House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vested Disinterest

Abuse Of Terrorism Act - Police Photography

OK, so the law as it stands is the law, and you're not allowed to grow weed. Fair enough.

But this guy was arrested for taking a picture of a police car for chris'sake.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8161154.stm

None of the articles I found on this take up the civil liberties angle. I guess I was wrong when I thought people opposing this were overreacting. How naive was I to think that the police wouldn't abuse it.

Stopped under the Terrorism Act. FFS. Blair and Brown you stalinist C unts!

Glad to see he got off with community service but I've heard of some people going to jail for having a few plants for personal use. Like many laws, this one is not applied equally by all judges.

btw how was he charged for possession of a knife? Is it now illegal to carry a knife in a car????

btw how was he charged for possession of a knife? Is it now illegal to carry a knife in a car????

Strictly speaking yes, if it's more than 2.5 inches long and you have no reason for carrying it, and also I think if it is of any size and the police think you will use it for a crime, but then that latter would be true of anything.

I believe a knife any longer than 2 inches has been illegal for quite some time now.

I think it's a bit OTT, and would have thought that if the police were taking it seriously, but being reasonable, they would have asked him to delete the photos of the police, and sent him on his merry way. I guess if his profile wasn't as high as it is at the mo, his defence could have argued that it was a breach of privacy for them to look at the other pics on his camera or some such...

Having read other threads similar to this one recently (the chap arrested for being too tall thread amongst others) I've been quite shocked at the heavy handedness that's being used.

Edit: I'm a slow typer... Apr004 got there first :)

Guest skullingtonjoe
Strictly speaking yes, if it's more than 2.5 inches long and you have no reason for carrying it, and also I think if it is of any size and the police think you will use it for a crime, but then that latter would be true of anything.

It`s a crime to do just about anything now. What made me laugh was the bit where the judge was going on about him `up until now being of a previous good character...` WTF?! :lol: Does having a bit of a weed make you a `bad person` then? Friday and Saturday nights out would be a lot safer - and a hell of a lot more fun - if people lit up a spliff instead of going out, getting p1ssed and then glassing some poor bugger. Having said that it was a bit dozy of him to get nicked like that (by taking the photo of the police car.) Remember: never `hot yourself up`!

Of course, like MPs, the judge does not have to live in the real world... <_<

But if the knife is in your car, what's wrong with that?

You're still technically in possession of it.

You need reasonable excuse to carry one - using for work etc. Always best to carry this sort of thing in the boot, in a case.

I think it's a bit OTT, and would have thought that if the police were taking it seriously, but being reasonable, they would have asked him to delete the photos of the police, and sent him on his merry way. I guess if his profile wasn't as high as it is at the mo, his defence could have argued that it was a breach of privacy for them to look at the other pics on his camera or some such...

The police have no right to ask you to delete photographs. That is for the courts.

They do not even have the right to view your photographs unless they have a reasonable suspicion that you are committing an illegal act - the taking of the photos in a public place in and off itself cannot be construed as evidence of an illegal act, additional cause is required.

It`s a crime to do just about anything now...

The resourceful PC has always been able to find something to get you for.

Loitering with intent

Walking without due caution

Running whilst being excessively Irish

etc, etc...

Guest skullingtonjoe
The police have no right to ask you to delete photographs. That is for the courts.

They do not even have the right to view your photographs unless they have a reasonable suspicion that you are committing an illegal act - the taking of the photos in a public place in and off itself cannot be construed as evidence of an illegal act, additional cause is required.

Trouble is that if you try to assert your rights, they`ll nick you for something else (also isn`t the new `terror` legislation grounds for a collar-feeling if you photograph the police?) :(

I`m convinced that a large part of the police force comprises people who just enjoy throwing their weight around under the guise of `protecting the public` (from what exactly?I `ve seen cases where people have been hospitalised and five-oh did nothing about it; in other circumstances a relatively minor, but oh-so-nickable offence has been blown out of proportion).

I guess with all these league tables and statistics there`s some juicy targets available for the promotion-hungry young bobby! <_< It`s all well and good with the police reducing my fear of crime and disorder, but who is going to reduce my fear of the police (and no, I haven`t done anything naughty before you ask...) :unsure::lol:

Trouble is that if you try to assert your rights, they`ll nick you for something else (also isn`t the new `terror` legislation grounds for a collar-feeling if you photograph the police?) :(

I`m convinced that a large part of the police force comprises people who just enjoy throwing their weight around under the guise of `protecting the public` (from what exactly?I `ve seen cases where people have been hospitalised and five-oh did nothing about it; in other circumstances a relatively minor, but oh-so-nickable offence has been blown out of proportion).

I guess with all these league tables and statistics there`s some juicy targets available for the promotion-hungry young bobby! <_< It`s all well and good with the police reducing my fear of crime and disorder, but who is going to reduce my fear of the police (and no, I haven`t done anything naughty before you ask...) :unsure::lol:

Some of them are simply bad bouncers in a uniform.

