House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mugwump Boy

Videogames Get Fragged By Inflation

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/25633

Getting the latest video game could be about to get a lot more expensive following the news that Activision is slapping a premium on its Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Xbox 360 and PS3 titles.

Fans of the hit First Person Shooter (FPS) will be expected to shell out £55 when the game is released in November, taking video gaming to a record sky high price for a title without accompanying accessories.

Industry pundits are worried that if the game still proves successful, it will allow other games publishers to increase prices with possible damaging effects to parents and gamers pressured into buying the latest video games this Christmas.

Activision has moved to justify its price hike, telling gaming industry magazine MCV:

"If you look at the amount it costs to see a movie at the cinema or play a DVD, you watch it once and you’re done. A £55 game of this quality is far, far better value".

Jumping on the news, EA, one of the world's biggest publishers in the business, has confirmed that it won't be raising prices, for now.

“There has been no change in our trade pricing policy and there will be no change in RRP", the company said.

However, the new higher price from Activision doesn't seem to have affected the final street price yet, with both Amazon and Play.com selling the game on pre-order for £10 under the stated RRP.

Whether the two companies are using their strength and buying power to be able to reduce the price or whether they are trying to buck Activision's move is not certain.

One for all you fellow COD fans out there.

To be fair, I've played COD Modern Warfare for about 1-2 hours a day since I got it when it came out. Pretty good value but it'll only encourage all the other labels to push up prices on their tat...

To be fair, I've played COD Modern Warfare for about 1-2 hours a day since I got it when it came out. Pretty good value but it'll only encourage all the other labels to push up prices on their tat...

Daft trick. It will only encourage piracy.

Make it 19.99£ and everyone will buy it. It's not that difficult.

This is weird product naming, Modern Warfare was COD4. COD5 sucked. So is Modern Warfare 2, COD6?

Given how bad 5 is, I wouldnt be buying 6 without seeing a lot of favourable reviews or a demo.

Edited by Johnny Storm

So many games now have been complete disappointments, Liberty Fall of Whatever, HAWX, BF Heroes, DFX2 and have been full price games (BF Heroes excepted). It's becoming hard to trust any of them to not blatantly rip people off for crap games.

In the old days you could trust that games would be of a certain standard before release, not so now.

If the PC version is 55 quid then they can kiss my hairy one.

What servers do you go on Mugwump? I might join you sometime for a shoot.

TFH

So a £55 game is really cheap if played a lot. We are breathing air 24/7 and it is FREE.

How about the government tax breathing?

It's all about value for money. £55 for 200 hours worth of entertainment is pretty good in my book. That's less than 30p an hour.

I play on Xbox Live (Cod and Left 4 Dead mostly) - same name as on here. Annoyingly my Xbox got the Red Ring of Death last night. It's still within the extended warranty period but it's gonna be 2-6 weeks repair time. Cold turkey here I come... :(

I bought an xbox about 18 months ago, bought some used COD titles for it as I had previously played them all on the PC. About a month ago I paid £30 for the latest version and noted last week that it is now selling for £44 in most places.

On one hand, you get tens of hours of fun out of playing it but putting the price up is silly.

Also, why does the Garand M1 rifle have no killing power in COD World at War as opposed to CODs 1, 2 and 3? Also, there is no bunker blowing up game on the multiplayer on the xbox which used to be a fun game with 20 a side on the PC versions online. Sorry, went into nerd mode.

Guest skullingtonjoe

Look, if you want a good `wannabe squaddie` game then look no further than ARMA2 - it`s got everything you need: the ability to fly /drive all types of war machines; realistic bullet motion (allowances for gravity etc); you can command AI troops for `cannon fodder`; integrated VOIP and in-vehcile channels so you can speak to the crew of the tank/helicopter/apc etc. Only thing missing is hand2hand with knife / bayonets, although the chances of you getting remotely near to other players is limited as it`s generally 1 or 2 bullets = death (this is not COD(x) BTW). :lol:

Make sure you`ve got the latest drivers and if you`re running NVIDIA 9800 etc, then switch off the PhysX settings.

A great game. Over. ;)

Edited by skullingtonjoe

Oh, and those fecking dogs - lazy game programming in my book. If I wanted to play a game where I killed dogs every 30 seconds then I would have gone and found one. In the past week I have been playing online and some packs of dogs are coming constantly at you you have no chance to actually shoot anyone or play the game.

Got me so p*ssed off I considered writing my first amazon review and giving it 1 star.

Oh, and those recon planes are naff - playing earlier versions of COD on the PC online was great because, on the large maps, you could find a place to snipe or slowly work your way to an enemy base but now with the recon plane showing you where the enemy is and them where you are, all the clever stealth of previous COD versions has gone and hence the game is much inferior to previous versions.

Oh, and being able to choose whatever weapon you have have is nuts - you should only be able to have a weapon of that theatre - so Japs running around with Russian machine guns is just silly.

Oh, and when you begin as a numpty on xbox live you basically have a pistol and a bog standard rifle but those who have been playing online, and hence better, for ages have super duper weapons so you just demoralise newbies who can't take on a machine gun with a stick!

Nerd mode off!

Internationally, "CoD4" has been one of the greatest successes of the XBOX360; it's still sells relatively well. The multiplayer servers are still very busy too.

