House Price Crash Forum
hedi

A Terrifiying Phase Is Begining.

it would seem that we have entered a very dangerous phase. and i dont mean just about the govenment. it seems the entire nation has decided to deal with the financial crisis in the only way it can. mass denial.

the entire country has become completely delusional . we are faced with absolute facts. world trade is falling. unemployment is soaring. pay is falling, mew has ceased to exist. pensions have lost huge value. people are working part time. bankings are rationing credit. fixed incomes are barely worth anything. a govenment in crisis. etc etc. these are facts. yet ,it seems, the people simply dont want to look at the facts.

its all about hope. that great sixties clap trap, think positive and all will be well. well thinking positive didnt make things well, so its time for phase two. go into denial.

there is very little more dangerous than when a country,en masse, goes into denial and becomes delusional about itself. think germany 1933 and 1945.

i am becoming very worried about peoples willingness to go along with what is clearly insane.

with regard to house prices. the system that got house prices to their present levels broke. it does not exist anymore. it is dead, it has ceased to be. the idea that house prices are going to take off from here is as delusional as those poor germans thinking that the war would be won when germany starts using its wonder weapons.

i have lived through the 80s and 90s recession. and to be honest, having just had the largest financial crisis for a 100 years, it appears on the surface as if nothing has happend at all.

and that scares me. it really does.

Why do you say that the conutry is dealing with the crisis with mass denial.

The population seems to be dealing with the crisis by saving more, paying off mortgage and credit card debit, spending less, holidaying in the UK, no more mewing, no new cars, starting to learn to sew, home cooking instated of ready meals. etc.

The govt are dealing with it with mass denial but I do not think the population is.

it would seem that we have entered a very dangerous phase. and i dont mean just about the govenment. it seems the entire nation has decided to deal with the financial crisis in the only way it can. mass denial.

the entire country has become completely delusional . we are faced with absolute facts. world trade is falling. unemployment is soaring. pay is falling, mew has ceased to exist. pensions have lost huge value. people are working part time. bankings are rationing credit. fixed incomes are barely worth anything. a govenment in crisis. etc etc. these are facts. yet ,it seems, the people simply dont want to look at the facts.

its all about hope. that great sixties clap trap, think positive and all will be well. well thinking positive didnt make things well, so its time for phase two. go into denial.

there is very little more dangerous than when a country,en masse, goes into denial and becomes delusional about itself. think germany 1933 and 1945.

i am becoming very worried about peoples willingness to go along with what is clearly insane.

with regard to house prices. the system that got house prices to their present levels broke. it does not exist anymore. it is dead, it has ceased to be. the idea that house prices are going to take off from here is as delusional as those poor germans thinking that the war would be won when germany starts using its wonder weapons.

i have lived through the 80s and 90s recession. and to be honest, having just had the largest financial crisis for a 100 years, it appears on the surface as if nothing has happend at all.

Good post, I've been thinking along the same lines recently.

I can see the possibility of a far right party rising to power here at some point in the not too distant future, and that, as a foreigner, worries me a great deal.

There is a lot of anger around for "those bloody foreigners that crashed the housing market and economy by stealing our jobs blah blah", IMO, and the government should absolutely take note of this, and not try to sweep it under the carpet.

Especially with the economy as messed up as it is, is England to become the new 30's Germany?

I saw something in the papers today about the police having to speak directly to victims of a a UK £80m ponzi scheme and many simply didn't believe them that the money had gone..... quite an amazing story.

The population seems to be dealing with the crisis by saving more, paying off mortgage and credit card debit, spending less, holidaying in the UK, no more mewing, no new cars, starting to learn to sew, home cooking instated of ready meals. etc.

The govt are dealing with it with mass denial but I do not think the population is.

House prices going up when there's so much uncertainty about jobs, the economy etc sounds like denial to me (I might be wrong, but to me this sounds *insane*)...

A house purchase is the biggest purchase people ever make in their whole lives, so the fact that approvals are up in june compared to may must surely indicate some level of denial?

A good part of the wealth if the UK is held by less than 10% of the population, and Im not talking yer BTL portfolio milyonaires.

They will be the hands on the tiller of the media, the civil service and big business.

They will continue as they did before, promoting their corners.

and for anyone earning 50K plus, things, everything, is looking cheap.

course, 90% of everyone DONT earn 50k plus, indeed, HALF earn less than half that. This is where the pain is being felt, and it is where revolutions always start.

Yes, if imbalances continue to get worth, we WILL have our very own Stalin, Hitler or Mr Loo the Leveller.

well when i drive the roads are full the high streets are full and pubs and bars are full. i see no sign that people are cutting down at all.

House prices going up when there's so much uncertainty about jobs, the economy etc sounds like denial to me (I might be wrong, but to me this sounds *insane*)...

A house purchase is the biggest purchase people ever make in their whole lives, so the fact that approvals are up in june compared to may must surely indicate some level of denial?

approvals up, but how many were denied?

good post Hedi. There is a surreal calm befor the storm,or maybe these things just happen in slow-mo.......give it 5-10 years maybe. As i say to the wife,i think the most gutting thing for us is that our children will not be able to have rewarding lives in the UK in 10 years or so. That said,if they choose different parameters in life then who are we to judge?Perhaps the insability in employment,the ever increasing hassle of moving around /interacting with others on these isles,will bring families and communities closer together ,as in the 3rd world,which won't neccissarily be a bad thing.