Why is there not a Law for a Policeman simply being a dick ? Too difficult to Police... :rolleyes:

Guest skullingtonjoe
Some of them are simply bad bouncers in a uniform.

Why is there not a Law for a Policeman simply being a dick ? Too difficult to Police... :rolleyes:

LOL :lol:

please read and learn your right to keep and bear arms,under the bill of rights.

it PRE-DATES parliament,and was put there for a reason.

we have had 300+ years of "implied consent" shoved down our throats.

believe it or not,we ARE going to need a means of defence against enemies,both foreign and domestic(sorry..I borrowed that bit from the US version,but it is equally applicable to ourselves)

there are old soviet battleplans for the invasion of this country that go back to the 1950's,and the threat has most certainly NOT gone away,we've just been lulled into a false sense of security.

would you rather be carted away to work in siberia as slave labour or go down fighting?

if we succeed in repelling the foreigners,we can then turn our hand to those slimeballs in parliament who are abusing us....at our own expense.

the relentless barrage of knifecrime doublespeak should be treated for what it is....an attack.

...there is a very easy solution to repeat-offence burglary if you are tooled up at home.

that should cut down the costs of imprisoning such people considerably.There won't BE repeat offences!!

Guest skullingtonjoe
please read and learn your right to keep and bear arms,under the bill of rights.

it PRE-DATES parliament,and was put there for a reason.

we have had 300+ years of "implied consent" shoved down our throats.

believe it or not,we ARE going to need a means of defence against enemies,both foreign and domestic(sorry..I borrowed that bit from the US version,but it is equally applicable to ourselves)

there are old soviet battleplans for the invasion of this country that go back to the 1950's,and the threat has most certainly NOT gone away,we've just been lulled into a false sense of security.

would you rather be carted away to work in siberia as slave labour or go down fighting?

if we succeed in repelling the foreigners,we can then turn our hand to those slimeballs in parliament who are abusing us....at our own expense.

the relentless barrage of knifecrime doublespeak should be treated for what it is....an attack.

...there is a very easy solution to repeat-offence burglary if you are tooled up at home.

that should cut down the costs of imprisoning such people considerably.There won't BE repeat offences!!

True, but the only problem is that if you try defending your own home (even if you are in fear of your life), if you `bump someone off` you`re going to do time. If possible, just bury the body in the garden (you`re going to be prosecuted and sent down anyway, so why not try to avoid that at least?) For many of us that`s not an option, and it reveals our two-tier society: a lot of people renting are in flats, so the `bury in the garden` is not possible. :rolleyes:

We don`t need to be invaded by the (ex) Soviets as most of our freedoms have been eroded and are still receding. <_<

You're still technically in possession of it.

You need reasonable excuse to carry one - using for work etc. Always best to carry this sort of thing in the boot, in a case.

I had no idea the coppers could nick you for this. What if you just want protection from carjacking? A mate of mine used to carry a baseball bat in his car for this very reason.

Incredible that you can be nicked for carrying a knife in a car, just incredible!

I had no idea the coppers could nick you for this. What if you just want protection from carjacking? A mate of mine used to carry a baseball bat in his car for this very reason.

Incredible that you can be nicked for carrying a knife in a car, just incredible!

Any item used to protect yourself makes that item an offensive weapon.

You'd be looking at a spell inside if proven in court.

How would you get a decent swing from inside your car? You're more likely to be dragged from your car and beaten with your own baseball bat!

Under this corrupt bunch of Bastoids NuLabour the Police have become a bunch of politicised Nazi henchmen much like the SS. The do their masters will and like in Nazi Germany try a bit harder and push the boundaries a bit further all the time. What next extermination camps for people found to be having thoughts contrary to the public good as they see it? An example could be hating NuNaziLabour!

The bastoids took my picture at football matches, demonstrations and public events without my permission. I want them scrubbed too. And all the cctv images of me wandering the streets.

They just push it further and further and wonder why there is no respect for them. All they think about are their Feckin targets..... must go out and make a few minor arrests to get my quota in. I cannot understand how crime is reducing when they get pushed for improved targets, except that solved crime is improved by going for soft targets rather than what we would all call real crime.

This fickin government is just a complete mess!

Its best to keep a low profile. :ph34r:

But if the knife is in your car, what's wrong with that?

It's in a public place.

There is an offence of possessing a bladed article in a public place without reasonable excuse or lawful authority if the blade is over a certain length - 3 inches I think. On the other hand, there is an offence of possessing any offensive weapon in public place so even a knife under 3 inches (or whatever it is) may fall into the category.

Guest skullingtonjoe
How would you get a decent swing from inside your car? You're more likely to be dragged from your car and beaten with your own baseball bat!

Why not just use your car as a battering ram? If anyone is stupid enough to think that they can survive being run over /squashed, then fair enough imho. ;):lol:

Guest skullingtonjoe

Nothing is incredible any more really :(:unsure: