House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

British Families £12 A Week Better Off

http://news.scotsman.com/uk/British-famili...week.5476633.jp

THE average family is £12 a week better off, compared with June last year, as lower interest rates continue to help mortgage payers, research showed today.

A typical household had £164 a week of discretionary income in June 2009 – up 7.8 per cent on the same time in 2008, according to Asda. The supermarket put the extra cash down to falling interest rates, as well as low inflation.

This was being ramped on the Beeb this morning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8160402.stm

Fashion retailer Next has increased its profit forecast after better-than-expected trading in recent weeks.

Next said that it now expected to make £15m more profit than it had previously forecast in the first half of the year.

Like-for-like sales - which strip out new store openings - fell 1.9% in the 25 weeks to 18 July.

But the retailer said the recent good weather had increased sales by between 2% and 3%, particularly benefiting sales of summer clothing.

Total sales increased by 1.4%.

The retailer brought forward its trading update by one week because of the better-than-expected trading.

The group said it intended to open 13 stand-alone home stores this year, and 17 new or re-sited Next stores.

And then we got this story as well, I'm convinced the recovery is here.

3 to cope with improving tractor demand predicted for the 2010.

splendid. Krasnij January, February, March i suggest

Some of us bears get a bad rap, because people think we are cheering hardship. But as mortgage costs go down, people hopefully will have more discretionary income.

We didn't get everything we wanted during the last 12 months, but home prices are down what 13% AND interest rates are lower. So it is significant savings for a family, when they figure out their monthly payment.

http://news.scotsman.com/uk/British-famili...week.5476633.jp

This was being ramped on the Beeb this morning.

and yet my food parcel was UP 6.08%, people on very low mortgages are very low in number, and credit card rates are up and wages a re frozen,

must be the fuel prices...

Some of us bears get a bad rap, because people think we are cheering hardship. But as mortgage costs go down, people hopefully will have more discretionary income.

We didn't get everything we wanted during the last 12 months, but home prices are down what 13% AND interest rates are lower. So it is significant savings for a family, when they figure out their monthly payment.

it's a bit of a lottery though... a friend of mine has seen no benefit at all - his mortgage is still the same size millstone, and his work has all but collapsed

I don't think the recovery is here quite yet. The dual hosted BBC newsreaders just ran a report querying 'what will get us spending again as WE ARE ALL holding back on spending due to the recession'

I thought is was just those of us who have lost our jobs and had our savings and pensions robbed who had stopped spending. If high income newsreaders have stopped spending we must really be in the shite. Perhaps they are saving for deposits on expanding BTL portfolios, after all the HPC is over.

The average INDEBTED family more like.

I would have been delighted to help but I moved my trashed savings out of the UK.

Not very public spirited I agree

but you see, I like to be asked first.

I guess it's the way I was raised; to fight :angry:

EDIT:- grammar

Edited by Laura

Again, this is another example of the government shitting on people who rent to the benefit of those who bought property.

Personally, my rent has gone down by 10% - but I had to negotiate that - it was by no means a foregone conclusion as it was for mortgage holders.

Better weather?? Next need to look out of their window.

The Met office said it will be a long hot "barbeque summer", the media played that in all outlets. The public sentiment reflects that, irrespective of the fundamentals. Gov't and media say it's a long hot summer, then it is one. FACT.

I'm off to buy some more flip-flops from Next.

and yet my food parcel was UP 6.08%, people on very low mortgages are very low in number, and credit card rates are up and wages a re frozen,

must be the fuel prices...

You are probably above average.

The Met office said it will be a long hot "barbeque summer", the media played that in all outlets. The public sentiment reflects that, irrespective of the fundamentals. Gov't and media say it's a long hot summer, then it is one. FACT.

I'm off to buy some more flip-flops from Next.

I know, I know. I've got 500 litres of white paint in the garage, to paint the exterior walls, to keep the summer heat at bay as they suggested. If it would only stop raining I'd be out there with my brush.

I know, I know. I've got 500 litres of white paint in the garage, to paint the exterior walls, to keep the summer heat at bay as they suggested. If it would only stop raining I'd be out there with my brush.

:)

THE average family is £12 a week better off, compared with June last year, as lower interest rates continue to help mortgage payers, research showed today.

... as lower interest rates continue to help mortgage payers and rip off savers.