a pretty optimistic comparison give the next 5 years after Oct 2003 was likely to be the best 5 years in modern history. :lol:

The Goldman Sachs service engineer will be out shortly to fix the err.. stock market.

Bell-Fruit-Return-of-the-Ki.jpg

Edited by HostPaul TAFKA Rover2000

I think it's a macro-delusion thing. A lot of people really do think the pain is over, and starting a little mini-bubble in stockmarket optimism. I doubt this will last, it's just retard collective blind optimism.

My guess is today's movement is the result of the short term trading patterns, which are about the only way to make money in the current market.

The S & P 500 is more helpful than the Dow and it drew back from 1000 in October 2008. I suspect it will not substantially break the 1000 barrier now, if it does at all. I don't think the fundamentals are there and I expect to see the S & P at sub 700 levels in the next 12 months.

For the fun of it, my long picks on NYSE are TMO, DVA, LH, BAX, GIS and SJM.

But only on a near term time horizon off the back of a well judged entry point.

Oh, and I think the chances of me being right about this are about zip.

My guess is today's movement is the result of the short term trading patterns, which are about the only way to make money in the current market.

The S & P 500 is more helpful than the Dow and it drew back from 1000 in October 2008. I suspect it will not substantially break the 1000 barrier now, if it does at all. I don't think the fundamentals are there and I expect to see the S & P at sub 700 levels in the next 12 months.

For the fun of it, my long picks on NYSE are TMO, DVA, LH, BAX, GIS and SJM.

But only on a near term time horizon off the back of a well judged entry point.

Oh, and I think the chances of me being right about this are about zip.

Can anybody here accept a bottom of sorts has been touched?

Apropos of not very much; from Karl Denninger on the next 7 days of US treasury issuance:

Let's see if I can count this up....

70 day CMBs, $30 billion (tomorrow)

13 week Bills, $32 billion (July 27th)

26 week Bills, $31 billion (July 27th)

52 week Bills, $27 billion (July 28th)

2 year Notes, $42 billion (July 28th)

5 year Notes, $39 billion (July 29th)

7 year Notes, $28 billion (July 30th)

19 year, 6 month TIPS (reopened), $6 billion (July 27th)

That's two hundred thirty-five billion dollars over the next week!

Guess what - that which is impossible won't happen, and the stock market is now telling you that the impossible will become reality.

Time to go short?

Ed for link

Edited by yellerkat

Apropos of not very much; from Karl Denninger on the next 7 days of US treasury issuance:

Time to go short?

$235,000,000,000 in one week !!! :unsure:

That has to be a record breaker!

Typo

Edited by MOP

Guest Daddy Bear
Whats with the Dow today (over the last 3 months?)

Dash For Assets?