House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RDW

Hypothetical Wales Question.

I've often thought about this, so decided to ask you giys.

If money was no object..................(it is, but let's assume it's not)

My parents live in Newport, the outlaws live in Llandysul / Newcastle Emlyn, ny uncle lives not far from Hay on Wye. We are quite sedate like the outdoors, good food and eating out. We have a son who we want to go to a, non fee paying, good school.

The obvious answer is The Gower, but a niggle tells me this is not for us.

I lean towards Abergaveny, but it's a bit off a trek for the misses from there.

Any of you locals have a better suggestion ?

TIA

I've often thought about this, so decided to ask you giys.

If money was no object..................(it is, but let's assume it's not)

My parents live in Newport, the outlaws live in Llandysul / Newcastle Emlyn, ny uncle lives not far from Hay on Wye. We are quite sedate like the outdoors, good food and eating out. We have a son who we want to go to a, non fee paying, good school.

The obvious answer is The Gower, but a niggle tells me this is not for us.

I lean towards Abergaveny, but it's a bit off a trek for the misses from there.

Any of you locals have a better suggestion ?

TIA

So you're stretched btn Hay, Newport (assume that's Gwent not Dyfed)and N Emlyn. Yep, Swansea your best bet... geographically. Good school in Bishopston, good local beaches and pubs ; the gateway to the Gower but without the choking prices. And.........best of all..... prices are coming down as we speak.

If you did decide to splash out on fees, Brecon ,Llandovery or Monmouth are all good schools.

So you're stretched btn Hay, Newport (assume that's Gwent not Dyfed)and N Emlyn. Yep, Swansea your best bet... geographically. Good school in Bishopston, good local beaches and pubs ; the gateway to the Gower but without the choking prices. And.........best of all..... prices are coming down as we speak.

If you did decide to splash out on fees, Brecon ,Llandovery or Monmouth are all good schools.

Yes, ditto the above. Bishopston is a good school - aim for somewhere in S'sea West. Within 60 minutes you have Cardiff, Brecon and Pembs.

I would not live on the Gower for all sorts of reasons. Everyone I know who has moved to the Gower has loved it for 12 months max then realised there is nothing to do down there, that everywhere is a good 30 minute drive away and that the locals are weird.

If you want a curry of an evening or to pop out to the cinema then do you fancy a drive back into Swansea?

I know Newcastle Emlyn well, My parents have a house in Llechryd about 7 miles away, and my girlfriend is from Cardigan.

I believe the school in Llandysul is good, as is the one in Crymych near there. I went to the one in Cardigan which is a crap school.

I'm currently having the same dilemma, after renting in Cardiff for 10 years I'm now at a stage where i want to buy a house, but i know when i have kids i want to move back to west wales. I know there aren't many opportunities down there but its a better way of life, i can surf when i want, fit a few kitchens for the rich incomers, walk on the beach, and mainly give my children the freedom to grow up outdoors, unlike Cardiff where kids seem to be trapped by there living room amenities.

so do i buy a house here, knowing i wont want to live in it in 5 years or do i spend another 20k renting?

very tricky.

I know Newcastle Emlyn well, My parents have a house in Llechryd about 7 miles away, and my girlfriend is from Cardigan.

I believe the school in Llandysul is good, as is the one in Crymych near there. I went to the one in Cardigan which is a crap school.

I'm currently having the same dilemma, after renting in Cardiff for 10 years I'm now at a stage where i want to buy a house, but i know when i have kids i want to move back to west wales. I know there aren't many opportunities down there but its a better way of life, i can surf when i want, fit a few kitchens for the rich incomers, walk on the beach, and mainly give my children the freedom to grow up outdoors, unlike Cardiff where kids seem to be trapped by there living room amenities.

so do i buy a house here, knowing i wont want to live in it in 5 years or do i spend another 20k renting?

very tricky.

When I first moved to Cardigan I hated the place and constantly looked across the water to the Dublin I'd recently left but where I'd spent some of my happiest years. Over the next 7 years C'gan grew on me and I was finally reluctant to move. If you love the open air life , walking, birding , it's hard to beat.

But the girlfriend..... a Cardie ,was mad as a hatter. Maybe it's the inbreeding. I do know RD Laing would have spent many interesting hours with her mother and father.

For what it's worth.....continue with the renting.