House Price Crash Forum

Should The Bank Of England Be Renamed 'bank Of Great Britain'?

HOLA441

The Bank of England is an institution that covers the whole of the UK, so should it be renamed the Bank of Britain, Bank of Great Britain or possibly the United Kingdom Bank. The bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland were commercial banks, although they issue their own notes. RBS and HBOS are now largely owned by the British public, so they are no longer Scottish. Having a whole-UK institution known as the Bank of England is divisive, and it should be renamed.

Edited by blankster

HOLA442
HOLA443
The Bank of England is an institution that covers the whole of the UK, so should it be renamed the Bank of Britain, Bank of Great Britain or possibly the United Kingdom Bank.

To be inclusive it would have to be the Bank of the United Kindom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The pound sterling is also the currency of the UK's Crown dependencies (the Isle of Man and the Channel Isles) and the British Overseas Territories.

Edited by CrashConnoisseur

HOLA444
The Bank of England is an institution that covers the whole of the UK, so should it be renamed the Bank of Britain, Bank of Great Britain or possibly the United Kingdom Bank. The bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland were commercial banks, although they issue their own notes. RBS and HBOS are now largely owned by the British public, so they are no longer Scottish. Having a whole-UK institution known as the Bank of England is divisive, and it should be renamed.

How about just Bank Of Britain.... Bob... Nice and friendly eh?

I'd also disagree that HBOS and RBS are Scottish banks... there is no such thing as a Scottish Bank and never has been since oh say 1707....

Who issues the license for a bank to operate?

Who controls the regulatory framework the banks conform to?

HOLA445
The pound sterling is also the currency of the UK's Crown dependencies (the Isle of Man and the Channel Isles) and the British Overseas Territories.
Yes, but is it the same pound sterling? I thought the IoM and the Channel Islands had their own exchequers and technically the currencies are not legal tender here and vice versa even though the exchange rate is 1:1.

I agree that the to be fully inclusive, it would have to be the Bank of the United Kingdom.

I'd also disagree that HBOS and RBS are Scottish banks... there is no such thing as a Scottish Bank and never has been since oh say 1707....
RBS and BoS were Scottish commercial banks with headquarters in Scotland and operating mainly in Scotland until the big mergers of a few years ago. So I'd say they were Scottish. But they're not Scottish any more! Edited by blankster

HOLA446
HOLA447
No, we should keep it as the BoE and stop giving money to NI, Wales, and Scotland

:ph34r:

Fine - we'll stop sending down our oil and gas to heat your homes and power your factories, we'll stop sending down our electrical surplus from hydro and wind to light your homes. We'll stop piping down fresh water to alleviate your droughts caused by overpopulation.

Oh and we'll stop send our sons and daughters down to die in your ******ing stupid wars...

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Fine - we'll stop sending down our oil and gas to heat your homes and power your factories, we'll stop sending down our electrical surplus from hydro and wind to light your homes. We'll stop piping down fresh water to alleviate your droughts caused by overpopulation.

Oh and we'll stop send our sons and daughters down to die in your ******ing stupid wars...

Now that is interesting. Whose wars? The English don't have an identity any more. Its fine to be scottish, its fine to be welsh but if you dare state your Englishness you are branded a racist by the politically (or should it be economically) correct elite of London. Try flying the flag of St George! I don't believe that the wars belong to the English at all. I believe that they belong to the city state of London, where money and power are so interconnected that the whole idea of England has been sold down the river in the cause of corporate kowtowing to the international financial system. Fine. Same as it ever was. The New British Empire takes and then cedes what it doesn't own and doesn't even understand for its strategic advantage in matters of commerce - in the old days it was other people's countries, but in these shunken times there is not much left so now all that can be given away is the English identity (Welcome everyone, live as you want, and don't bother to integrate in anyway at all unless you really want to, because we have no values other than to make sure that where-ever you come from your leaders in politics and commerce like us, and in anycase, we want to keep you in your place as underpaid cleaners and carers, and just to make sure, where-ever you live the schools will be rubbish as well).

In the play the characters are taken by:

King John - Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, Dave Cameron?

King John's men - all those strategic people that infest London, along with allies in 'The City'

The Sherrif of Nottingham - Any mayor in any borough

The Sherrif's men - all of those strategic people that infest the borough's

Robin Hood - dead, there is no Robin

Maid Marion (the role model for all sweet feisty girls) - Jordan, AKA Katie Price

Little John - newly arisen as the interfaith leaders against ursury (oh dear, integration - need a quick arrow)

The peasants - the rest of us (both indigenous and immigrant)

Richard the Lionheart - a myth

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

The constitutional position is messy, isn't it? The BoE sets the interest rate for Sterling and the UK government controls UK-wide fiscal policy (which also has a direct bearing on the value of the currency), but a number of other banks can autonomously print Sterling notes, i.e. those in Scotland, NI, IoM, St. Helena, Falklands etc.

If you were to have a central 'Bank of UK and dependencies', IMO you would need to clear that anomaly up, i.e. make that bank the one and only institution allowed to issue the currency.

HOLA4416
The constitutional position is messy, isn't it? The BoE sets the interest rate for Sterling and the UK government controls UK-wide fiscal policy (which also has a direct bearing on the value of the currency), but a number of other banks can autonomously print Sterling notes, i.e. those in Scotland, NI, IoM, St. Helena, Falklands etc.

If you were to have a central 'Bank of UK and dependencies', IMO you would need to clear that anomaly up, i.e. make that bank the one and only institution allowed to issue the currency.

I thought the BoE was owned by a private Dutch company? That would make it even messier in terms of British soveriegnty?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Nah, keep it as the Bank of England. It will be soon, after all. We'll write off the debts of the Scottish banks as a goodbye-and-good-riddance present to the Scots who can then go and form an economic union with Iceland.

The Scots have been whinging for so long that the English and Welsh are now only too eager to call their bluff. Go on then. **** off. Take what's left of your oil too; you'll be fighting amongst yourselves over it before the ink's dry on the treaty of independence.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422