House Price Crash Forum
Tim Miller

Where Do I Put My Money?

I am about to cash in, WTF do I do with the funds? All I read is bad news, I think the UK is fecked, I live abroad anyway. I was going to buy on the south coast but think UK property has much further to fall. I thought about the Canaries, but it's the same thing, I just got a very bad feeling the whole situation will take a second big knock. Over the last two days my bottle has gone, I am now fearful of the future. I can rent for now. Where does one put your wealth? Gold, Euro, Dollar, UK pound (only kidding) bonds, gilts or you tell me, because I honestly do not have a clue anymore!

Is it yellowy?

Tempting, very tempting!

If you're reduced to asking the members of a forum on which I post from time to time, I reckon up your Gary is your best bet.

Included in the numbers posting here are some very switched on guys and girls, so I want them to tell me where the smart money is going!

No, it's brown (and flat).

Farm, brown field? But why?

You can't eat gold.

So farm land then, with or without the farm building?

So farm land then, with or without the farm building?

Either. You don't need planning permission to put up a temporary dwelling.

There's a lot of leeway around what constitutes a temporary dwelling.

IfyerknowharrImean......

more to the point, which crops?

If the situation isn't too bad, the land is primarily a store of value.

If it gets to the point where you actually have to use it (nightmare - hard work), you put in a selection of crops, according to organic principles (much higher yields than intensive farming, btw) that provide basic sustainance to you and your family (can do this in way less than an acre), and sell/trade the rest.

• Liquidate all financial assets, assets held on margin and bank accounts of any kind in any currency, any bank, anywhere.
  • Put the first part of proceedings towards stockpiling essentials for you and your family. You'll need them.
  • Only keep the bare minimum in GBP and don't keep it in a bank.
  • Put the rest of the proceedings in bu11ion, either in your immediate physical possession or in allocated, segregated and insured storage in a safe jurisdiction (the UK is not safe for this purpose, nor is any service provided by UK or US companies).

Should add that we're nowhere near bottom for ag land, so again it's "squeaky bum" time for how long you want to hold out.

Land is real wealth though. That's what the neoclassical economists always try to hide.

Actually, it's what neoclassical economics was designed to hide.

You can't eat gold.

You can't eat cash either, but it seems to work pretty well in a modern multi-threaded economy. My point being that short of total apocalypse having your own farm isn't worth it. We live in modern world with all manner of goods and services people wish to exchange. Hence a medium of exchange that is universally trusted is the order of the day, traders demand it, barter is so last millennia. If the current means of exchange, FIAT, starts to fail (as it always does and is now happening with modern western currencies), people will look elsewhere for another more trusted means...

Enter stage right: gold and silver. The only currencies that have stood the test of time. Tell me this, do you think there is a person in this world who hasn't heard of these two metals and doesn't understand their value?

Leave farming to the farmers, get yourself a decent currency is what I say, even if you have to trade it on the black market when the time comes to stop the evil government getting their hands on it.

Edited by General Congreve

Tim, if I were you I'd put at least 20% of your cash in physical gold, that's bullion coins and bars, like krugerrands and gold bars from Baird & Co. In the current climate that should be the minimum in your portfolio to be safe. Personally I am 45% gold and 5% silver with my liquid assets, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

Currently gold in sterling terms is about the cheapest it's been all year I think, so now might be a good time to start building a little collection. Get yourself a fireproof cash box (about 25 quid) and hide it somewhere secret where no one's going to find it, don't put it in a safety deposit box, the govt. are capable of confiscating your stash from these if they see fit.

BTW, gold is the end game safety net (and likely big winner payout) in the unfolding economic situation. There will be a lot of paper money to be made as the crisis progresses from stock, resource, bond and currency volatility. Hats off to you if you've got the balls to gamble your hard earned on these for a quick buck. Of course you could win big if you do. If so, spend your winnings on gold for safe keeping!

Edited by General Congreve

You can't eat gold.
Gold can be used in food and has the E Number 175.[11]

Gold leaf, flake or dust is used on and in some gourmet foods, notably sweets and drinks as decorative ingredient.[12]

Gold flake was used by the nobility in Medieval Europe as a decoration in food and drinks, in the form of leaf, flakes or dust, either to demonstrate the host's wealth or in the belief that something that valuable and rare must be beneficial for one's health.

Goldwasser (English: Goldwater) is a traditional herbal liqueur produced in Gdańsk, Poland, and Schwabach, Germany, and contains flakes of gold leaf. There are also some expensive (~$1000) cocktails which contain flakes of gold leaf[13]. However, since metallic gold is inert to all body chemistry, it adds no taste nor has it any other nutritional effect and leaves the body unaltered.[14]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold#Food_and_drink

Culinary uses

Gold and silver leafs are considered non-toxic when labeled as food-grade and so can be used to decorate food (such as cake) or drink. They can often be found in a desserts including chocolates and Mithai; Vark is a Hindi term for culinary silver leaf. In India gold or silver leaf is often used to cover the top of a main dish before serving, especially at weddings. Gold in particular is sometimes used in fruit jelly snacks. It was also used in coffee, especially during Japan's "bubble economy". In Kanazawa, where Japan's gold leaf production was centred, gold leaf shops and workshops sold green tea and hard candy containing gold leaf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_leaf#Gold_leaf

Edited by enrieb

Guest spp

For me it's Silver (or Gold if you like)...I couldn't sleep without it.

I've already said my goodbyes to the £!

£/$ looking very shaky over the nxt 4months...IMO.

:ph34r:

But I've heard debt is wealth these days... so who knows!

Tim, if I were you I'd put at least 20% of your cash in physical gold, that's bullion coins and bars, like krugerrands and gold bars from Baird & Co. In the current climate that should be the minimum in your portfolio to be safe. Personally I am 45% gold and 5% silver with my liquid assets, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

Currently gold in sterling terms is about the cheapest it's been all year I think, so now might be a good time to start building a little collection. Get yourself a fireproof cash box (about 25 quid) and hide it somewhere secret where no one's going to find it, don't put it in a safety deposit box, the govt. are capable of confiscating your stash from these if they see fit.

BTW, gold is the end game safety net (and likely big winner payout) in the unfolding economic situation. There will be a lot of paper money to be made as the crisis progresses from stock, resource, bond and currency volatility. Hats off to you if you've got the balls to gamble your hard earned on these for a quick buck. Of course you could win big if you do. If so, spend your winnings on gold for safe keeping!

I have to say gold is liquid, just how bad will the economy get I wonder, as I said, I am now very fearful. I do agree land is an asset in the UK, but due to my health I can't really do the winters. I am single now, I can do virtually anything and go anywhere.

I have to say gold is liquid, just how bad will the economy get I wonder, as I said, I am now very fearful. I do agree land is an asset in the UK, but due to my health I can't really do the winters. I am single now, I can do virtually anything and go anywhere.

Gold can go anywhere with you too, within reason (depending on how much your want to haul about) and can be sold over the counter or on the black market into whichever currencies are still standing at the end of all this.

Gold can go anywhere with you too, within reason (depending on how much your want to haul about) and can be sold over the counter or on the black market into whichever currencies are still standing at the end of all this.

Yes indeed, what has put me off is the gold ramping I have seen, it's as if investors have bought in and not seen the expected hike in value.