House Price Crash Forum

Petrol & Diesel Prices About The Same

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
why..?...have I been sleeping.?..just noticed on the forecourts ...has there been a thread.?..link please if there is... thanks.. <_<

What did you expect the difference to be? I think the diffrential was mainly due to tax but I remeber hearing that it's also due to refining capacity. I think diesel is cheaper on the continent.

HOLA444

...found it..I usually only glance at the diesel price... <_<

The current closing of the price gap results from a glut of diesel, caused by recession-hit industrial and transport demand, restraining price increases while petrol prices have soared in recent months.

http://www.motor-trade-insider.com/index.p...-by-90-percent/

HOLA445
why..?...have I been sleeping.?..just noticed on the forecourts ...has there been a thread.?..link please if there is... thanks.. <_<

Demand for gasoline increases in the summer in the US so that pushes price up.

Diesel demand drops because it is a heating fuel. Also less being used because of the recession.

HOLA446
Diesel and petrol prices generally equalise in the Summer, the price of diesel rises in the Winter because it is also used as central heating fuel etc.

I think this time last time year there was a huge differential - up to 10p/litre diesel > unleaded.

Would guess that refining capacities for diesel have caught up, but I'm not entirely sure, however something has definitely changed.

In some areas I have seen diesel 2p cheaper than unleaded (eg West Cumbria).

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
That'll be it - drop in world trade means fewer container ships and fewer lorries, production capacity is still geared up in the expectation of a recovereh, so over production results...

...yeah...looks like a combination of deflation in diesel prices ( re over supply)...and petrol inflation (re exchange rates and speculation on oil prices)...strange blend.....?.... <_<

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
They were the same about this time two years ago.

you are right ..again I didn't notice...

The AA urges buyers to learn from recent history. An early warm spring in 2007 caught US fuel suppliers stocked with diesel and the resulting surge in demand for petrol, from the premature start of the driving season pushed global wholesale prices up to diesel levels. With UK petrol and diesel pump prices level-pegging for the first time since 2001, many car owners decided to join the “dash for dieselâ€.

http://www.contracthireandleasing.com/car-...ks-90-per-cent/