Piracy is pretty much a non-issue for the XBOX360; only the PC suffers that. Allthe publishers will focus on is console sales.

This really is just a cynical cash grab. "Infinity Ward" are IT as far as development of these games is concerned and they know they have a captive market for the title.

Me included. :(

Oh, and what the feck is it with xbox live that you seem unable to switch off numpties singing, kids saying stupid things which you hear as a kind of low mumble.

I do not use a headset and have no interest in listening to others rant but I am finding it impossible to switch off the sounds. It seems that every new game you have to manually go through each user and mute them - which can waste 2 or 3 minutes of a 10 minute game - and even then, even though you have muted them, you can still hear some feckers. What is al lthat about?

Anyone know a way I can mute all players permanently?

I like the xbox 12 foot experience, the graphics are amazing and it means you do not have to fork out 300 quid on a new VGA card everytime you buy a new game but... I would love a way to mute all players.

This is weird product naming, Modern Warfare was COD4. COD5 sucked. So is Modern Warfare 2, COD6?

Given how bad 5 is, I wouldnt be buying 6 without seeing a lot of favourable reviews or a demo.

COD5 is mad by different people who made COD4 and COD6, different game, with a similar name for some reason

I remember paying £60 a game for the N64, that must have been 10 years ago!

*Costs of cartridges vs. DVD's: significant vs. negligable.

*Nintendo were bastards! They made a huge profit on every cart sold. That business model still applies, but it's less punitive on publishers.

"QUOTE (Johnny Storm @ Jul 20 2009, 09:27 AM)

Given how bad 5 is, I wouldnt be buying 6 without seeing a lot of favourable reviews or a demo."

Two different developers, one godlike, one workmanlike, alternate in developing and releasing each title. This allows twice the time for each title to be released. "Infinity Ward" have been working on CoD6 since CoD4. It does get confusing.

(FWIW. I thought CoD5 was poor, but for a really excellent co-operative play mode. Well worth playing through.)

Edited by nightsod

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I'd like to play a ******* lovechild of Left4Dead and COD.

In real life.

Wearing a bandana.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

How can you play a FPS on a controller?

You deserve to pay silly prices for playing a FPS on a silly platform.

Best FTP was battlefield 2. Has anything beat it for gameplay yet?

FPS are made for KB and mouse.

I agree... but the 6 inch PC monitor experience is really bad for your eyes, your posture and your breathing. The 12 foot experience on the xbox is much more relaxing but the controller is no keyboard and mouse.

Oddly enough, I was talking with some IT bods this week about this and we all concluded the way forward is to buy FPS games on the PC and stick them on your LCD using something like a Media Centre. How that would work with you sat on your sofa with a KB on your lap and your mouse goodness knows where though?

Fans of the hit First Person Shooter (FPS) will be expected to shell out £55 when the game is released in November, taking video gaming to a record sky high price for a title without accompanying accessories.

Record price my ****. Streetfighter 2 for the SNES was almost £100 when it first came out.

FPS are made for KB and mouse.

Yeah but factor in the hardware prices of keeping your PC up-to-date enough across five years of games. A £55 price tag for a game is nothing in comparison to the constant graphics cards updates etc.

I've done PC gaming, never again... although I still have vivid dreams about tower captures in Planetside. Now that /was/ an FPS...

@dissipated youth

Bring your own bandana...

Live action zombie fighting

I agree... but the 6 inch PC monitor experience is really bad for your eyes, your posture and your breathing. The 12 foot experience on the xbox is much more relaxing but the controller is no keyboard and mouse.

Oddly enough, I was talking with some IT bods this week about this and we all concluded the way forward is to buy FPS games on the PC and stick them on your LCD using something like a Media Centre. How that would work with you sat on your sofa with a KB on your lap and your mouse goodness knows where though?

A good screen and decent computer and the distance isn’t that important.

Back in the day of old consoles or old games yeh 10 mins and you were high if you stopped playing.

If your concerned you can set up a wireless mouse and KB at a desk a few feet away.

You don’t need to hook it upto a TV. Just get a decent 30†computer screen rather than a 30†TV.

Yeah but factor in the hardware prices of keeping your PC up-to-date enough across five years of games. A £55 price tag for a game is nothing in comparison to the constant graphics cards updates etc.

I've done PC gaming, never again...

Ditto - every time a new game came out you were having to fork out a lot of money on a new card. Some games only working on certain makes of card too.

I've done PC gaming, never again... although I still have vivid dreams about tower captures in Planetside. Now that /was/ an FPS...

@dissipated youth

Bring your own bandana...

Live action zombie fighting

Yep a PC is usually more costly.

I have nothing against consoles but FPS you want a PC.

For most people, to make their normal PC game playable means a GPU upgrade, which is only £75 for a decent one. £150 gets you a high end one these days.

BTW there is new technology where you can get good PC games on almost any computer. You log into a remote server with a good CPU/GPU, which does the processing and streams you the video. That means you can have a crap system, as long as it can play video the graphics will be very nice.

That will likely make PC gaming cheaper than consoles and better in terms of graphics.

However we are probably looking at 3 years or longer for that technology to become feasible on a large scale.