House Price Crash Forum
Bloo Loo

Food Parcel 6.09%

After a few threads on here about inflation i thought if i could glean some figures based on my daughters food parcel.

I happen to have the figures for July 2008, so I can do July 2009

This is one on-line supermarket. I have not sought out the best buys from many shops. it is all food.

so

For July 2008 the basket was £36.54

For July 2009 the basket is £39.06

that is a food price inflation of 6.09%.

petrol is down from 1.18 to about 1.05 but is not in the above basket.

noteable risers were eggs, 2.64 from 1.58 and apples up 47p from £1.49

some of the items in the basket in July 2008 were also on "special", as are some items in todays basket.

Daughter is in France now and I cant even think to send her a food parcel there....I think it would be about 30% more as i found the supermarkets there very pricy indeed....either we have some serious price inflation to come or Europe has some serious price deflation, probably a bit of both.

Edited by Bloo Loo

After a few threads on here about inflation i thought if i could glean some figures based on my daughters food parcel.

This is one on-line supermarket. I have not sought out the best buys from many shops. it is all food.

so

some of the items in the basket in July 2008 were also on "special", as are some items in todays basket.

Daughter is in France now and I cant even think to send her a food parcel there....I think it would be about 30% more as i found the supermarkets there very pricy indeed....either we have some serious price inflation to come or Europe has some serious price deflation, probably a bit of both.

Come on then Loo put the list up!

Guest absolutezero

so

Does it come as a surprise to you that the Government fiddle the inflation figure?

I think everyone knows it but thanks for proving it. :)

Very true, I have found belgium and france's "tesco equivalents" to be extremely expensive compared to the uk, and this is with a weak GBP!

We are very lucky in the UK as far as shop prices are concerned. You should see how much the Belgian's pay for their DIY/home improvement products.

We have a much more competitive market in the UK and I guess our stores have lower margins. There just doesnt seem to be any room in the UK to cut prices further and I can only see further pain for the british consumer in the near term.

So the saving on 1/2 tank of petrol offsets the increases in your food parcel?

So the saving on 1/2 tank of petrol offsets the increases in your food parcel?

indeed it would. but mortgage rises may offset that, or credit card interest rises offset that.

We all have our own personal inflation.

the list includes, Milk (UP) Eggs (UP) Bread (steady) vegs (up and down) Apples (UP) bananas (down) sauces (UP) and 4 ipods (Not really, just kidding)

Interesting, the salad cream was in a money saving big squeezy bottle this time and so i prorata-ed the price and it was UP. inspite of being in a bigger money saving bottle.

and petrol, about £1.45 when oil was around $145.

course its 1.01 now when oil is around $60 IIRC. looks like a serious increase in Margin there or inflation about to materialise due to currency losses.

Thanks for this Bloo Loo! It's great to get an actual number for an average basket of goods - it's also nice to know that I'm not going crazy, and that prices really are up that much...

WTF!

What eggs are these? Local asda £2 for 15 free range, or £1 for 6 at the local shop (from real hens).

WTF!

What eggs are these? Local asda £2 for 15 free range, or £1 for 6 at the local shop (from real hens).

I know, Im paying £1 for half dozen medium at the ladys 6 doors up....straight from her back garden.

Like I say, the comparison was like for like at a supermarket.

I find the cheaper eggs have a sell by date a few days out, so the eggs tend to be old and taste little, whereas the ones from the lady are tasty and stand up in the pan.

I know, Im paying £1 for half dozen medium at the ladys 6 doors up....straight from her back garden.

Like I say, the comparison was like for like at a supermarket.

I find the cheaper eggs have a sell by date a few days out, so the eggs tend to be old and taste little, whereas the ones from the lady are tasty and stand up in the pan.

I find the slave-fed battery chicken eggs are much cheaper. And taste better too (only because I know they are cheaper)

What has started to pi$$ me off is the look I get from the guardian reading scumbag at our local sainsburys every time I complain they dont sell cheap battery eggs any more.

I find the slave-fed battery chicken eggs are much cheaper. And taste better too (only because I know they are cheaper)

What has started to pi$ me off is the look I get from the guardian reading scumbag at our local sainsburys every time I complain they dont sell cheap battery eggs any more.

another thing, since Ive moved to the country,Ive discovered that the local farmshop bacon is not only cheaper than even Iceland, but the bacon doesnt disappear in the pan!

And althought their burgers are £1 each, they are 5 inches accross when you start, and they are STILL 5 inches accross when you put them on the plate, cooked on the Barby. And they taste delicious too.

another thing, since Ive moved to the country,Ive discovered that the local farmshop bacon is not only cheaper than even Iceland, but the bacon doesnt disappear in the pan!

