House Price Crash Forum
@contradevian

Banks 'approving More Mortgages'

Can't see this posted elsewhere..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8164611.stm

Mid afternoon headlines trumpeted this as "further signs of recovereh."

Mortgage approvals by the major banks increased to a 15-month high in June, according to the British Bankers' Association (BBA).

Some 35,235 mortgages were approved for house purchases in June, up from 31,919 the previous month, the BBA said.

Can't see this posted elsewhere..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8164611.stm

Mid afternoon headlines trumpeted this as "further signs of recovereh."

This is all bull. Nothing has improved our situation fundamentally. In fact, all the government money bonanza has done is guarantee even worse problems within the next 6 - 12 months. They will rinse and repeat until currency is worthless.

I think the BBC are so biased it's beyond a joke. They jump on any bit of news twist it so that all sounds rosey and hope that Joe public swallows it.

I think the BBC are so biased it's beyond a joke. They jump on any bit of news twist it so that all sounds rosey and hope that Joe public swallows it.

Bang on, I'm sure if you asked them they would say they have some responsibility to maintain a positive sentiment or some such garbage. They don't want a Japanese-type scenario because that would lead to less stealing through inflation which is against their philosophy of constant immorality.

Guest happy?

It's not biased to report the facts. There's a debate to be had about whether there's a benefit in increasing prices - why don't you contact them and challenge them - post the response on this thread.

Ive approved my wife to have sex with me tonight.

might not happen. i might get gazumped.

Its the editorial spin they put on the news.

These were the "headlines" not an in depth report. Will no doubt have to wait until six for that, or nine for the big guns like Peston (as they don't get up early :lol: )

All they needed to say was "banks report an increase in mortgage approvals" instead we get "further signs of recovereh as banks report an increase in mortgage approvals."

The first bit is opinion and superfluous. Well its all opinion and superfluous if you read the report in full.

Edited by HostPaul TAFKA Rover2000

These were the "headlines" not an in depth report. Will no doubt have to wait until six for that, or nine for the big guns like Peston (as they don't get up early :lol: )

All they needed to say was "banks report an increase in mortgage approvals" instead we get "further signs of recovereh as banks report an increase in mortgage approvals."

The first bit is opinion and superfluous. Well its all opinion and superfluous if you read the report in full.

they do that with aircraft.

AN AEROPLANE, carrying 300 passengers from Paris to London..."what, oh my god, whats happened"...was diverted due to fog at heathrow.

Guest happy?

Whether this constitutes bias is another thing entirely. Most journos aren't particularly financially literate they swim with the tide.

No serious journalist believes there's any strong evidence of an economic recovery - to me it's evidence of poor education rather than bias.

It's not biased to report the facts. There's a debate to be had about whether there's a benefit in increasing prices - why don't you contact them and challenge them - post the response on this thread.

It's not reporting the facts that bother me it's the way they always put a positive spin on everything, they have a tendency to ignore less positive news in my opinion.

It's not reporting the facts that bother me it's the way they always put a positive spin on everything, they have a tendency to ignore less positive news in my opinion.

The tend to be more careful with bad news, for example..

"A British soldier was killed in Afghanistan today, bringing the total to ....."

If they prefaced this with..

"Further signs that the Talaban is winning with the news that another british soldier was killed today ..."

Would doubtless jam the switchboards with complaints.

Edited by HostPaul TAFKA Rover2000

Guest happy?
The tend to be more careful with bad news, for example..

"A British soldier was killed in Afghanistan today, bringing the total to ....."

If they prefaced this with..

"Further signs that the Talaban is winning with the news that another british soldier was killed today ..."

Would doubtless jam the switchboards with complaints.

Where else in the media has the death of a British (or other NATO soldier) been reported as evidence that the Taliban are winning the war?

Where else in the media has the death of a British (or other NATO soldier) been reported as evidence that the Taliban are winning the war?

I didn't say they had. I was using it as example. Also one months increase in bank lending isn't a sign of recovery.

Where else in the media do they interfere with your belongings if they find you have television equipment in your house?

Guest happy?
I didn't say they had. I was using it as example. Also one months increase in bank lending isn't a sign of recovery.

You cited it as an example of "BBC bias" yet you cannot show any other mainstream media outlet who take this stance - it's not much of an argument is it?

You've asserted that the BBC is too positive in its coverage of events in Afghanistan but cannot provide evidence that anyone else is reporting news in the way you think the BBC should. Hmmm.

Guest happy?
Where else in the media do they interfere with your belongings if they find you have television equipment in your house?

You're obviously just very confused - remind me again, which part of the BBC is it that does this?

The BBC are effectively the same as car dealers selling a cut and shut. They will tell you anything to get you to buy it. When there are negative facts to report, the BBC are strangely silent. I wonder if this has anything to do with the editors, journalists and other staff having a massive vested interest in seeing prices remain high?

Edited by Von Moses

Another reason to not pay the license fee. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Another reason to not pay the license fee. :angry: :angry: :angry:

OK but according to channel 4 teletext the figures are 61% up on last year. I realise its from a very low base but that seems more than a seasonal bounce?

I still don't get it with the economy heading sown the shitter I'd have thought house prices would be in free fall, but there still seems to be plenty of pent up demand. Obviously joe public is not buying into the end of an era scenario.

If soeone else can out the 61% rise into context I'd be much obliged. But I;m looking for debate backed up by evidence not blind denials.

There is a lot of talk on this board about how many mortgage approvals are necessary to sustain the market. Are we getting to those levels if so will it be a short burst due to pent up demand? Or a sustained move?

Edited by Bazman

BBC presenter:

House prices rising = MASSIVE SMILE

House prices falling = MASSIVE FROWN

Anyone who thinks they are anything less than biased is the most naive **** I have ever known.

The only question is the reason behind this bias. Individuals or a higher power ? That is the only question to be answered.

This is all bull. Nothing has improved our situation fundamentally. In fact, all the government money bonanza has done is guarantee even worse problems within the next 6 - 12 months. They will rinse and repeat until currency is worthless.

The SkyNews>Business "UK DEBT Counter"

= £800,000,000,000.00

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Business