House Price Crash Forum

Saw a really ugly, plain house yesterday in a stunning amazing location. Been on market since May at 395K. Since then vendors (getting divorced) have dropped twice to 350K. I offered 300K (no sold prices to relate to - very isolated home).

However, home is heated/cooking by LGP. Looking on msn looks like an ongoing battle with suppliers and an expensive source of heat/cooking.

Do you think LPG heat affects the price of the property? Also on septic - anybody know anything about what to look out for and have checked on septics? There was a small sewerage smell on front garden (but was extremely hot day). I have no idea, but all advice listened to =- thank you (or should I be on mse - :ph34r: )

Of course, my offer may be declined, in which case I will walk.

LPG is somewhat more expensive than mains gas, but I think you can now buy/transfer the tank between suppliers so it should be easier to get a better price. Otherwise you could convert it to oil, I'm not sure of the current price differential though, it used to be a bit more expensive, but the ease of changing suppliers was attractive.

A septic tank should be fine, the sludge needs emptying annually which varies in price, but overall it will be far cheaper than mains sewerage. I think it should be mostly water at the top (and not be smelly) but if it hasn't been emptied it might have filled up with sludge which could be causing the smell.

Thanks for the input. I've done some research and as you say looks like suppliers can be changed from April 09, so pricing should be a little more competetive on the LPG. My offer was declined anyway. Just have to play a waiting game & see what/if anything develops. <_<

two penneth on the septic tank front....I used a product called Bio Magic in my septic tank..reduces the times between having it cleaned out and no smell at all so long as you follow directions. It is a very "green" product and not expensive and does what it says on bottle....no connection with company.

Thanks Old Eddy. Your comments noted on Bio........ Im still undertaking research as I'm hopeful this place may come back to me.. Anything else you can tell me on septics in particular would be very helpful.