House Price Crash Forum
waitingscot

Where Do You Get The Best Return For Savings?

I want to move money out of my RBS ISA because I am getting virtually nothing for it.

I am tempted by Abbey's 3% variable rate ISA:

http://www.abbey.com/csgs/Satellite?canal=...ACOM_TemplateY2

I don't want to tie my money down because I might want to buy a house at some point in the next couple of years - or change my money to euros and move.

So where are people getting the best rates at the moment?

Edited by waitingscot

I want to move money out of my RBS ISA because I am getting virtually nothing for it.

I don't want to tie my money out because I might want to buy a house at some point in the next couple of years - or change my money to euros and move.

Britannia Homesave.

I don't want to tie my money out because I might want to buy a house at some point in the next couple of years - or change my money to euros and move.

LLoyds has a 3% fixed over £9k

Is that an ISA?

Does the tax saving make a difference?

Its an isa yes.

Depends on what you are getting on your regualr savings/bonds, but if you yank out your isa equity you have to start from zero again.

I don't want to tie my money down because I might want to buy a house at some point in the next couple of years - or change my money to euros and move.

Remember, the best rates are offered by those financial institutions that need your money most, i.e. are most up sh1t creek. BEWARE. Buy some g o l d.

Edited by General Congreve

Remember, the best rates are offered by those financial institutions that need your money most, i.e. are most up sh1t creek. BEWARE. Buy some g o l d.

Agreed, Capital preservation is the key. F the extra £200 in interest, the majority of mine, £50k, is on deposit in Nationwide, the rest is in Lloyds.

Both earn bugger all interest, but at least I can sleep at night.

Agreed, Capital preservation is the key. F the extra £200 in interest, the majority of mine, £50k, is on deposit in Nationwide, the rest is in Lloyds.

Both earn bugger all interest, but at least I can sleep at night.

I did this for near on two years under advice from posters 07 - 09 and lost a pile of interest!

I now have my remaining funds in the highest paying bank (and dodgiest)

YOU know it's sh!t, I know it's sh!t, the Govenment know it's sh!t, BANK know it's shit - but the PUBLIC still belief! and thats all that matters, so fill your boots with maxium interest.

You will know when t pull!

Living abroad in France, I still have my RBS account in the UK.

Anyone know of a better interest paying account that i could switch to ? (don't think I can open an ISA or anything like that?)

I now have my remaining funds in the highest paying bank (and dodgiest)

Are you with ICICI or State Bank of India now then?

You will know when t pull!

Remember the Icelandic Banks October 2008? A very serious warning was in the Telegraph back in late February 2008 but that 7.2% interest rate kept most of them loyal......

Average Joe Public will never learn

Edited by gotoutintime

Abbey 5% ‘Home Saver’ Account

I dont have one of these, but a friend of mine was in the process of openeing one a short time ago. There are rules on how much you can deposit each month or you lose interest. The way to get round it is to open the account, and immediately put in the full balance, you will earn negligible interest in the first month, but then it revert to 5% per annum. Maximum deposit is £50k I think, but then if you are cautious you will want to spread it around anyway.

Abbey 5% ‘Home Saver’ Account

I dont have one of these, but a friend of mine was in the process of openeing one a short time ago. There are rules on how much you can deposit each month or you lose interest. The way to get round it is to open the account, and immediately put in the full balance, you will earn negligible interest in the first month, but then it revert to 5% per annum. Maximum deposit is £50k I think, but then if you are cautious you will want to spread it around anyway.

There's an upper age limit of 35. Can you believe it? As if the state of the housing bubble leaves people over 35 in a position to buy ?!? I'd have gone for this otherwise. I could have blagged my way through a mortgage interview...

There's an upper age limit of 35. Can you believe it? As if the state of the housing bubble leaves people over 35 in a position to buy ?!? I'd have gone for this otherwise. I could have blagged my way through a mortgage interview...

Sorry, I was not aware of this T&C. I have a feeling you cant be a home (debt) owner either.

Britannia Homesave.

2.5% isn't brilliant. You can get that elsewhere without the restrictions.

Abbey First Home Saver at 5% is worth looking at.

2.5% isn't brilliant. You can get that elsewhere without the restrictions.

Abbey First Home Saver at 5% is worth looking at.

That's the one with the 35 age limit I think.