House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dragonfly

Nazi Landlord And His Callous Estate Agent

Our Landlord needs to sell, so we allowed viewings as long as we were present to protect our belongings. First viewing EA tried to enter the house without knocking the door (LL had supplied a key to EA - we lodged an objection but was ignored). Two viewings have taken place and each viewer have been mislead by the EA into believing we were the owners. A few viewers have made appointments but then cancelled. We have kept the house tidy for viewings and have all but complied with requests. Then last week we were given notice followed up with an e-mail from LL accusing us of preventing viewings and generally thwarting the sale of the property.The LL wrote that he would arrange and conduct future viewings with the EA and that OUR VIEWS ON THE MATTER WOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AND THAT WE SHOULD NOT BE AT HOME AT THESE TIMES. The EA had covered his ineptitude at the art of selling the property by dumping the blame on us which has resulted in reprisals by LL including a threat. We have written to LL noting HARASSMENT and a letter to the MD of Ward and Partners, the EA. Does anyone know how to get a prosecution concerning harassment of tenants?

Our Landlord needs to sell, so we allowed viewings as long as we were present to protect our belongings. First viewing EA tried to enter the house without knocking the door (LL had supplied a key to EA - we lodged an objection but was ignored). Two viewings have taken place and each viewer have been mislead by the EA into believing we were the owners. A few viewers have made appointments but then cancelled. We have kept the house tidy for viewings and have all but complied with requests. Then last week we were given notice followed up with an e-mail from LL accusing us of preventing viewings and generally thwarting the sale of the property.The LL wrote that he would arrange and conduct future viewings with the EA and that OUR VIEWS ON THE MATTER WOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AND THAT WE SHOULD NOT BE AT HOME AT THESE TIMES. The EA had covered his ineptitude at the art of selling the property by dumping the blame on us which has resulted in reprisals by LL including a threat. We have written to LL noting HARASSMENT and a letter to the MD of Ward and Partners, the EA. Does anyone know how to get a prosecution concerning harassment of tenants?

with a lot more evidence that this

tim

Just don't allow the viewings. It is your right to have peaceful enjoyment. Your best bet would be to get some urgent advice from CAB and perhaps send a legal letter stating that they are not to enter the property. If he wants you out he will need to give a s.21 and 2 months notice (unless longer is stated in the contract).

Sounds like it is time to change the locks and put in a burglar alarm, and make sure you are at home when he finds this out so that you can call the police while he tries to show the house to the potential buyers.

He has given you 2 months notice using the correct Section 21, hasn't he?

It's unreasonable behaviour but is very far from harassment. You do not have a case, by any stretch of the imagination.

You will have to deal with it yourself. Change the locks. Don't allow anyone in when it is not convenient for you (or don't allow anyone in at all). You are under no obligation to allow viewings.

Do you mind if I ask which branch?

EDIT: to add this colourful image from their website...

FB_web_banner.gif

Edited by twatmangle

Guest skullingtonjoe

FB_web_banner.gif

I`m going to try my best to hack it and replace with lemonparty image.

If I cannot achieve my goals now, it is just a matter of time until I develop the requisite skills. I urge all others on this site to become `leet haXXors` (of the non-14-year-old script kiddie variety that is!) :unsure::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's unreasonable behaviour but is very far from harassment. You do not have a case, by any stretch of the imagination.

You will have to deal with it yourself. Change the locks. Don't allow anyone in when it is not convenient for you (or don't allow anyone in at all). You are under no obligation to allow viewings.

Don't change the locks. You aren't allowed to do this.

Yes he is. It's his home and he's entitled to make sure it is secure. If an over zealous EA is letting himself in without permission then it's perfectly acceptable to change the lock.

Yes he is. It's his home and he's entitled to make sure it is secure. If an over zealous EA is letting himself in without permission then it's perfectly acceptable to change the lock.

Yes and no. In theory, he's probably agreed not to in the contract. In practice, what the hell is the EA or LL going to do about it? Presumably the tenant is already effectively under notice, so my inclination would be just to change the barrel if it's a Yale - and write / email the agent telling them you have done so.

