House Price Crash Forum
Monopoly

Illegal Build In Back Garden

Neighbours adult son is building a type accommodation in their back garden.. the garden is 140 feet and he is building it at the back behind bushes and a fence..so you cant see it from the house

At first we thought it would be a summerhouse..but first who would have a summerhouse so far back behind all the wild shrubs and second the foundation which went in was defiantly not just for a summerhouse.

Today we fount out the he will be moving in there,,he does not live at home at the moment.

When does something like this become illegal? When someone lives there permanently?

Neighbours adult son is building a type accommodation in their back garden.. the garden is 140 feet and he is building it at the back behind bushes and a fence..so you cant see it from the house

At first we thought it would be a summerhouse..but first who would have a summerhouse so far back behind all the wild shrubs and second the foundation which went in was defiantly not just for a summerhouse.

Today we fount out the he will be moving in there,,he does not live at home at the moment.

When does something like this become illegal? When someone lives there permanently?

Do you care? I think it sounds quite nice.

If it is a permanent residence, then I imagine some kind of permission is required, but I would not be bothered if it is out of sight.

When it is an independent dwelling, rather than a building ancillary to the main dwelling.

That is to say, if they use it as overspill accommodation, that is probably OK. If it has cooking and sanitary facilities, it's probably not. A general rule of thumb is whether it could be let out without the occupants needing access to the main house.

As long as it is less than 30 sqr mtrs and takes up less than 50% of the garden, and less than 4 m high (if over 2 m from the boundary and having an apex roof) or less than 2.5 m high if within 2 m of the boundary, and as long as it is not in front of the original building then is doesn't contravening planning as far as I recall. However if someone sleeps in there then it does need to conform to building regs.

My neighbours have 4 large sheds up their back garden, that are lived in permanently by 4 of their 8 kids.

Sure some might see it as cheating the system....But sleeping in a hut and making do...is hardly a crime

I am happy with that, they are all nice people/kids and all very respectful neighbours. Why would I want to complain?

Yes..it will have water and shower and so on..I'm not to bothered about it..we only rent this place..but..he will move in with 2 big dogs...a mastiff bulldog and a rottweiler and the fence at the back is chest high and rotten and we have kids and 2 cats.

That's why I want to know if it is legal or not...in case that there will be trouble with the dogs... ;)

My neighbours have 4 large sheds up their back garden, that are lived in permanently by 4 of their 8 kids.

Sure some might see it as cheating the system....But sleeping in a hut and making do...is hardly a crime

I am happy with that, they are all nice people/kids and all very respectful neighbours. Why would I want to complain?

8 kids. :blink: Do the decent thing and buy them a TV.

Yes..it will have water and shower and so on..I'm not to bothered about it..we only rent this place..but..he will move in with 2 big dogs...a mastiff bulldog and a rottweiler and the fence at the back is chest high and rotten and we have kids and 2 cats.

That's why I want to know if it is legal or not...in case that there will be trouble with the dogs... ;)

well if you are not bothered about him living in building but worried about dogs just go round and have a quiet word about putting up a new bit of fence to stop dogs getting over into your garden i'm sure they won't mind

Disaster in the making, unless you get something done about that fence. Talk to your landlord, but don't wait for the accident to happen. Dogs attacking kids happens daily in the UK. They see them as competition or prey, very differently to the way they see adults. A Rottweiler's weight alone will soon flatten a rotten fence. These breeds are particularly suspect around children, not to mention the possible barking nuisance.

I'm a dog lover, but this is red flag situation.

Edited by juvenal

..he will move in with 2 big dogs...a mastiff bulldog and a rottweiler and the fence at the back is chest high and rotten and we have kids and 2 cats.

So the dogs would be OK with you if he'd simply moved into the small bedroom in the main house ...?

The shed at the bottom of the garden that he may or may not be living in is irrelevant. It's a dogs/fence issue.

As long as it is less than 30 sqr mtrs and takes up less than 50% of the garden, and less than 4 m high (if over 2 m from the boundary and having an apex roof) or less than 2.5 m high if within 2 m of the boundary, and as long as it is not in front of the original building then is doesn't contravening planning as far as I recall. However if someone sleeps in there then it does need to conform to building regs.

i think it is 70m3 if semi or detached

He only has the foundation in jet..have to wait if he is doing something about the fence first...we thinking of moving into something nicer anyhow..but don't know when jet.

