House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loginandtonic

Does Old (ie 10 Years+) Art Like Oil Paintings With A Good Frame

i know it sounds like a dumb question, but i just thought if me or any of us who read the board are out and about and we see a small or large oil painting in a good frame (not one of the mass produced in the far east ones, though i acknowledge some of these painters there are actually impressively talented given the quick production) what would be a "It's okay i haven't been mugged" price to pay, like a bottom line basic value of any oil painting?

the value of the frame?

or is there like a usual minimum? just like you'd not expect to pay less than 30p for a can of Coke

i know it sounds like a dumb question, but i just thought if me or any of us who read the board are out and about and we see a small or large oil painting in a good frame (not one of the mass produced in the far east ones, though i acknowledge some of these painters there are actually impressively talented given the quick production) what would be a "It's okay i haven't been mugged" price to pay, like a bottom line basic value of any oil painting?

the value of the frame?

or is there like a usual minimum? just like you'd not expect to pay less than 30p for a can of Coke

What do you call a good frame? 100+ years old gilt frames have a value provided they are in good condition. I would only buy a painting if I liked the painting and the frame together.

What do you call a good frame? 100+ years old gilt frames have a value provided they are in good condition. I would only buy a painting if I liked the painting and the frame together.

i mean a frame you respecably use for another painting, but i appreciate that point i think i know what you mean, i still wonder my original question though - is there a bottom price for an oil painting no matter what?

i mean a frame you respecably use for another painting, but i appreciate that point i think i know what you mean, i still wonder my original question though - is there a bottom price for an oil painting no matter what?

I am not quite sure what your query is. If the frame suits the painting, then this is fine and shouldn't detract. If the painting is amateurish, then it is not worth very much, but if it is in a good frame, then you can use the frame for something else. Always check for detail and fine application, particularly, the face and hands if it's a portrait. Just because it is over 100 years old doesn't make it valuable. Even if it is by a renowned artist, it doesn't mean it's very valuable. It's all down to the subject matter. i.e. a dark scene of sheep in a field or a bland landscape is not desirable, but a pretty lady is. I recently purchased an oil painting on ebay. The photos were misleading and I ended up paying well over for an amatuer painting. Still, it's a nice subject and I can live with it. I also have a 200 year-old oil painting, which is a lovely subject, but in a repro frame. When I got a quote for a new frame, it was more than £600, which is what I paid for the painting. Will have to live with this frame also, but I don't mind a bit of wear and tear, it adds to the charm. Perhaps if I find an old frame to fit one day, I can change it. I suppose at the end of the day, it's all down to personal taste and whether you can afford or want to have a picture reframed.

I hope this answers your query.

I am not quite sure what your query is. If the frame suits the painting, then this is fine and shouldn't detract. If the painting is amateurish, then it is not worth very much, but if it is in a good frame, then you can use the frame for something else. Always check for detail and fine application, particularly, the face and hands if it's a portrait. Just because it is over 100 years old doesn't make it valuable. Even if it is by a renowned artist, it doesn't mean it's very valuable. It's all down to the subject matter. i.e. a dark scene of sheep in a field or a bland landscape is not desirable, but a pretty lady is. I recently purchased an oil painting on ebay. The photos were misleading and I ended up paying well over for an amatuer painting. Still, it's a nice subject and I can live with it. I also have a 200 year-old oil painting, which is a lovely subject, but in a repro frame. When I got a quote for a new frame, it was more than £600, which is what I paid for the painting. Will have to live with this frame also, but I don't mind a bit of wear and tear, it adds to the charm. Perhaps if I find an old frame to fit one day, I can change it. I suppose at the end of the day, it's all down to personal taste and whether you can afford or want to have a picture reframed.

I hope this answers your query.

thank you