House Price Crash Forum
Guest BoomBoomCrash

Is Dragon's Den A Good Advert For British Entrepreneurship?

Guest BoomBoomCrash

I mean every single person that has ever been a Dragon on that show has a very shady business background. It can't have escaped the notice of regular viewers that very little about the background of any of the Dragon's is divulged, and there is good reason for this. You have Bannatyne with his crooked nursing homes, Paphitis and his dodgy property deals, Elnaugh whose company 'Red Letter Days' was sold to fellow Dragon's after she got into trouble for not paying suppliers, it further transpired the business was basically a total fraud; and the list goes on. Spivs, liars and charlatans, is that the best we can offer in terms of showcasing British business?

There was a series of 5 shows last year, each hour long shown went into the background of each dragon and showcased there life. It was an interesting series. The woman that ran red letter days is no longer a dragon and hasn't been for a couple of years, and red letter days appears to be doing ALOT better under new ownership by the new dragons so I assume the problem was with the head.

IMHO it is a showcase for business, the line between a successful business and organised fraud is very very thin, less fraud and corruption in the UK but it shows the unwashed how business works....

Edited by moosetea

Guest BoomBoomCrash
There was a series of 5 shows last year, each hour long shown went into the background of each dragon and showcased there life. It was an interesting series. The woman that ran red letter days is no longer a dragon and hasnt been for a couple of years, the dragons change relativity regularly.

I know Elnaugh is no longer a Dragon, I just mentioned her as she was one of the original ones. My point is that each and ever one of them is a crook and yet they are held up as example to aspire to in business.

Edited by BoomBoomCrash

I know Elnaugh is no longer a Dragon, I just mentioned her as she was one of the original ones. My point is that each and ever one of them is a crook and yet they are held up as example to aspire to in business.

That's business, most successful business people have a shady past... that's the way it works across the world

Edited by moosetea

Peter Jones is the biggest twit of them all. This is my opinion anyway.

That Richard Farley was the only sensible one there.

Guest BoomBoomCrash
Peter Jones is the biggest twit of them all. This is my opinion anyway.

That Richard Farley was the only sensible one there.

Farley's background is investment banking and he did a very profitable sideline in insider trading. Peter Jones is probably the shadiest of them all. His umbrella group http://www.phonesintgroup.com/ (Phones International Inc) and its constituent companies don't seem to much business at all; indeed a few of the companies seem to be nothing more than shells. It has been suggested that the whole 'business' is actually a money laundering operation. Very dodgy indeed.

I mean every single person that has ever been a Dragon ............................

Blimey BBC best thread you've started in ages ....

FWIW I'd stick my dollar with Bannatyne any day. Read his autobiography *BEFORE* you criticise they guy !

As for the others - well it's so-oo-o-o-o predictable that these source of wealth for these guys would be in

Mobile sales

Recruitment

Land Ownership

House Sales/ Investment Banking/ Trading

blah blah blah

Farley's background is investment banking and he did a very profitable sideline in insider trading. Peter Jones is probably the shadiest of them all. His umbrella group http://www.phonesintgroup.com/ (Phones International Inc) and its constituent companies don't seem to much business at all; indeed a few of the companies seem to be nothing more than shells. It has been suggested that the whole 'business' is actually a money laundering operation. Very dodgy indeed.

Sheesh ! You gotta be very careful over the things you allege ! And it's Farleigh BTW.

Guest BoomBoomCrash
Sheesh ! You gotta be very careful over the things you allege ! And it's Farleigh BTW.

Not really. Peter Jones is the only one the jury is still out on, the others are bsically crooks.

Guest BoomBoomCrash
Blimey BBC best thread you've started in ages ....

FWIW I'd stick my dollar with Bannatyne any day. Read his autobiography *BEFORE* you criticise they guy !

As for the others - well it's so-oo-o-o-o predictable that these source of wealth for these guys would be in

Mobile sales

Recruitment

Land Ownership

House Sales/ Investment Banking/ Trading

blah blah blah

Bannatyne and his chain of crooked nursing homes can go to hell. They were basically robbing old vulnerable people by cutting every corner imaginable and actually putting residents in danger. The man is an absolute disgrace.

Bannatyne and his chain of crooked nursing homes can go to hell. They were basically robbing old vulnerable people by cutting every corner imaginable and actually putting residents in danger. The man is an absolute disgrace.

