House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jizz

What Is The Real Price?

Saturday browsing for bathroom suites at local and national outlets. Looking to refurbish 1 bathroom, 1 ensuite and a downstairs W.C.

I'm based in the West Midlands.

I saw the price of a toilet and basin built around cupboard of reasonable quality. Marked up at £799 and thought, yeah right. Asked the salesguy, who it turns out is the part owner of the local posh bathroom retailer said it really was £799. I was like WTF?

So I ask how is business I ask? Reply - Very good. I ask at this end (high end) of the market? Reply - this is the mid range? The price does not include even include taps and the cistern.

Our nearest Wickes has suites and shower cubicles marked up at crazy prices.

I got a 3 piece suite, plain white, nice quality from a national retailer about 2006 for £180. Decent taps and all fittings included.

What is happening? Am I getting old and doing the "I remember when a pint was £1" or are these retailers pushing up prices. Perhaps the sheep are no longer there with their plastic buying the shop at keeping volume high?

Think I ended up paying £2k including fitting for a fairly low end bathroom (including wall and floor tiles - they're not cheap!) in early 2007 so the prices you're seeing don't seem that high if you're looking mid to high. Given you probably replace a bathroom once every 10-20 years does it really make much of a difference? Just don't borrow for it :-)

Not sure what the point to the above post is to be honest.

£2,000 for a bathroom is cheap if your house has gone up by £20,000 in a year, but today £2,000 to have a sh1t......... come on!

If they made more than 15% then I would be suprised, £120 for holding £680 stock. £120 won't pay the cleaner for a week. So make your bathroom last 20 years not 10. Buy a white one.

Think I ended up paying £2k including fitting for a fairly low end bathroom (including wall and floor tiles - they're not cheap!) in early 2007 so the prices you're seeing don't seem that high if you're looking mid to high. Given you probably replace a bathroom once every 10-20 years does it really make much of a difference? Just don't borrow for it :-)

Personally, I expect a bathroom to last a lot more than 10 years. Replacing one is a biggest pain the a **** imaginable and not something that you want to do that often.

tim

Personally, I expect a bathroom to last a lot more than 10 years. Replacing one is a biggest pain the a **** imaginable and not something that you want to do that often.

tim

My mother's bathroom dates from 1910. It's only ever had cosmetic changes - eg, paintwork, lino etc. The bath, sink etc are original as is the tiling. I think the bathtaps might have been replaced around 1960. Looking on ebay, those clawfoot roll top baths are worth quite a lot. So if you never do anything to your bathroom you might make some money in addition to saving it...

My mother's bathroom dates from 1910. It's only ever had cosmetic changes - eg, paintwork, lino etc. The bath, sink etc are original as is the tiling. I think the bathtaps might have been replaced around 1960. Looking on ebay, those clawfoot roll top baths are worth quite a lot. So if you never do anything to your bathroom you might make some money in addition to saving it...

Yes qtf is going on? I have NEVER replaced a bathroom - how exactly does a sh1tpan wear out? Do people never clean them nowadays, 'oh the bathroom smells, we'd better chuck it out and replace it'????

Guest happy?
Yes qtf is going on? I have NEVER replaced a bathroom - how exactly does a sh1tpan wear out? Do people never clean them nowadays, 'oh the bathroom smells, we'd better chuck it out and replace it'????

I've replaced three bathrooms. I've always bought run-down houses and factored the cost into the price. Most houses re-decorated in the 1970's replaced perfectly good cast-iron or rolled-steel baths with some plastic/fibreglass avocado-coloured crap designed to last no more than ten years.

The other problem with tupperware bathtubs is heat-loss - as soon as you stop running the hot tap the water starts to freeze whereas iron and steel tend to remain warmer longer.

Try screwfix, or your local plumbers merchants.

I agree about screwfix, they're excellent.

For example:

Salcombe Modern

Bathroom Suite

- Front Panel Included

- Bath with 2 Tapholes

- Basin with 1 Taphole

- Close Coupled, 6 Ltr

- Fittings Supplied

Only

£299.00

You just need to pay somebody to fit it. If you can do it yourself you save a fortune.

The other problem with tupperware bathtubs is heat-loss - as soon as you stop running the hot tap the water starts to freeze whereas iron and steel tend to remain warmer longer.

I have never worked out why modern baths don't have a layer of styrofoam insulation, perhaps they do now. But then I've never replaced a bathroom...always having rented ;) .

Besides, I've always been of the opinion that you should live with something for a year before deciding to replace/change it. After 12 months you are usually less worried about it and so save the cash.

I've just taken a claw footed, roll top bath out of my house. I offered it to anybody who would take it, colleagues, friends, salvage yards, builders. Non of them wanted the hastle of getting it out of my house, so I took a sledge hammer to it and too it out in pieces.

Guest happy?
I have never worked out why modern baths don't have a layer of styrofoam insulation, perhaps they do now. But then I've never replaced a bathroom...always having rented ;) .

Besides, I've always been of the opinion that you should live with something for a year before deciding to replace/change it. After 12 months you are usually less worried about it and so save the cash.

Generally, I'd agree with the sentiment but in the case of crappy bathtubs leaking through sealings/ceilings you're better-off getting a new bath. Most people walk away from a house with a bad bathroom - one of the reasons I've bought cheaper houses I guess.

The fact that an entire country is running around obsessed with the business of bathroom replacement suggests to me that we all have had too much money. There was a time when a bathroom wasn't expected to be replaced very often. Its not like a frock you know (and there was a time when 2 good frocks in the wardrobe was considered 'very nice thank you very much'). Do we really need all this stuff in our lives. How many toilets do you want? (2 is good. Then one person can be on the toilet and the other one doesn't have to be busting)

Does your mum's bath have an enamel surface?

I remember from my childhood having baths in winter (Only one a week on Sunday nights of course!) where the water would be hot but my backside was still cold as it took ages for the surface to warm up!

Brother in-law has popped over to France on the ferry and stocked up and bathroom and kitchen fittings several times.

Prices are half what we pay for them here.

Edited by Olebrum

Quite often you get what you pay for - if you buy the crap in bathstore.com or a lot B&Q's stuff then don't moan when it does not fit properly or work well.

If you are going to go middle market, go for Ideal Standard or similar - because if you do manage to break or something fails, you can replace it without redoing the whole bathroom. Some of the cheaper 'stylish' taps, mixers and showers are plastic gubbins inside - no chance. Buy basic Grohe stuff or a proper Pegler one - solid brass insides - especially if you live in an area where things fur up.

Oh, and ALWAYS fit accessible isolation valves before every appliance - or you'll regret it.

The top end Laufen, Matki and stuff like that costs a lot, but it IS almost always a perfect fit and their aftersales service is great - you won't get that with a cheap Turkish made thing that is only approximate in size ...... or be ready to buy a LOT of silicone.....