The key (no pun intended) is

1. Let THEM take YOU to court. They won't. What for? to get an eviction notice? That'll take more than two months anyway.

2. Just in case they do, be able to prove you have acted reasonably - i.e telling them you have changed the locks, not letting them bring viewers on a wasted journey.

If your doors have a lever handle you could try one of these, which doesn't damage the door in any way:

http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/s2b/bui_pdfs/unilock.pdf

How does it work?

The Uni-lock is attached to the door by clamping it over the lever on the outside of the door.

Once fitted to any standard size door lever, it can remain firmly attached until the user

moves out of the property.

The Uni-Lock locks the door by covering the lever on the outside of the door. By denying

access to the lever, it cannot be turned and the door cannot be opened.

To unlock the door, the user simply uncovers the handle by unlocking the lid. This then

allows access to the handle so the door can be opened. As the door handle can be turned

inside the casing, the Uni-lock does not need to be removed in order to open the door.

Not tried it myself, but it looks a nifty invention. Nearly all other portable locks are designed to keep you safe while you are inside the room - not the issue here.

Yes and no. In theory, he's probably agreed not to in the contract. In practice, what the hell is the EA or LL going to do about it? Presumably the tenant is already effectively under notice, so my inclination would be just to change the barrel if it's a Yale - and write / email the agent telling them you have done so.

The key (no pun intended) is

1. Let THEM take YOU to court. They won't. What for? to get an eviction notice? That'll take more than two months anyway.

2. Just in case they do, be able to prove you have acted reasonably - i.e telling them you have changed the locks, not letting them bring viewers on a wasted journey.

I agree.

The LL/LA is wrong to have strangers traipsing round your house when you are not there and you would be wrong to change the locks.

I would reply in writing (email) to say that you require a minimum of 24 hours notice for any viewings. You will, however be there (to protect your valuables) and you will allow the EA to accompany the viewer IF this is convenient for you. If they arrange an appointment and it is not convenient then don't allow the viewing. Personally (being the militant type) I would say no to the first one on principle and then wait round the corner to make sure they don't let themselves in without your permission. If they do then I would turn up to the viewing and ask what they were all doing in your home and then put the additional bolt on the door!! (or I would tell them all that the reason you were not able to allow the viewing was because you have swine flu and had just popped to the shop for some milk).

FB_web_banner.gif

Due to the fact that the EA may be facing the charge of misconduct, I cannot reveal the Branch just yet.

Just don't allow the viewings. It is your right to have peaceful enjoyment. Your best bet would be to get some urgent advice from CAB and perhaps send a legal letter stating that they are not to enter the property. If he wants you out he will need to give a s.21 and 2 months notice (unless longer is stated in the contract).

We read our contract before signing up nearly 2 yrs ago but we still tripped up about viewings. LL can only market the property during the 2 month notice period and not before. However we gave our consent which was an inadvertant error. Had we told him to bugger off it would have resulted in 'notice' straight away. Because the law is skewed heavily towards Landlords it is often difficult to bring them to book. We have, perhaps, prolonged our tenancy a little but at the cost of all this aggro. Viewings have now stopped. According to the chartiy SHELTER who offer exellent tenancy advice for free, you can change the locks if your LL or his agent are entering unreasonably, so long as you return the old locks and keys to him/her.

We read our contract before signing up nearly 2 yrs ago but we still tripped up about viewings. LL can only market the property during the 2 month notice period and not before. However we gave our consent which was an inadvertant error.

This is incorrect.

You are entitled to quite enjoyment, a right that you cannot be asked to give away in standard contract.

tim

Of course you are. How can they stop you? Go to a judge (2 months minimum) to apply for an order to allow them to do something (enter the property) they have no right to do in the first place?

They don't have the OP's permission to enter his home, yet they seem intent on doing so. Changing the locks is not an option, it is an imperative.

Edited by MacGuffin