He long since sold his nursing homes - many years ago. And your assertion is at great variance with his account of his second nursing home onwards.

One of the two of you must have it wrong.

DD is a pi55 poor representation of entrepeneurship & investment in this country. But that awfull Apprentice program makes is shine like a beacon of knowledge & respectability.

Guest BoomBoomCrash
He long since sold his nursing homes - many years ago. And your assertion is at great variance with his account of his second nursing home onwards.

One of the two of you must have it wrong.

So have being a crook is ok if it is far enough in your past? I know he sold the nursing homes to another company a long time ago, but it does not change they way they were operated.

That's business, most successful business people have a shady past... that's the way it works across the world

I had no idea. I've known a few entrepreneurs and really didn't get on with them, seemed untrustworthy and egotistical.

Guest Steve Cook
I mean every single person that has ever been a Dragon on that show has a very shady business background. It can't have escaped the notice of regular viewers that very little about the background of any of the Dragon's is divulged, and there is good reason for this. You have Bannatyne with his crooked nursing homes, Paphitis and his dodgy property deals, Elnaugh whose company 'Red Letter Days' was sold to fellow Dragon's after she got into trouble for not paying suppliers, it further transpired the business was basically a total fraud; and the list goes on. Spivs, liars and charlatans, is that the best we can offer in terms of showcasing British business?

Didn't you know?

We live in a country of bullies, con-men and depressives

That's the "free" market for ya... ;)

F*ck swine flu.

Affluenza is really bad for your health

Edited by Steve Cook

I had no idea. I've known a few entrepreneurs and really didn't get on with them, seemed untrustworthy and egotistical.

Entrepreneurs, eh? Shysters the lot of them.

I know quite a bit about the Dragon's, think I've mentioned a fair bit about Theo & Peter Jones before, can't be bothered to recount it all again. Bannantyne is basically the only genuine 'start from scratch' man on the street. If you're looking for something to bash him with it'd be how he schmoozed local council officials oop North to his benefit, nothing illegal though.

Didn't you know?

F*ck swine flu.

that's why I support capitalism -the more of these *rseholes are constrained by the market the better - otherwise they'd all work for the govt

Didn't you know?

F*ck swine flu.

Oliver James's adolescent fantasies for society are not a lot better than Injin's.

Guest Steve Cook
Oliver James's adolescent fantasies for society are not a lot better than Injin's.

I have to be honest and admit that I have yet to read his book.

"Affluenza".....you've got to admit...Catchy strap-line... ;)

Edited by Steve Cook

Abuse of media exposure and covert bullshitters.

Take G. Ramsey - recently exposed serving food at premium prices in his chain of restaurants that is delivered by van & made in a central food factory :lol:

Current Head of British Airways

He resigned his previous job shortly after the Irish Airline he was running refused to let him float it on the markets so that he & fellow directors could trouser Millions in Directors fees/perks!

I'm sure you could quite easily find other juicy stuff/connections on Alan Sugar and many others with a bit of digging!

Would beat any TV program if you did it as a hobby!

Poss even flog your 'results' to highest National daily bidder

SpelChek

Edited by erranta

Making wild and unsubstantiated claims about the Dragons, or anyone else, is a dangerous game. They might not be clean as whistles but I would be a little more careful about making statements like this without solid evidence. If you have evidence then present it but just throwing wild and unsupported accusations is pointless and damages the integrity of this website and its contributors.

Coming to the thread's question, no I don't think DD is a good advert for anything other than itself. What promising entrepreneur with a good idea would throw away half his shareholding in perpetuity for a not very adequate sum of money? Much better to beg or borrow at set interest and pay it back but still own the company. I would guess therefore that over half the contestants appear for publicity and make an assumption that they are not going to get an investment or in fact don't want an investment at all.

The spin offs from the Den, notably books about how you too "can be a millionaire just like me" are absurd. As any schoolboy can work out, in order for one person to be a multi millionaire it is necessary that almost everyone surrounding them is not.

Edited by VacantPossession

As any schoolboy can work out, in order for one person to be a multi millionaire it is necessary that almost everyone else is not.

no it's not

Abuse of media exposure and covert bullshitters.

Take G. Ramsey - recently exposed serving food at premium prices in his chain of restaurants that is delivered by van & made in a central food factory :lol:

they prepare the uncooked veg etc ffs!

clean it and cut it up etc afaik