House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest theboltonfury

Any Vets Here?

Guest theboltonfury

I am being serious. Usually, I'm not.

My beloved dog and great friend, a nearly 6 year old Siberian Husky just literally keeled over and died on Friday when I was taking him for a wee before bed. No health problems, fed quality food, a fit dog and showed no signs of discomfort, yet he literally crumpled over and just died.

I'm absolutely devastated and just can't work out how this happened. Any one got any idea? It just seems so wrong that such an apparantly healthy animal is happy as Larry one minute and dead the next.

Humans can sometimes do the same thing, and for a variety of reasons (though from what I gather, the underlying cause of most is some form of heart disease).

Happened to a friend's boss a few years ago. Secretary came back from her lunch hour, knocked on his office door and got no reply. Thinking that he didn't want to be disturbed, she went away and came back again some time later. When he didn't answer the second time she opened the door and found him stone cold dead in his seat, the document he was reading still in his hand. Frankly, I can think of much worse ways to go when my time eventually comes. I'd much rather that than Dignitas; that's for sure.

It might be worth running this past your vet, just in case there's some transmissible disease that can cause this in dogs and it's possible to take precautions, so that he can warn other dog owners in the area. Sorry to hear about your loss - must have been a hell of a shock.

Sorry to hear that mate. Could be anything. As already suggested, dodgy heart, aneurism (mate died from this, this year).

To look on the bright side, he died with a good friend by his side.

Guest theboltonfury
Sorry to hear that mate. Could be anything. As already suggested, dodgy heart, aneurism (mate died from this, this year).

To look on the bright side, he died with a good friend with him.

Ta. He had zero suffering which is quite a consolation and a good life in his 6 years. Nature can be a real harsh sod at times though.

Guest Skinty

My condolences. I know how dogs can be part of the family. Huskies are such beautiful dogs as well.

Having been present now several times when a family dog was put down, it was never pleasant. Although 6 is young for a dog, it definitely sounds a less traumatic way to go for the dog. I do understand that this doesn't make it any less of a shock though.

Sad for you, BF.

Dogs are really good mates through thick and thin.

Hell of an impact on one's emotions when such an unexpected thing happens like this.

Please do find another pup to adopt ASAP: it will really help you to overcome this awful loss.

Sorry about your dog. They are part of the family.

Hopefully no one reading this forum took the advice on offer recently about poisoning dogs to get back at their neighbours :rolleyes:

Anyway, condolences :ph34r:

Hi FB - really sorry to hear about Larry.

I witnessed my friends dog die in a similar way. Beautiful golden retriever, only a year old. We were all out in her garden and he was running around and suddenly he just dropped. By the time we got over to him he had gone. He was absolutely fine and did not appear to have suffered in any way. You just don't expect young(ish) animals with no outward signs of illness to go like that.

I still well up when I look at pics of my cat who was run over 10 years ago.

Funny how attached you get to 'em.

Ta. He had zero suffering which is quite a consolation and a good life in his 6 years. Nature can be a real harsh sod at times though.

Sorry to hear that mate. Lost my gorgeous lively German Shepherd a few years back, 8 years old. Developed a cough overnight and we thought it was a furball or similar. Took him to the vets and X-ray showed him riddled with stomach cancer :(

From jumping on the beds one night to being put down the next was hard to take.

Of course it will cost but vets can do an autopsy I think. Dogs are nosey sods and it is not unheard of for accidental poisoning when sniffing and licking stuff when out and about.

Lost my Dad to cancer two weeks later.

Dirty great big cruel fecking cloud over me at that point in my life.

Guest theboltonfury
Hi FB - really sorry to hear about Larry.

I witnessed my friends dog die in a similar way. Beautiful golden retriever, only a year old. We were all out in her garden and he was running around and suddenly he just dropped. By the time we got over to him he had gone. He was absolutely fine and did not appear to have suffered in any way. You just don't expect young(ish) animals with no outward signs of illness to go like that.

I still well up when I look at pics of my cat who was run over 10 years ago.

Funny how attached you get to 'em.

Thanks Helen (his name was Duke!)

