House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrashedOutAndBurned

Police To Enter Homes And Seize Protest Banners

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...ters-Games.html

Police have been handed 'Chinese-style' powers to enter private homes and seize political posters during the London 2012 Olympics.

Little-noticed measures passed by the Government will allow officers and Olympics officials to enter homes and shops near official venues to confiscate any protest material.

Breaking the rules could land offenders with a fine of up to £20,000.

Civil liberties groups compared the powers to those used by the Communist Chinese government to stop political protest during the 2008 Beijing Games.

Just in case anyone was still unsure about whther we are marching towards a full-on police state...

I should point out that labour wont be in power after 2010, and im sure the tories will be keen to distance themselves from control freak behaviour.

Yeah, like Obama was going to bring the troops home. They're all the same.

Guest skullingtonjoe

Just in case anyone was still unsure about whther we are marching towards a full-on police state...

Never doubted it for a moment, really. Only a matter of time before police cars are replaced by machine-gun equipped armoured personnel carriers.

Democracy has been gang-raped and there`s nothing we can do about it! :( :angry:

Guest anorthosite
Democracy has been gang-raped and there`s nothing we can do about it! :( :angry:

There's always something you can do about it. It just a question of the price you're willing to pay.

Guest skullingtonjoe
There's always something you can do about it. It just a question of the price you're willing to pay.

If you mean, (1) am I willing to die - the answer is `no`. If you mean, am I willing that (2) other people (ie the police) should die, the answer is `yes`. ;) So how to achieve (2) without achieving (1) (if at all possible?)

I suppose leaving home-made explosive devices near police stations might help. Although not all coppers are evil bastards (just most of them) - so that kind of direct action isn`t really justifiable. There must be an easier way to sort the wheat from the chaff. :rolleyes:

Guest skullingtonjoe
When it gets to that point its called war. There has NEVER been a way of just getting rid of the bad ones amongst ones enemies.

I know, it`s an impossible situation really. :(

I have just had a gutful of the old bill - they seem to be focused on not solving crime, and turning the victim into the criminal seems to be an increasingly popular tactic. One very worrying trend that I have noticed is that the police will not intervene until something really serious kicks off and by then it is too late. Their attitude sucks too.

Thank God they don`t carry guns. :rolleyes:

Thank God they don`t carry guns.

Increasing numbers do, sadly.

You've linked to the article.

But why doesn't the article link to source for this assertion:

Little-noticed measures passed by the Government will allow officers and Olympics officials to enter homes and shops near official venues to confiscate any protest material.

Breaking the rules could land offenders with a fine of up to £20,000.

I remain unconvinced.

Guest skullingtonjoe

I remain unconvinced.

Absolutely.

The only problem is that the police behave in such a way now that almost any story about them carries a certain amount of credibility (`guilty until proven innocent`, as it were). :( Even if the story is proven to be wrong, the suspicion will linger in the public`s opinion.

I remain unconvinced.

Its being made up, no doubt as it is reported in the paper of the Far-Right, knuckledragging fraternity?

Here it is in the Far-Left, multicult loving Guardian..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jul/21/o...civil-liberties

All a conspiracy no doubt.

I know, it`s an impossible situation really. :(

I have just had a gutful of the old bill - they seem to be focused on not solving crime,

that is really unfair on the police.

most of them are utterly oblivious to what is going on,much the same as the brownshirts were last time around.

following orders is not an excuse...but they do need to be aware of what's going on..

the net helps.

My grandparents fought trying to defend us from this filth.(I have my grandad's defence medal to prove it)

PLEASE WAKE UP!!!

That is really unfair on the police.

What they are being tasked with in 2012 may well be. It doesn't look as if we have the manpower or resources. Boris Johnson is talking about 10,000 'volunteer policeman' . . . WTF?

It will be a big security operation, like the G20. Will everyone get kettled into E15 for the day? The mind boggles. But who will do it? Obvously not the military, since we have only 125 boys to send to Afghanistan to replace the 187 who have died, according to today's Telegraph.

This blogger discusses the issue. He also suggests that Olympic security will cost 7.5bn, which we don't have either.

So, all in all, perhaps nothing to worry about?