House Price Crash Forum

Beds

lulu

HOLA441

Hi,

I moved recently into a new rented flat.

Ever since I have been having problems sleeping and getting a very sore back. The bed that is in the property is old and is certainly past it so I suspect the two are connected.

What are my rights for getting it replaced?

I was going to say to the agents that I would be happy to buy my own bed but would need them to remove the existing one as there is no place to store it in the flat (I suspect the LL willl think the bed in there is perfectly adaquate) does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing? Can I insist it is done?

HOLA442
Hi,

I moved recently into a new rented flat.

Ever since I have been having problems sleeping and getting a very sore back. The bed that is in the property is old and is certainly past it so I suspect the two are connected.

What are my rights for getting it replaced?

I was going to say to the agents that I would be happy to buy my own bed but would need them to remove the existing one as there is no place to store it in the flat (I suspect the LL willl think the bed in there is perfectly adaquate) does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing? Can I insist it is done?

This is often a problem with furnished (even new beds can be uncomfortable) and the main reason that I always look for unfurnished.

tim

HOLA443
This is often a problem with furnished (even new beds can be uncomfortable) and the main reason that I always look for unfurnished.

tim

I was thinking about unfurnished too but they are very few and far between here, especially for the flats. Instead I have a flat full of all kinds of crap (non matching Matalan plates for example) that are all the inventory, I will never use most of this stuff as it is cheap shite but I will still need to store them until I leave.

I would happily pay the £200 for a new bed but that is useless if I cannot make the agents get rid of the old one as there is nowhere to store it in the property.

HOLA444
HOLA445
If, maybe a big if, but if you agree to leave the new bed when you leave, they should be prepared to come and get the old one. I think we did this for my brother's tenants when they moaned about the mattress.

That's a terrible idea. If you're going to fork out money for a decent, comfortable bed then why on Earth would you want to leave it for the landlord's benefit?

HOLA446
Guest X-QUORK

Is there nothing in your agreement about furnishings needing to be provided and maintained in good working condition? Surely you don't have to put up with defective furnishings?

HOLA447

That'll larn ya :lol: If renting furnished, check at least the major items!

FWIW, place I rented furnished, the bed was fine at first, but grew progressively lumpier over the years (only the mattress - the base was fine). Eventually I plucked up courage, asked the landlord, proposed buying my own so I'd get the choice. She had no problem agreeing to that. So I bought me a futon :)

Five years on or thereabouts, and I'm still sleeping on it in my current (unfurnished) place.

HOLA448

Our place we are in was furnished and we've stored a lot of the crap or given it back as we had all our own stuff,but we did leave the single bed in our sons room, He is still in his cot.

But we've both slept on this bed and the mattress which was brand new in its packet is awful and very cheap. It supports your weight fine but the springs really dig into you.

I will have no qualms in asking to chuck the hunk of junk when my son needs to sleep on a proper bed. If the LL buys rubbish that they clearly would not sleep on themselves why should you have to.

The double bed/mattress they left was also brand new and weighed nothing, it could be thrown around it was that poor quality(Its now being stored in my nans garage) Whilst our king size mattress weighs a ton and needs 2 people to move it.

HOLA449

Beds are always an awkward area as if it's new (albeit a crap £99 job) you can hardly argue it's in poor condition. Caveat emptor!

A possible solution is to buy a good-quality mattress overlay - Tempur or similar - which you can take with you when you leave.

This is one the LL really can't win on - you get as many tenants moaning that the bed is too soft as too hard. If it's covered with unmentionable stains, or the springs are sticking out, obviously that's a nag of a different colour, but bed quality is very individual. Personally I loathe futons with a passion!

HOLA4410
Beds are always an awkward area as if it's new (albeit a crap £99 job) you can hardly argue it's in poor condition. Caveat emptor!

A possible solution is to buy a good-quality mattress overlay - Tempur or similar - which you can take with you when you leave.

This is one the LL really can't win on - you get as many tenants moaning that the bed is too soft as too hard. If it's covered with unmentionable stains, or the springs are sticking out, obviously that's a nag of a different colour, but bed quality is very individual. Personally I loathe futons with a passion!

It is a tricky one, which is why I have said to the agents that if the LL is insistant on keeping this bed that they need to have it removed and stored elsewhere, there really is not room to store it in the flat as it is very small.

I know a comfy bed is open to interpretation but most people should be able to identify a bed that would not look out of place on a skip from one that is useable. This one is certainly the former there is nothing obviously wrong with it but the springs have gone so it is almost like sleeping on the floor.

HOLA4411
It is a tricky one, which is why I have said to the agents that if the LL is insistant on keeping this bed that they need to have it removed and stored elsewhere, there really is not room to store it in the flat as it is very small.

I know a comfy bed is open to interpretation but most people should be able to identify a bed that would not look out of place on a skip from one that is useable. This one is certainly the former there is nothing obviously wrong with it but the springs have gone so it is almost like sleeping on the floor.

buy a second mattress and stick it on top

tim