House Price Crash Forum

Upcoming Discussion Of Pay Cut

HOLA441

I'm due to have a group discussion with my bosses about a pay cut that's been proposed, and am looking for some advice on how to (tactfully) approach this.

My department is the only one targeted for the pay cut, having been subjected to several redundancy procedures and a previous pay cut in the recent past. Other departments are undergoing redundancy at the moment, but trail in our wake.

Pointers/advice would be helpful, as I don't want to give my employers an excuse to give me the chop in the near future!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

When we get a pay review, lots of my colleagues always go on about the cost of this and that going up. I always tell them not to mention personal stuff like that, and concentrate on you and what you do for the company. It's always worked for me.

I would stress that your more efficient with the redundancies, and the total cost of the department is 'far' less now. It's difficult to mention anything else without knowing what department it is, and the business is.

HOLA443
When we get a pay review, lots of my colleagues always go on about the cost of this and that going up. I always tell them not to mention personal stuff like that, and concentrate on you and what you do for the company. It's always worked for me.

I would stress that your more efficient with the redundancies, and the total cost of the department is 'far' less now. It's difficult to mention anything else without knowing what department it is, and the business is.

Agree to the cut, but ask for a rise as well.

Tell him you hope the financial shortfall caused to you by the wage cut won't force you to auction those photographs of him and Ms McTitties in the bushes that you took at the last office 'away day'.

Edited by juvenal

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Pointers/advice would be helpful, as I don't want to give my employers an excuse to give me the chop in the near future!

If it was me, and it came to "we can't afford our wage bill" - and I believed that the company had a long-term future - then I'd suggest that it might be possible to negotiate equity in lieu of a proportion of salary/wages.

The advantage with this strategy is that it offers a 'way out' without your needing to simply work for less reward. Conversely, if you are seen as a commodity then you'll be laughed at. If I was asked to take a pay cut, I'd be preparing my CV.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
You could negotiate a generous redundancy payment instead. If you are confident you could get another job or start your own business. The redundancy payment could help repay any mortgage.

Not if you have only been there a couple of years though!

HOLA4411
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Not quite.

Push them down the stairs?

Arrange faulty wiring?

Unfortunate tie-in-the-shredder incident?

Poisonings?

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

HOLA4412

Say you'll accept a pay with a proportional cut in your working hours. If they are going to cut the pay you may at least have some free time. And if they say we still need everyone here full time then they can't be doing so badly after all and they're lying.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

In this climate reluctantly accept, don't be bolshey as it may target you next round, try to advise collegues as well, there is FA out there and there wont be for years,

Mc D's get 2000 applications a day, there is no such thing as a bad job, if you are affraid, good, you should be.

good luck, hope you keep your job,

TF

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

What's your opinion of the trading position of the business? Are they in dire straits? Is your job essential (hope!)?

Bottom line, you have to understand the strength of your position and their need before deciding what to do. If they are stuffed and you're optional, you're screwed; if theyre ok and you're a very useful person then stand your ground.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest absolutezero
Why not go on strike?

Wouldn't that involve being in a unionised job?

On here you don't mention the idea of an employer taking the urine out of you or anything about striking or unions.

Most seem to regard unions as a scourge on society but are the first to moan when the employer has a laugh at their expense....

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Say you'll accept a pay with a proportional cut in your working hours. If they are going to cut the pay you may at least have some free time. And if they say we still need everyone here full time then they can't be doing so badly after all and they're lying.

+1.

HOLA4425

Thanks, everyone, for responding.

I'm very low in the hierarchy, so my bargaining power is restricted. However I am useful in that my charge-out rate to clients is accordingly very low. I can do the work at a reduced cost, and I'm the only person of my level left in Scotland (the rest having been made redundant).

I think my best bet is to eat humble pie and accept the cut.