House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrashedOutAndBurned

Pregnant Women Should Isolate Themselves?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8157755.stm

Expectant mothers and parents with children under five are being advised to avoid crowds and unnecessary travel to reduce the risk of swine flu.

The government guidance is being re-issued after a woman with the virus died shortly after giving birth.

Meanwhile the National Childbirth Trust has been accused of "scaremongering" for suggesting women delay pregnancy.

Knowing the fears and anxieties pregnant women face this is a pretty amazing item to use as the main headline on the BBC.

This is basically suggesting complete isolation. Many women will work in environments with large groups of people or will have to cross crowds to get to work. And how much travel is too much?

With the government pumping up the fear will pregnant women suddenly get the right to sign themselves off work?

I couldn't believe this either. Most pregnant women still work and will need to go to work. Others, with children, have to take their other children places.

However Ray Bouuulger pointed out that the sustenance of current house prices was "going to be difficult" with "this sort of... woman" not going to work and suggested that it was the patriotic duty to the National Homebuyer's Party to risk illness and death of any child for house prices. "Come on" he bellowed "You can always have another baby but if house prices drop they'll never go back up again. How about thinking about OTHER people".

Stephanee Flounders, Economic Editor of the Brown Broadcasting Corporation has called for "Calm", reiterating Mr Bouuuulger's advice to "Please don't put your 'child' before Gordon's actual child - house prices. Gordon has invested billions upon billions for the ramping of house prices to be sure that young people, especially women (whom he and Mr Mendolsohn despise as being 'dirty' and nowhere near as clean and lithe as men) are kept in debt. Please think again, women - as Ray says , have another kid - save our property prices and go to work. Illness lasts for a week but Gordon's election is forever".

All of the above is untrue and I apologise to everyone.

My OH (pregnant) contracted swine flu this week (diagnosed by symptoms - so will appear in the official figures of swine flu - however no testing was done to ascertain that she has it) and she's fine now.

Sufficed to say the Relenza inhalator that she was given at the hospital (unlicenced drug that has had no clinical trials) went straight in the bin (well precisely it's sitting in my office - never know some mug might pay me an obscene ammount of money for it when the panic really sets in)

I couldn't believe this either. Most pregnant women still work and will need to go to work. Others, with children, have to take their other children places.

Oh look, yet another reason not to employ women of child bearing age!! <_<

Hate to break this to you all, but pregnant women are dropping like flies in Australia, and we don't have the Northern Line. Swine Flu is causing premature births as well as post natal complications and mums and babies are ending up in intensive care - or in a box, which for the families is probably the greatest tragedy. Generally I think that swine flu is over-rated, but not in this situation, and since its a short phenomena that will be over in about 3 months, no other measures needed - its good advice.

Hate to break this to you all, but pregnant women are dropping like flies in Australia, and we don't have the Northern Line. Swine Flu is causing premature births as well as post natal complications and mums and babies are ending up in intensive care - or in a box, which for the families is probably the greatest tragedy. Generally I think that swine flu is over-rated, but not in this situation, and since its a short phenomena that will be over in about 3 months, no other measures needed - its good advice.

So what do pregnant women do? Say you work in a large office building and someone there has been treated for swine flu.

Can you just sign yourself off after this new Guvmint advice?

If it was my wife and she felt too close for comfort to swine flu I'd say just don't go in - tell the Doctor you're crippled with anxiety over swine flu if you need and get signed off.

I thought flu was an infection of the lungs.

still, every breath you take contains 8 million germs, all trying to find host to breed in, better ensure pregnant women are given and forced to live in an iron lung, complete with 24 hour NHS care.

and just in case pregnant women arent scared enough already..heres a picture of the devil himselfpeanut.jpg

post-10213-1248000758_thumb.jpg

So what do pregnant women do? Say you work in a large office building and someone there has been treated for swine flu.

Can you just sign yourself off after this new Guvmint advice?

If it was my wife and she felt too close for comfort to swine flu I'd say just don't go in - tell the Doctor you're crippled with anxiety over swine flu if you need and get signed off.

This is the problem. We do what we are programmed to do. Business as usual. Most of the time it works towards our survival in the environment, but at times when survival conditions change it generally doesn't. Its a bit like the Jews in Germany in the 1930s. A great many wouldn't leave because they simply couldn't believe that the german people could be so incredibly irrational as to continue to support the Nazi measures. This was before the panic attempts to leave, and of course many others didn't have a destination. But many people died because the new conditions didn't fit with their programming for survival as established by the old "business as usual". Its called denial.