I digress,just 20 grand for a nearly new BMW 5 serise estate from a main dealer ,in compharison with the price of a rabbitt hutch ,it's good value ,still would rather keep the cash for food/heating etc,and as we all do that enmasse,government revenues fall off a cliff ,taxes go up.......etc

We are all waiting for the current incompetents to be replaced by the next lot of soon to be liars ,so there is a reason for the doldrum feeling . As I write,just imagine if liebour get in for another term!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers all,might beat the aussies at Lords today ,still wont get over Tom watson's gutting loss yesterday too quickly though!!

This is precisely what the powers that be DO NOT WANT!!! Money is debt! People paying back there debts equals less and less money in the system! That is bad news as some fvckers have to keep borrowing to keep the whole thing chugging a long!

Those pr1cks on MSE's debt free wannabe ought not be ashamed of themselves! Without them overstretching themselves we'd all be fooked! LOL!!!

The wartime analogy that comes to my mind most often is from the final episode of 'Blackadder goes forth', where they're just about to go over the top and the guns stop firing and one or two of the less intelligent characters voice the hope that this means the war is over, you know, "Thank God. We lived through it. The Great War, 1914 to 1917.", only for Blackadder to reply, "I'm afraid not. The guns have stopped because we are about to attack. Not even our generals are mad enough to shell their own men. They feel it's more sporting to let the Germans do it."

This is more or less how I see the deluded fools "proudly presenting to the market" their worthless ****boxes listed at 10% above peak selling prices.

Guest Skinty
I can see the possibility of a far right party rising to power here at some point in the not too distant future, and that, as a foreigner, worries me a great deal.

There is a lot of anger around for "those bloody foreigners that crashed the housing market and economy by stealing our jobs blah blah", IMO, and the government should absolutely take note of this, and not try to sweep it under the carpet.

Especially with the economy as messed up as it is, is England to become the new 30's Germany?

That worries me too. There will be a back lash against immigration. That much is inevitable. Is it going to be a backlash that destroys us or one a more moderate one? Also inevitable is that some innocent parties are going to be hurt.

It's still too far away to have any idea about how it will pan out though. The Tories will get in at the next general election and Cameron isn't going to reveal himself as the next Hitler. So if anything like this does happen then it will be a further five years down the line when there is opposition from a far right party that has a real chance at power (which excludes the current far right as they currently stand). So either the mainstream parties shift further to the right or they leave a large enough gap for an outside party to get in.

As far as the economy goes though, it will just be back to being the sick man of Europe for the next decade or so. I think Britain really needs to understand that it is no longer a major player in the world and to wind it's neck in. We cannot afford it. I don't know if the politicians at Westminster will ever face up to that though.

I don't think there's any danger of a personality cult building around this man:

BrownTennisPA_600x1012.jpg

You appear to have discarded the recovery in your post plus the notion that notion that debt is wealth.

Have we not lived through 10 years of glorious expansion, which has created mass wealth, all generated through debt.

You clearly don't understand that what is needed is more debt, the system has merely had a blip. Once we get the debt mountain big enough to kickstart growth you will have nothing to worry about.

well when i drive the roads are full the high streets are full and pubs and bars are full. i see no sign that people are cutting down at all.

I think people are but not that much and it's only just starting. Pubs and restaurants are certainly quieter at most times. In the places we've been in Fridays and Saturdays actually seem to be a bit busier but weekdays are dead most places.

Good post, I've been thinking along the same lines recently.

I'd like to think there'll never be enough useful idiots in this country to make this happen.

don't forget everyone, positive thinking will get us through !!!

346ok5z.jpg

This ad cracks me up...

1. The Guy looses his job

2. He jumps into his brand new car and drives around in it

IMHO he will have hefty repayments, tax, fuel etc etc, if you loose your job you need to be positive about finding a new job but you need to lower your costs quickly! I wonder if he will be as happy when he has noting to eat as all his benefits have gone on paying the fuel?

This is precisely what the powers that be DO NOT WANT!!! Money is debt! People paying back there debts equals less and less money in the system!

<snippity snip>

Deleveraging is exactly what we need.

A gradual unwinding of the worst excesses of the last few years.

Of course, if you want people with money to invest in an overleveraged asset class, it helps if you can convince them that values have reached a floor.

It also helps if they are getting a very low return on holding cash.

It also helps if they are still abit worried about the long term security of cash.

Where I live you would not have noticed a recession apart from Woolies shutting down and a few other little shops.

The main reason being that the majority of people here are employed by Education,The Health Service and a nuclear power station or are on Government benefits. Just wait until the cuts come in these fields and the shite is really gonna hit the fan across the UK.

That's when the denial will end and reality kicks in for most people and it's the exact reason why Labour will not cut spending before an election.

I'd like to think there'll never be enough useful idiots in this country to make this happen.

With widespread voter apathy you don't need *that* many idiots. I also think that most people (being as we are, animals), will rally around a "strong" leader who can point out that "they" are trying to destroy "our way of living" and that might get lazy voters off their back-side and actually vote.

With widespread voter apathy you don't need *that* many idiots. I also think that most people (being as we are, animals), will rally around a "strong" leader who can point out that "they" are trying to destroy "our way of living" and that might get lazy voters off their back-side and actually vote.