House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest happy?

My Partner Was Sewing Some Denim Today

Guest happy?

I thought to myself:

"Is this a gold thread, and how long will it last?"

I think your partner could find some work with that really big show off that gets mentioned on here. I think he has gold thread in his suits.

I thought to myself:

"Is this a gold thread, and how long will it last?"

I thought that you were going to tell us that she was using some of your saffron stash! :rolleyes:

Peter.

I saw a picture of the Queen the other day.

The sovereign is looking a bit tarnished but every bit as valuable as ever.

whats with the saffron anyway? I know it is expensive but doesn't it have a shelf life? what sort of investment is it and how the hell do you trade it?

as for the yellow cotton, bit of an odd day, seems to be moving with the indicies again. Should be interesting tomorrow.

Guest happy?
whats with the saffron anyway? I know it is expensive but doesn't it have a shelf life? what sort of investment is it and how the hell do you trade it?

It does indeed have a shelf-life. I'm the sort of sad git who comparison-shops by weight - I notice how much items cost per kilo. Saffron is both very light, and very labour intensive to harvest - hence it's staggeringly expensive per kilo - much more so than gold.

By rights it should be the obvious target of shoplifters - small and valuable. I guess most shoplifters don't do a lot of cookery.

It does indeed have a shelf-life. I'm the sort of sad git who comparison-shops by weight - I notice how much items cost per kilo. Saffron is both very light, and very labour intensive to harvest - hence it's staggeringly expensive per kilo - much more so than gold.

By rights it should be the obvious target of shoplifters - small and valuable. I guess most shoplifters don't do a lot of cookery.

more expensive than gold? I put a kg at £18,500 or do you mean more labour intensive?

anyway, is it just an observation or have you actually invested somehow in saffron? I read through the link in your sig, now intreaged as to how one could invest/trade it.

Dunno, but this hippie from the 60's seems to like it:

Perhaps the yellow is an overt demonstration of make do and mend. We've had the fashion for stonewashed , distressed and ripped which was a form of expressing affluence in that you could waste money on designer jeans that were designed to be already falling apart. Perhaps now people will wear repaired jeans that were falling apart from actually being worn out, Some might even make an exhibit of the repair. All going grunge by the sound of it.

Guest happy?
more expensive than gold? I put a kg at £18,500 or do you mean more labour intensive?

anyway, is it just an observation or have you actually invested somehow in saffron? I read through the link in your sig, now intreaged as to how one could invest/trade it.

Sainsburys have it at £7200 kg - so gold's been a better bet in recent years.

Sadly, no I don't trade saffron - though at those prices I'm betting it's a fairly stable commodity and the manufacturers keep it carefully locked away.

The sig's a little tease at the paranoid-end of the gold investment market...

Actually Sainsburys have it £72 per 10g!