I was just using the phrase 'happy as Larry'

Larry is a bloody good name for a dog though isn't it! When we are ready we'll go to Manchester Dogs home and give a dog a good home. I might call him Larry.

Guest Skinty
When we are ready we'll go to Manchester Dogs home and give a dog a good home. I might call him Larry.

It alway's nice to get them from a dog's home because then you know that you have given them a better life.

Puppies are gorgeous but I can't ever imagine buying one from a breeder now.

Larry is a bloody good name for a dog though isn't it! When we are ready we'll go to Manchester Dogs home and give a dog a good home. I might call him Larry.

Good place, we had 2 dogs from there a while back. One was good as gold, I have to say the other one was a bit "f ked in the head". Tiny dog but shat all over my dad and bit my dads arm twice!

Guest theboltonfury
It alway's nice to get them from a dog's home because then you know that you have given them a better life.

Puppies are gorgeous but I can't ever imagine buying one from a breeder now.

I know what you mean. For every decent breeder there is maybe one who just churns out puppies in not the greatest of conditions and flogs them off a production line. I've seen small kennels outside with tens of dogs running around waiting to be sold.

There is a lot to be said for seeing the parent dog and bitch if you can though. Very important as I have a little boy and seeing a settled parent is a little piece of mind.

Sorry BF - I do know the expression, 'happy as ...', but Jimothy then referred (obviously as a joke) to him being called Larry and in my haste to reply that name stuck in my mind for some daft reason. But you are right, Larry would be a good name for a future pet.

Guest theboltonfury
Sorry BF - I do know the expression, 'happy as ...', but Jimothy then referred (obviously as a joke) to him being called Larry and in my haste to reply that name stuck in my mind for some daft reason. But you are right, Larry would be a good name for a future pet.

:lol: If young Jimothy was involved, often no further explanation is needed.

Guest skullingtonjoe

My beloved dog and great friend, a nearly 6 year old Siberian Husky just literally keeled over and died on Friday when I was taking him for a wee before bed. No health problems, fed quality food, a fit dog and showed no signs of discomfort, yet he literally crumpled over and just died.

I'm absolutely devastated and just can't work out how this happened. Any one got any idea? It just seems so wrong that such an apparantly healthy animal is happy as Larry one minute and dead the next.

Condolences to you.

The loss of a pet is a very upsetting event. :(

Again, I'm no vet but have had dogs most of my life.

Sorry for your loss. I'd be devastated if my little tw@t of a terrier went like that. Love him to bits despite the way he decides to leave me for an hour now and then to kill stuff.

You just can't replace them. Well, you can; but we love them all the same. At least yours had a great, healthy life.

I honestly thought he was called Larry. No jest involved or intended.

Guest joeschmo

No ideas sorry, but my sincere condolences.

Sorry no veterinary experience (other than going) whatsoever. So sorry for your loss - the pain at the loss of a pet is inexplicable really. :(

I know it's too soon right now but this is a great website for bringing all the available rescue dogs together. Also probably too far for you to travel but just an idea......

http://www.dogsblog.com/dolly-8/

Agree with opinions on the cause of Larry's death. I think you can discount poison of any kind. I've seen a friend drop dead from an undiagnosed heart problem, too.

A rescue dog is a great idea. Give an animal that's had a rough time a good home for the rest of his/her days.

Guest AuntJess

So sorry to hear about the loss of your faithful friend. Companion animals are to be grieved over like any other family member.

(((have a hug)))

As to the rescue animals. There are a lot of greyhounds around who have a helluva life. I know someone who is into greyhound rescue. Owners race them them starve/beat them to death, when they no longer earn money for them. :angry:

And they reckon humans are superior. <_<

As to the rescue animals. There are a lot of greyhounds around who have a helluva life. I know someone who is into greyhound rescue. Owners race them them starve/beat them to death, when they no longer earn money for them. :angry:

And they reckon humans are superior. <_<

I look at the rescue sites quite a lot and there are a few greyhounds on the website I posted. They are gorgeous creatures but unfortunately because of their background they are usually not to be homed with cats. I heard they were otherwise fabulous and would have got one myself when I got my dog last year but for my moggies. :(