When I was in London it used to drive me nuts when people said they had to drive an hour to get 3 miles spewing noxious gases into the atmosphere and with a million others entering into an orgy of destruction of the health of the entire population, since they couldn't possibly take the tube because they were 'too sensitive'. However, if I were a pregnant woman forced to take a tube right now, this is one time I would be saying 'I am really am too sensitive'.

I like your advice to your wife.

http://tvnz.co.nz/health-news/swine-flu-fe...t-women-2851450

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
I thought flu was an infection of the lungs.

still, every breath you take contains 8 million germs, all trying to find host to breed in, better ensure pregnant women are given and forced to live in an iron lung, complete with 24 hour NHS care.

and just in case pregnant women arent scared enough already..heres a picture of the devil himselfpeanut.jpg

Have you been on The Sunday Mail this morning?

Minimising contacts if you're a pregnant woman is probably as practical advice as you can get right now.

See the links later for current advice from the Health Protection Agency and CDC.

Have you been on The Sunday Mail this morning?

no need, i earn chicken feed writing their ideas :lol:

I know 4 doesn't sound like a lot, but there are only 8 people here ;)

I actually don't rate swine flu very high. Its not that deadly. Less so than normal flu from what I can gather. There are actually more than 4, just not in intensive care. But there just appears to be a focused effect on pregnant women and kids that doesn't scan to the rest of the population. Anyway, I reckon people have to judge their own risks and if they die they die. That's nature. The fittest for survival within the environment. Anyway, is commerce and staying on the machine in sickness and in health, for better for worse, and generally for poorer so dreadfully important that it over-rides health? That is the programming, but is it real?

I know 4 doesn't sound like a lot, but there are only 8 people here ;)

I actually don't rate swine flu very high. Its not that deadly. Less so than normal flu from what I can gather. There are actually more than 4, just not in intensive care. But there just appears to be a focused effect on pregnant women and kids that doesn't scan to the rest of the population. Anyway, I reckon people have to judge their own risks and if they die they die. That's nature. The fittest for survival within the environment. Anyway, is commerce and staying on the machine in sickness and in health, for better for worse, and generally for poorer so dreadfully important that it over-rides health? That is the programming, but is it real?

Ok, no-one wants a pregnant woman to be ill, its bad enough as it is without the flu, and there is the child.

still, pregnant women have a special place in all our hearts, so if its fear they want to induce, they have chosen a great target.

Ok, no-one wants a pregnant woman to be ill, its bad enough as it is without the flu, and there is the child.

still, pregnant women have a special place in all our hearts, so if its fear they want to induce, they have chosen a great target.

Here's a link for current recommendations for pregnant women (US)

Link

And the UK

Link

Here's a link for current recommendations for pregnant women

Link

top advice. thanks.

although it appears the tamiflu doesnt work, and they are happy to trial the thing on the women.

"Although the safety and efficacy of oseltamivir during pregnancy have not been firmly established, the benefits of this antiviral drug are likely to outweigh the risks. Novel H1N1 seems to be resistant to amantadine and rimantadine, so these drugs should not be used in people with suspected novel H1N1 infection."

but they dont know.

top advice. thanks.

although it appears the tamiflu doesnt work, and they are happy to trial the thing on the women.

"Although the safety and efficacy of oseltamivir during pregnancy have not been firmly established, the benefits of this antiviral drug are likely to outweigh the risks. Novel H1N1 seems to be resistant to amantadine and rimantadine, so these drugs should not be used in people with suspected novel H1N1 infection."

but they dont know.

So you either take it or not.

So you either take it or not.

now, if Mrs Loo was pregnant again, which she isnt...hopefully,,,what would I do.

the advice, avoid the tube and crowds.

so I would encourage her to stay at home....then, should I avoid the tube and crowds?....why yes, of course I should, otherwise I could bring it home.

where does it end?

Doesnt seem much one can do....stay at home or carry on?

now, if Mrs Loo was pregnant again, which she isnt...hopefully,,,what would I do.

the advice, avoid the tube and crowds.

so I would encourage her to stay at home....then, should I avoid the tube and crowds?....why yes, of course I should, otherwise I could bring it home.

where does it end?

Doesnt seem much one can do....stay at home or carry on?

Pretty much.

Pretty much.

I think your current advice is best...Keep calm..carry on.