I don't know about building regs (I'm sure you are right).

As per planning, if it meets criteria similar to what you state it does not need planning permission as long as it is for use by the occupants of the main house.

If anyone cares: General Permitted Development Order 2008

So the dogs would be OK with you if he'd simply moved into the small bedroom in the main house ...?

The shed at the bottom of the garden that he may or may not be living in is irrelevant. It's a dogs/fence issue.

Sorry but I disagree..much easier to get rid of problem if illegal ;)

A little ibuprofen goes a long way in dogs

I don't know about building regs (I'm sure you are right).

As per planning, if it meets criteria similar to what you state it does not need planning permission as long as it is for use by the occupants of the main house.

If anyone cares: General Permitted Development Order 2008

But that's the thing..he is not an occupants of the main house..he will give up his flat and move in there.

Do I understand it right..as long you stick to 30qm you can build your self a nice little house at the back of the garden and live in it?

Why did I see on TV that some family's had to demolition their little garden annex?

Edited by Monopoly

But that's the thing..he is not an occupants of the main house..he will give up his flat and move in there.

If his family live in the house, and he has to take his meals / ablutions in the house he would probably get away with it.

Do I understand it right..as long you stick to 30qm you can build your self a nice little house at the back of the garden and live in it?

The 30sqm was one of apr400's few errors. Read the document - Class E.

Development is automatically permitted:

within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse of—

(a) any building or enclosure, swimming or other pool required for a purpose

incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse (...)

Unless:

(a) as a result of the works, the total area of ground covered by buildings within the

curtilage of the dwellinghouse (other than the original dwellinghouse) would

exceed 50% of the total area of the curtilage (excluding the ground area of the

original dwellinghouse);

(B) the height of the part of the dwellinghouse enlarged, improved or altered would

exceed the height of the highest part of the roof of the existing dwellinghouse;

© the height of the eaves of the part of the dwellinghouse enlarged, improved or

altered would exceed the height of the eaves of the existing dwellinghouse;

(d) the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would extend beyond a wall which—

(i) fronts a highway, and

(ii) forms either the principal elevation or a side elevation of the original

dwellinghouse;

(e) the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would have a single storey and—

(i) extend beyond the rear wall of the original dwellinghouse by more than 4

metres in the case of a detached dwellinghouse, or 3 metres in the case of any

other dwellinghouse, or

(ii) exceed 4 metres in height;

(f) the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would have more than one storey and—

(i) extend beyond the rear wall of the original dwellinghouse by more than 3

metres, or

(ii) be within 7 metres of any boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse

opposite the rear wall of the dwellinghouse;

(g) the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would be within 2 metres of the boundary

of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse, and the height of the eaves of the enlarged

part would exceed 3 metres;

(h) the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse would extend beyond a wall forming a side

elevation of the original dwellinghouse, and would—

(i) exceed 4 metres in height,

(ii) have more than one storey, or

(ii) have a width greater than half the width of the original dwellinghouse; or

(i) it would consist of or include—

(i) the construction or provision of a veranda, balcony or raised platform,

(ii) the installation, alteration or replacement of a microwave antenna,

(iii) the installation, alteration or replacement of a chimney, flue or soil and vent

pipe, or

(iv) an alteration to any part of the roof of the dwellinghouse.

Further conditions apply, and further exclusions in conservation areas etc. These are detailed in the linked document.

Why did I see on TV that some family's had to demolition their little garden annex?

it is usually 70 m3 which isn’t a huge amount of space.

it is usually 70 m3 which isn’t a huge amount of space.

Sorry, no.

That cubic allowance related to extensions (not garden buildings) and was in the previous GPDO, replaced last year.

Sorry, no.

That cubic allowance related to extensions (not garden buildings) and was in the previous GPDO, replaced last year.

What is the limit on garden building size?

What is the limit on garden building size?

See above. The limitation on footprint is if:

(a) as a result of the works, the total area of ground covered by buildings within the

curtilage of the dwellinghouse (other than the original dwellinghouse) would

exceed 50% of the total area of the curtilage (excluding the ground area of the

original dwellinghouse);