House Price Crash Forum
leftiebeard

We're Absolutely Doomed To Ruin

Guest Daddy Bear
A Sunday Telegraph article, with a gloomy assessment of where the western world is headed economically. I'm sure that many on HPC will concur....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment...ld-beckons.html

Your reflections and comments please......

"The UK has been getting the benefit of the doubt, both in the Government bond market and also the foreign exchange market. This benefit of the doubt is not going to last forever," said the Fund.

_719666_coin_spin2_300.gif

My awful fear is that we will do exactly the opposite, incubating yet another crisis this autumn, to which we will respond with yet further spending. This is the road to ruin.

dragon.jpg

People have no idea what is coming.

I laugh when people think they are going to wait until the bottom of the market in 2010 or 2011 to snap up a cheap house.

I have news for you - the time to do that is fast receding - a tipping point is fast approaching...

dragon.jpg

- a tipping point is fast approaching...

oh boy have you got that right.

Can't say you haven't been warned.

Guest Daddy Bear
oh boy have you got that right.

Can't say you haven't been warned.

I used to think posters on here were very intuitive and ahead of the curve.

Sadly most have become so focused on the HPC and picking up a "free house" that they have become blinkered to the actual outcome that now is certain to happen.

Its like watching a train heading for the buffers and seeing some of the passengers trying to get into first class as the seats become vacant....

Guest happy?

I laugh when people think they are going to wait until the bottom of the market in 2010 or 2011 to snap up a cheap house.

I have news for you - the time to do that is fast receding - a tipping point is fast approaching...

I feel a Private Frazer moment coming on....

dragon.jpg

If you're right then I suspect that another "tangible" holding that some of us here possess would come into its own. Shan't mention it, otherwise the thread will end up in another forum.

Sadly most have become so focused on the HPC and picking up a "free house" that they have become blinkered to the actual outcome that now is certain to happen.

And that is what exactly?

Guest happy?
If you're right then I suspect that another "tangible" holding that some of us here possess would come into its own. Shan't mention it, otherwise the thread will end up in another forum.

Saffron?

dragon.jpg

What you trying to do?

Scare people into rush out to buy a house.

I agree things are going to get very bad but having a big mortgage is going to be a liability not an asset.

food and firearms?

much as I am a goldbug,it is worth bearing in mind that it is only a bit of metal.In much the same way as money is only a bit of paper with some ink with fancy patterns on.

comes pretty well down the list on maslowe's hierarchy of needs.

Edited by oracle

Guest Daddy Bear
What you trying to do?

Scare people into rush out to buy a house.

I agree things are going to get very bad but having a big mortgage is going to be a liability not an asset.

why?

food and firearms?

much as I am a goldbug,it is worth bearing in mind that it is only a bit of metal.In much the same way as money is only a bit of paper with some ink with fancy patterns on.

comes pretty well down the list on maslowe's hierarchy of needs.

Yep, garage full of agricultural implements much more useful than a safety deposit box full of sovereigns.

Guest Daddy Bear
Because we will not get the hyper inflationary scenario you are banking on.

Phew - It's all ok then....nothing to see here ...move along....fudge has told us we will not get a hyperinflationary scenario....

mind I'm not best pleased with his explanation...but we'll just take his word for it ...

(somewhere a sheep bleated.....)

Phew - It's all ok then....nothing to see here ...move along....fudge has told us we will not get a hyperinflationary scenario....

mind I'm not best pleased with his explanation...but we'll just take his word for it ...

(somewhere a sheep bleated.....)

The banks printing money is just pissing in the deflationary whirlwind.

Its like watching a train heading for the buffers and seeing some of the passengers trying to get into first class as the seats become vacant....

Mate it's been all TFH for well over a year now, and the world hasn't ended.

In fact the recession has by common concensus passed its worst point.

Now I don't believe for a minute that we will return to healthy growth any time soon, the recession has a way to go. But the more extreme views on here, yours included, are increasingly looking wide of the mark.

This is a bad recession. We have shedloads of debt. It will weigh on us for many years and we will not experience boom times again for possibly a very long time indeed. We will be forced, probably against our will, into some tough decisions as a country. None of this is rosy, and FWIW I think house prices will fall a lot, as unemployment rises a lot.

But face facts - the world ain't gonna end. This is not Zimbabwe. Your smug endless predictions of doom are a little tedious, especially with so little by way of evidence or facts to back them up <_<

Guest Daddy Bear
The banks printing money is just pissing in the deflationary whirlwind.

Is that why oil is $64 a barrel? ........up nearly 100% from its low.

If we're going to have debt-deflation or hyperinflation, but retain some kind of social order, it's worth investing in gold.

If we're "doomed to ruin" then you need agricultural land, tools, and possibly firearms. Not gold.

And there's the rub - what's worth hoarding is dependent on how bad the crash will eventually be - WHICH WE DON'T KNOW.

But even if you know it's coming, you can still do totally the wrong thing.

Guest Daddy Bear
In fact the recession has by common concensus passed its worst point.

sheep.jpg

If we're going to have debt-deflation or hyperinflation, but retain some kind of social order, it's worth investing in gold.

If we're "doomed to ruin" then you need agricultural land, tools, and possibly firearms. Not gold.

And there's the rub - what's worth hoarding is dependent on how bad the crash will eventually be - WHICH WE DON'T KNOW.

But even if you know it's coming, you can still do totally the wrong thing.

Then buy some gold and a spade, so you will be able to bury it for later ,and you can still grow some spuds