And althought their burgers are £1 each, they are 5 inches accross when you start, and they are STILL 5 inches accross when you put them on the plate, cooked on the Barby. And they taste delicious too.

Where you living now bloo? I have an excellent local butchers and they are very much the same wrt their products. Its very interesting to note value against cost.... eggs are eggs in mymind, although meat in particular is much better from the local butchers, even if it costs an extra 10%.

Looking at those minging chicken breasts in tesco turns my stomach, they look like protien balloons full of water.

Where you living now bloo? I have an excellent local butchers and they are very much the same wrt their products. Its very interesting to note value against cost.... eggs are eggs in mymind, although meat in particular is much better from the local butchers, even if it costs an extra 10%.

Looking at those minging chicken breasts in tesco turns my stomach, they look like protien balloons full of water.

still in a suburb of Colchester, near the reservoir.

tried a couple of scotch eggs from the butcher...80p each, but the taste! the sausage meat, the eggs, a symphony if taste....the ones from the supermarkets need something else, like mustard or ketchup....these....no.

Edited by Bloo Loo

My Grandma was councillor of Colchester IIRC, gawd bless her.

well thats very very interesting. Noel.

.............Daughter is in France now.............I think it would be about 30% more as i found the supermarkets there very pricy indeed....,,,,,,

Mine too..........we're in France at the moment and the wife is constantly moaning about the price of food.........it's possibly a bit of inflation, but mostly the fall in GBP against EUR.

Mine too..........we're in France at the moment and the wife is constantly moaning about the price of food.........it's possibly a bit of inflation, but mostly the fall in GBP against EUR.

thats right....so its gotta come here anytime soon!

thats my theory at least.

still in a suburb of Colchester, near the reservoir.

tried a couple of scotch eggs from the butcher...80p each, but the taste! the sausage meat, the eggs, a symphony if taste....the ones from the supermarkets need something else, like mustard or ketchup....these....no.

Bloo Loo have you tried that farmer's market in Marks Tay? (assuming its still there).

Some of the prices are eye watering but the food tastes great.

Bloo Loo have you tried that farmer's market in Marks Tay? (assuming its still there).

Some of the prices are eye watering but the food tastes great.

not sure its still there, Ill keep an eye out.

Im referring here to a local farmshop, with the meat out in the fields, near the reservoir, bout half a mile from me.

The French have always spent a bigger percentage of household income on food than other countries. They are also prepared to pay for quality.

Add a bottle or two of wine to your food shopping in this country, though, and your basket here is soon dearer than in France.

The French have always spent a bigger percentage of household income on food than other countries. They are also prepared to pay for quality.

Add a bottle or two of wine to your food shopping in this country, though, and your basket here is soon dearer than in France.

nah, its the price of eggs, milk, bagettes, butter and all the usuals that were cheap in france they are complaining about.

You make a valid point. The quality of French food is generally much better than we usually get in the UK, lamb doesn't taste like mutton, melons are sweet, beef isn't bright red with no marbling, I could go on...... so perhaps the French pay the producers a premium and leave the poor quality produce for the English skinflints.

First, thanks for the food figures...

and petrol, about £1.45 when oil was around $145.

course its 1.01 now when oil is around $60 IIRC. looks like a serious increase in Margin there or inflation about to materialise due to currency losses.

What's UK petrol duty? Somewhere in the region of 60p/litre?

If we do a rough and ready removal of VAT and duty we get...

Jul 2008: (1.45/1.175) - 60 = 63p

Jul 2009: (1.01/1.15) - 60 = 28p

Take away the forecourt's cut and the ratio of the two prices is close to the ratio of the two crude prices.

Any idea what the forcourt's margin is these days? I think it used to be between five and ten pence in the pound.

No idea what fuel processing and shipping (and advertising) costs are, but they won't be zero.

(If anyone can suggest better figures and formulas then go for it - I'd like to see how the sums pan out :) )

First, thanks for the food figures...

What's UK petrol duty? Somewhere in the region of 60p/litre?

If we do a rough and ready removal of VAT and duty we get...

Jul 2008: (1.45/1.175) - 60 = 63p

Jul 2009: (1.01/1.15) - 60 = 28p

Take away the forecourt's cut and the ratio of the two prices is close to the ratio of the two crude prices.

Any idea what the forcourt's margin is these days? I think it used to be between five and ten pence in the pound.

No idea what fuel processing and shipping (and advertising) costs are, but they won't be zero.

(If anyone can suggest better figures and formulas then go for it - I'd like to see how the sums pan out :) )

there you go, my point was that where lower prices should have been helping the economy, in fact lower prices a in large part negated by the fixed rate taxation....inflationary and much needed by a spend spend spend government.

We have a much more competitive market in the UK and I guess our stores have lower margins. ....

ROTFL

Poor old Tesco. All independents closing, nothing to do with them eh?